Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th August 2007, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If its possible to repair, I am pretty sure a competent grey-market chap in calcutta could help you out.

But hearing on the slaps and drops, I think its best for you to replace. The 30 GB was about 10.5 K in Bombay last I checked.
Thanks GTO. Yups, the HD is definitely beyond repair. What I was looking at was replacing the HD itself, dunno whether that's possible or not!

The grey market price in Mumbai is Heera Panna or some other place? 10.5K is not bad, considering it still retails for USD 300 abroad. Maybe I'll pick one up the next time I'm in there.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 08:08   #17
BHPian

My ipod also stop working and taking to service centre , they say its burnt and I also see traces of black carbon near cable, not sure how it happened. The service centre guy said it is not repairable, does anyone think i should run around and find out if this can be repaired or its not worth it??
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 02:42   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up iPod Service Center

Check out this by googling "ipod battery india" or go straight to Podfreq FM Transmitter, iPod Battery, iPod USB Power Adapter, iPod USB Charger, iPod internal replacement battery in India, Volta

I am sure this would help iPod woes
Cheers !!!
mac_guy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Any *trusted* ipod repair chaps in Blr ?

Every second mobile phone repair centre offers to fix iPods but its mostly trial and error method or to salvage parts.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:19   #20
BHPian

try jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , mobiblu , Sandisk. they are good
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is there any good ipod repair centers in Bangalore? The ipod is out of warranty and the authorized apple service centers seem to be expensive.

My son dropped my ipod nano 3rd generation from the apartment balcony. It is highly dented at a corner and shows a white screen when switched on. The ipod costed 9000 two years back. Should i get a new one or get it repaired? The repaired one might fail soon considering the impact while falling.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 16:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Is there any good ipod repair centers in Bangalore? The ipod is out of warranty and the authorized apple service centers seem to be expensive.

My son dropped my ipod nano 3rd generation from the apartment balcony. It is highly dented at a corner and shows a white screen when switched on. The ipod costed 9000 two years back. Should i get a new one or get it repaired? The repaired one might fail soon considering the impact while falling.
recently during the rains some water seeped in to my 3rd gen Nano and click wheel is gone. I went to apple service centre and they quoted 80% of the product cost to replace with a refurbished Nano with 3 months warranty.(ipod with ipod. no cables etc)

I gave up on them and removed the back casing. Now waiting to purchase phillips screw drivers to open the Nano. I hope I can salvage it or else it will become one of the most expensive pen drivers
indian21r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:03   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My 80 GB iPod has hung up thrice in the last 2 months. This never happened earlier. Needed a hard reset (menu + center button simultaneously pressed for 10 seconds) to get back up and running.

Is it on its way out?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 21:09   #24
BHPian

Default Re: iPod Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My 80 GB iPod has hung up thrice in the last 2 months. This never happened earlier. Needed a hard reset (menu + center button simultaneously pressed for 10 seconds) to get back up and running.

Is it on its way out?
GTO - Any luck with yours? My 80GB is on it's death bed too. It does not hold charge and I cannot even power it up through USB (Though it turn on and plays fine through adapter. I might try and get the battery replaced but need to figure out a place that does a swap in Bombay.

P.S. After three ipod's (All HD based), I have figured out that these devices have a shelf life of about 3 years! Damn you, Apple for getting meaddicted to the finest Mp3 player in the market!!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 09:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
GTO - Any luck with yours? My 80GB is on it's death bed too. It does not hold charge and I cannot even power it up through USB (Though it turn on and plays fine through adapter. I might try and get the battery replaced but need to figure out a place that does a swap in Bombay.

P.S. After three ipod's (All HD based), I have figured out that these devices have a shelf life of about 3 years! Damn you, Apple for getting meaddicted to the finest Mp3 player in the market!!
I had the same problem where I needed the adapter to turn it on. I ordered a battery from ebay.com. I used the videos on youtube.com to open up my ipod.
mbhangui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 09:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
I had the same problem where I needed the adapter to turn it on. I ordered a battery from ebay.com. I used the videos on youtube.com to open up my ipod.
I looked at ebay as well - I guess they are about $10 or so. I would go through this route if I can ascertain the correct part number.

Do you have the 80 Gig Classic as well? How's it been after the battery replacement? I wish Apple would launch the 128 Gig Touch so I have an excuse to get another fruit
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:11   #27
BHPian

I suppose that nowadays gadgets are designed for a average life of 3-5 years beyond which it automatically becomes technologically obsolete, hence no point in repairing old stuff. Just move on in life and pick up some latest one.
Moreover there is very little to be repaired these days as electronics are so integrated in a chip unlike olden days.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 13:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

I seem to be a lucky iPod owner, as my 5.5Gen 30GB iPod has just completed 4years now. Other than the battery life getting almost halved to about 8hrs, everything else is fine.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 14:06   #29
BHPian

I too have been a fortunate iPod user since the past 5.5 years. My 1st gen. 20GB version has been rough handled at times and also exposed to water once when it was placed in a bag next to a leaking water bottle. Surprisingly, it escaped without any issues. The battery seems to be holding up well too after so many years.

Did have an issue with the hard disk of my Macbook recently and had to get it replaced. Flash memory or SSD seem to be the more reliable options over conventional HD.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 12:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I looked at ebay as well - I guess they are about $10 or so. I would go through this route if I can ascertain the correct part number.

Do you have the 80 Gig Classic as well? How's it been after the battery replacement? I wish Apple would launch the 128 Gig Touch so I have an excuse to get another fruit
Yes I have the 80 G classic model. After the battery replacement, my ipod is running fine. However the replace battery is slightly bulged out and the back cover does not close properly.
mbhangui is offline   Reply With Quote