Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th October 2016, 16:49   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7

The phone has been permanently discontinued by Samsung today. Otherwise excellent piece of tech died an unnatural death.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_perm...news-21001.php

I was about to get one from a friend in US in September but stopped short after hearing about the first recall. Don't know what would have been the refund process for units bought from other countries.

The handset was marred with problems starting from initial days. Units exploding, catching fire, although Samsung did a good job by acknowledging the situation early on. Recalled all the sold units and started issuing replacements in short span of time (too much hurry again?). Now the replacement units has also been diagnosed with the same issues. It seems the problem is inherent to the phone circuitry itself, not just the batteries and samsung does not have much of the clue.

It underlines the importance of testing (launch) and troubleshooting (relaunch) and a lesson for other companies in all technology realms. Wonder how Samsung caught itself on such a wrong footing. It was the top end device from a top most company, when there are so many tiny companies launching thousands of phones out there and no one has been reported with such a mess. The first of its kind in history.

Hope they come out strong and clean with future products. It is really a good and innovative company. Going through a hard time plus may be the overhang of success will be gone for some time to come!!

Last edited by gupta_chd : 11th October 2016 at 16:52.
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7

The company I used to work for was a supplier for some components in certain Samsung mobile phone models (a few years back, no connection to Note 7). So I have a bit of experience working with Samsung on their mobile phones pre-launch and they were quite diligent in their testing. I am surprised how this happened at Samsung. Maybe a case of rushing the launch due to market pressures? It's a real setback for the brand. I guess it remains to be seen if any of the top-level guys lose their jobs over this.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 17:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in awe of this phone since the day of its launch and had been waiting all these days for it to arrive in India finally. It is really surprising that Samsung got it wrong a second time, after having spent so much money in ensuring the recall and also losing face as a premium phone maker. It is more strange that the S7 edge has a larger battery still and didn't suffer from any similar issue.

Overall this year has to be the year of explosions. Recent reports are suggesting that few Iphones also exploded. Have we reached the threshold battery capacity, over and above which the same are not tolerated by these devices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-degree-burns/
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
It underlines the importance of testing (launch) and troubleshooting (relaunch)
It makes me wonder what (if any) role the marketing department had in terms of forcing the time to market and whether that led to any engineering or testing compromises.

In the US, the pressure of releasing products around this time is high, to meet the 'back to school' dates (i.e. in the case of the Note 7), and the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and Christmas shopping period.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 18:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

After 5 comes 6 not 7

Why break a perfectly good naming convention and rush into the market with a product which isn't ready? Hope everybody gets their money back.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Samsung lost the race of 'getting it right' vs ' getting it fast'. I had read an article on linked in about this. It's now going to be a big task for them to rebuild the brand. There is anyways enough and more competition coming from the new age mobile phone producers and they have a big task ahead of them now.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:06   #7
BHPian

It's sad to see them get it wrong the second time.

Samsung has an uphill task ahead to rebuild the brand. With Nokia seeming to make a comeback, it's going to be extremely difficult for Samsung.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here is a report which nicely explains the issue at hand. This is what you happens when you try to push the limits with out backed up by adequate research and testing.
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-sam...g-overheating/
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Recent reports are suggesting that few Iphones also exploded. Have we reached the threshold battery capacity, over and above which the same are not tolerated by these devices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-degree-burns/
This is a different case. Cycle rider had a fall and that would have put strain on phone. Any smartphone battery is a fire risk when pierced.

Quite common for phones/ tablets to be ignited in this scenario.

Some info :

Quote:
Lithium batteries are designed to be lightweight, deliver high output, and be easy to charge. This means that the outside shell and the barrier(s) separating the electrodes are very thin and light, with most of the weight coming from the parts that can actually power your phone.

Because the partitions and case are thin, they're fairly easy to puncture or tear. If the structure of the battery itself is damaged in a way that makes the electrodes touch, a short circuit will happen. The instant electrical discharge is explosive, which can (and will) heat the electrolyte and create pressure to push it out through any ruptures in the battery case. It's hot, it's flammable and it's in contact with a spark. That's a recipe for disaster.
http://www.androidcentral.com/about-...erheated-plane

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-airlines.html
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 20:13   #10
BHPian

A slightly irrelevant comment,

A lot of people whine or lessen India because India does not have an Apple, or any other hi flying consumer product (physical products) company among the likes of a Dell, Apple, Sony, etc.

This is precisely one of the reasons. One recall can bankrupt your firm if you don't have the money to take care of an issue, and the Consumer Products Safety Commission in the USA will put you through hell if you make a misstep anywhere....

It's not about having a product and making it and selling it , you got to take care of existing products if something goes haywire. Look at the fines Volkswagen has to pay in the midst of their emissions scandal.

To have a global consumer product is no small task and the fact that a high tech nation like Korea is struggling says a bit .

Indian companies are probably more shrewd for doing B2B businesses (such as the pharma industry which supplies the west with ingredients) than making the end consumer B2C product where stakes are super high .

Last edited by D33-PAC : 11th October 2016 at 20:17.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 23:16   #11
BHPian

An article on Bloomberg stated that the fundamental reason behind of this could potentially be the race to get the Note 7 out to the market before the Apple iPhone 7. Earlier in the year when Samsung got wind of the fact that the iPhone 7 would not sport a new design, they might've sensed an opportunity to create a 'bang' in the market with the all new Note 7 that would help it compete better against Apple. This obviously meant that Samsung engineers would have to work overtime to get the product into the market prior to Apple.

In the race to the finish line, it appears that Samsung overlooked a few things in the product development process and ended up with a product that got good reviews but had a serious underlying flaw that was just waiting to 'explode' in their face.

Despite initially acknowledging the issue and working on a fix, Samsung seems to have completely missed addressing the root cause since the replacement phones have also turned into time bombs. This just goes onto show that there is indeed a fundamental design problem. For a company that makes millions of phones, an issue like this just goes on to show that they skipped some critical steps in quality checks and instead chose to race to get to the market faster.

Hopefully this will serve as reminder to all phone manufacturers to avoid getting into a rat race in being the first to market.
vikramk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 23:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The batteries used in the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was of TDK make (Japanese company) as reported by the BBC News. TDK as old timers know made audio and video cassettes. The audio cassettes were extremely popular and competed with the likes of SONY. The company had diversified into making batteries for mobile phones lately.

Too early to authoritatively comment if the i phone circuitry or the battery is at fault, or maybe even both have flaws.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 06:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Note 7 used Samsung batteries in first batch. These batteries were believed to be the source of the problem, so Samsung switched to ATL for batteries.

But Samsung has not been able to reproduce this issue in their testing. So, root cause is unknown as of now. 92 users have reported Note 7 issues so far.

It indicates a more complex problem. Probably, the reason Samsung killed the phone (it does not know the cause of fires).

Quote:
None were able to get a phone to explode. Samsung’s engineers, on a tight deadline, initially concluded the defect was caused by faulty batteries from one of the company’s suppliers. Samsung, which announced a recall of the Note 7 devices in September, decided to continue shipping new Galaxy Note 7s containing batteries from a different supplier.

The solution failed. Reports soon surfaced that some of the replacement devices were blowing up too. Company engineers went back to the drawing board, according to a person briefed on the test process who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the internal workings were confidential. As of this week, Samsung’s testers were still unable to reproduce the explosions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/bu...erminated.html

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2016 at 13:23. Reason: Typo
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:15   #14
BHPian

Default Re: R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Every phone goes through extensive checks before it is launched. This seems to be a big slip - up, right from the battery supplier, to the manufacturing, down to the QC and then to media management. I am sure a lot of people will be looking for jobs in coming days. Considering how much important note 7 was for Samsung, it is a big big loss (to the tune of ~$60Bn, company internal rumors say. BTW, I was working with Samsung India - mobile division, till this Year Feb, so I know firsthand).

However, to claim it is done to go one up against Apple, is not entirely correct. Every company reacts to their competitors, but US media plays too much in favor of the "American" apple.

Considering the kind of resources samsung has, this testing phase will pass through ($235Bn behemoth with $60Bn in cash). But this case, and nestle case in India too, lays bare the fact that even the biggest of the companies do not have a clear cut strategy on how to respond to and handle crisis situations, making the isuue much bigger than what it actually is.

Phew, it was a wonderful phone otherwise. Much better than any Iphone I would say.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Default Re: R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Phew, it was a wonderful phone otherwise. Much better than any Iphone I would say.
Couldn't resist posting this....It would have been better, had it been available. Fictitious products cannot be compared to working phones.

We have been service providers to Samsung India ( not the Mobile division. Our relation ended in 2010) and the only thing the Intl. Logistics person knew was to reduce service costs,so that he could tighten his collar and show in his annual performance report. If this attitude is there across their divisions, I can understand why the product failed.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote