Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th September 2017, 17:05   #61
BHPian

Default Re: WhatsApp and its effect on our lives

I would love to permanently delete WA from my phone. The problem is: it is to entrenched in all walks of life. Any message / communication which has to be sent, the recipient wants it on WA. Be it a shopkeeper sending you something, a vendor wanting an address, NEFT details, you name it. Far from everything, the biggest bane of WA is the group -- and that it cannot be permanently archived. Once a new message comes in, it comes to the top of the queue. It is the single most annoying factor in WA. People take offense if removed or if someone exits a group.

I was literally forced by my management (unofficially) to join the office WA group. It found it just pure SPAM, and being compelled to receive it. Later on I exited the group. Likewise, I exited a family group also: now the ADMIN actually has stopped talking to me. Weird.

People abuse, SPAM, fear monger, pass on forwards, and just do not control what they are sending. Many times I have seen pr0n images / gifs forwarded "sorry by mistake". Is that not sickening. How can people be so naive and dumb? Shocks me. WA has become: SMS+Mail+FB+Twitter; all in one. Most do not have a handle on what they are up to.

WA = nuisance -- overall.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 27th September 2017 at 17:09.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 17:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post

I was literally forced by my management (unofficially) to join the office WA group. It found it just pure SPAM, and being compelled to receive it. Later on I exited the group. Likewise, I exited a family group also: now the ADMIN actually has stopped talking to me. Weird.

People abuse, SPAM, fear monger, pass on forwards, and just do not control what they are sending. Many times I have seen pr0n images / gifs forwarded "sorry by mistake". Is that not sickening. How can people be so naive and dumb? Shocks me. WA has become: SMS+Mail+FB+Twitter; all in one. Most do not have a handle on what they are up to.

WA = nuisance -- overall.
Stop auto download of media. Big relief it is. Mute the group for a year. Like you said people are quick to take offence and you can't have such petty things affect your work situation.

As for dumbness and naivety you know what someone said:
""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.""
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 18:14   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Stop auto download of media. Big relief it is. Mute the group for a year. Like you said people are quick to take offence and you can't have such petty things affect your work situation.

As for dumbness and naivety you know what someone said:
""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.""
Even on MUTE + Archive, the group comes to the top, but it is a workaround, yea. At least on my phone, Lumia. Being forced to join a group, or being added to one without telling is not good.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 18:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Being forced to join a group, or being added to one without telling is not good.
Yes that was one of the common issues with Whatsapp but yet that was what made it popular and widespread.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 18:45   #65

I get lot of fake & doctored posts on WA. When I take some trouble to verify & post the authentic news, some group members take offence because it does not subscribe to their point of view. Be it politics, economy or religion related.

Sometime I wonder if these click bait news articles are doing a disservice to us by dumbing us down since most people would not take the time to authenticate them.

Sometimes technology at our finger tips is a double edged sword.
Ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 20:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Did you happen to watch Simon Sinek's video about Millenials?

Some of the points he mentions are pretty genuine.
@deathwalker, thank you for pointing me to this. Most sensible talk on social media I've listened to. Have sent to many young folks in the extended family.

Personally I am not on WA or FB - never have been.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote