Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 00:57   #16
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 159
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
That might be a very good idea. I especially find Cayenne a bit slow and laggy although I might be doing something wrong. This might be the perfect solution to that problem.



Thanks
.

Read up on the MQTT protocol. It is a lightweight messaging protocol meant for IOT kind of devices. This is what i have used for control message transmission and retrieval between RPi/Beaglebone and the microcontrollers.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 03:16   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,878
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

While I am not much of a DIY person, I've always been intrigued by what the Raspberry Pi can do. I've read of folks building digital audio and video players and our FM reignofchaos building a timed water trigger release for this garden. A device that can replace your very expensive computer to take care of illegal pirate bay downloads and play them on your HDTV. Seems to be a DIY'ers dream device.

Whats the security like on one of these things? Being an open platform, I doubt if its any good.

Should be fun to build a cheap touch screen car stereo with one of these things. All you need is an external amplifier and you're set.

Thanks for sharing Vishy.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 08:02   #18
BHPian
 
yogeshnagpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 188
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Is this Raspberry Pi3? Can you point to the source where one can buy it in India? I see Raspberry Pi3 listed on Amazon for around 2-3k and another 300-500 for the casing.

Is this the correct setup to start with?


Cheers,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 09:08   #19
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 294
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

I have built a full fledged media center by using the Raspberry Pi 3. The hardware runs on Kodi which is one of the favorite applications among the DIY enthusiasts.

Basically, this particular application has some default application to run the media (Music / Video) + One can install free source / paid applications (just like App store) on the top of it.

In short, this device eliminates the need of investing a huge sum in Smart TVs | Turns a regular TV set into a smart one.

Inputs : 4 USB slots | LAN cable (+ WiFi functionality) | Micro SD Card Slot
Outputs : 1 HDMI slot | Combined 3.5 mm audio jack and composite video
Power Input : 5V 2.5A power supply

Total setup costed me approximately INR 4500.

In case anyone is interested in building this device, feel free to ask.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 9th June 2017 at 09:14.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:48   #20
BHPian
 
vishy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 299
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Whats the security like on one of these things? Being an open platform, I doubt if its any good.

Should be fun to build a cheap touch screen car stereo with one of these things. All you need is an external amplifier and you're set.

Thanks for sharing Vishy.
You are most welcome.

Security is something that you don't buy a pi or any micro-computer for. However, the Pi can hack into other networks very very easily as compared to fancy computers!

There is already a project on instructables for the I.C.E. Here's an image of it:
Name:  FRPOF7YI1NVE2NI.MEDIUM.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  21.6 KB

Link for those who are interested: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ras...-Car-Computer/

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Is this Raspberry Pi3? Can you point to the source where one can buy it in India? I see Raspberry Pi3 listed on Amazon for around 2-3k and another 300-500 for the casing.

Is this the correct setup to start with?


Cheers,
Yogesh.
It basically depends on where you want to start off. If you want to use the Pi as a full fledged computer or you want good processing speed, I would strongly suggest the Raspberry Pi 3. I had to spend 1,800 on my A+ and a further 1,250 on a good wifi adapter, apart from many other accessories. Go for the Pi 3 if you have the budget. You won't regret it. The Pi 3 comes with wifi and bluetooth built in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
I have built a full fledged media center by using the Raspberry Pi 3. The hardware runs on Kodi which is one of the favorite applications among the DIY enthusiasts.

Basically, this particular application has some default application to run the media (Music / Video) + One can install free source / paid applications (just like App store) on the top of it.

In short, this device eliminates the need of investing a huge sum in Smart TVs | Turns a regular TV set into a smart one.

Inputs : 4 USB slots | LAN cable (+ WiFi functionality) | Micro SD Card Slot
Outputs : 1 HDMI slot | Combined 3.5 mm audio jack and composite video
Power Input : 5V 2.5A power supply

Total setup costed me approximately INR 4500.

In case anyone is interested in building this device, feel free to ask.
I do the same thing with my Pi when I am not doing any projects. I must say even my A+ copes well with all those graphics somehow in Kodi. A nice set of James Bond movies on a saturday evening from the Pi is pure bliss!

Last edited by vishy76 : 9th June 2017 at 10:52.
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:48   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Question Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The Raspberry Pi has been priced from $5 to $25 in the U.K
Hi Vishy76,

I am new to this forum and this is my first instance of posting, so please forgive any mistakes.
Thanks for your detailed post. This is the first time I have heard of the Raspberry Pi, and I think it can be a solution to a problem that I have been facing for a long time now. I go on rides using my action camera, and I have to carry a laptop to format the cards on it every couple of days. Is there a way to use the Raspberry Pi for this. I mean using a USB hub to connect a card reader and an External HDD powered via a power bank?
PG03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:35   #22
BHPian
 
petrolhead_neel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Burdwan
Posts: 604
Thanked: 938 Times
Default

Hear thread Vishy! I have been aPi enthusiast for quite some time now as well and have done some projects. I will write a detailed post when I get access to a computer. Using a spare phone right now which is a pain to type on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
This is the first time I have heard of the Raspberry Pi, and I think it can be a solution to a problem that I have been facing for a long time now. I go on rides using my action camera, and I have to carry a laptop to format the cards on it every couple of days. Is there a way to use the Raspberry Pi for this. I mean using a USB hub to connect a card reader and an External HDD powered via a power bank?
Not really. You're better off with your laptop. I think it would be better for you to invest in more cards than the Pi. To carry out an operation like this, you still need a keyboard(if not a mouse) and some sort of a display. Your best option would be to go for the touch screen add on, but then again, don't know how convenient that is. Add to that, the Pi needs a lot of power and still slows down if you connect something like an external HDD if you don't use a USB hub powered separately. A standalone Pi works fine with a power bank, as long as you provide enough juice.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 9th June 2017 at 11:37.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:44   #23
BHPian
 
vishy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 299
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
Hi Vishy76,

I am new to this forum and this is my first instance of posting, so please forgive any mistakes.
Thanks for your detailed post. This is the first time I have heard of the Raspberry Pi, and I think it can be a solution to a problem that I have been facing for a long time now. I go on rides using my action camera, and I have to carry a laptop to format the cards on it every couple of days. Is there a way to use the Raspberry Pi for this. I mean using a USB hub to connect a card reader and an External HDD powered via a power bank?
Hi,
Thanks for the appreciation.

I didn't exactly get what you are saying though. You want to use the Raspberry Pi as an SD card formatter? I would suggest you use a USB card reader and plug it into the USB port of your Pi. You can then format the SD card from the pi. I will give you an idea here:

Use an SD card reader and plug it into the Pi's USB port:
Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-51ofnqfpmjl._sl1000_.jpg

Link:http://www.amazon.in/Transcend-High-...ard+reader+usb


Use a power bank to power the Pi like this:
Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-71nrgf4ec6l._sl1500_.jpg

Link:http://www.amazon.in/Tukzer-TZ-EP-20...ower+bank+3000


Finally, you will need a screen to see what you are doing and a mini keyboard such as the one listed in the review:
Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-61jl7oacol._sl1024_.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.in/Waveshare-Raspb...+pi+lcd+screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

Not really. You're better off with your laptop. I think it would be better for you to invest in more cards than the Pi. To carry out an operation like this, you still need a keyboard(if not a mouse) and some sort of a display. Your best option would be to go for the touch screen add on, but then again, don't know how convenient that is. Add to that, the Pi needs a lot of power and still slows down if you connect something like an external HDD if you don't use a USB hub powered separately. A standalone Pi works fine with a power bank, as long as you provide enough juice.

Neel
Well said. @PG03 only use the Pi if you are hell bent on doing so and want that convenience. However, as I have listed down, it will require you to buy many accessories which could cost you big ones. Keep this in mind.

Neel, why not build him a Camera using a Pi zero, such as a pocket cam?

Last edited by vishy76 : 9th June 2017 at 11:58.
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:17   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the appreciation.

I didn't exactly get what you are saying though. You want to use the Raspberry Pi as an SD card formatter?
What I am looking for is a way to copy the data from my SD card to the Hard drive and then format the SD card. I keep the files on a HDD instead of just relying on multiple cards, which are easy to lose (Personal experience from a recent ride).

About the laptop, call me lazy but I don't want to carry a bulky laptop while riding. Also, It is an expensive piece of tech and you have to be ultra cautious because of it.
PG03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:24   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
I have built a full fledged media center by using the Raspberry Pi 3. The hardware runs on Kodi which is one of the favorite applications among the DIY enthusiasts.
...
I have been thinking of building an HTPC similarly. It will be very good if you can share the details here.

What I want to do:
  • Have 2-3 external hard disks containing videos and music (will the Pi be able to power those through its USB ports, using USB multipliers?)
  • Get the music output to my amplifier - what is the best way to get this done from the Pi system
  • Initially have a small LCD screen attached to the Pi system for navigation and control and connect it to an LCD/LED TV when I get one.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:49   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 506 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
What I want to do:
  • Have 2-3 external hard disks containing videos and music (will the Pi be able to power those through its USB ports, using USB multipliers?)
  • Get the music output to my amplifier - what is the best way to get this done from the Pi system
  • Initially have a small LCD screen attached to the Pi system for navigation and control and connect it to an LCD/LED TV when I get one.
  • No. You need to use a powered USB hub for this. The Pi cannot provide enough juice to power up three HDDs. Although the current models are featuring multiple USB ports these are all share a single USB channel. Connect all your drives to the said hub and use the mdadm linux utility to make and mount a RAID.
  • This can be done via the HDMI port. However, this will create a clash with your next requirement - the LCD screen. You cannot use the HDMI port with the screen on.
  • As explained above, this might not be feasible. You should settle for Teamviewer or any TTY app installed in both the Pi and a smartphone and use that to access the Pi.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 13:01   #27
BHPian
 
vishy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 299
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
What I am looking for is a way to copy the data from my SD card to the Hard drive and then format the SD card. I keep the files on a HDD instead of just relying on multiple cards, which are easy to lose (Personal experience from a recent ride).

About the laptop, call me lazy but I don't want to carry a bulky laptop while riding. Also, It is an expensive piece of tech and you have to be ultra cautious because of it.
I don't know if the Pi will be able to power up a USB hdd. Try to use a powered USB hub. The total cost of the setup that I have described will be less than Rs.8,000.

Do tell me in case you need any help with this project.
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 13:25   #28
Newbie
 
Varun_HexaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: My Take on the Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This post highlights my take on the Raspberry Pi, some starter instructions and operating systems available. I have a Raspberry Pi model A+.

Oh my my!!!
That's some cool stuff dude. Though I hardly have any technical knowledge on the internals of any computer but I would definitely love to develop my knowledge on these kind of stuff with your help. Hope that you'll help me gain the right knowledge.
Will you?

See you around Vishy,
Varun

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2017 at 14:48. Reason: Shortening quote...
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 13:46   #29
BHPian
 
vishy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 299
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: My Take on the Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Oh my my!!!
That's some cool stuff dude. Though I hardly have any technical knowledge on the internals of any computer but I would definitely love to develop my knowledge on these kind of stuff with your help. Hope that you'll help me gain the right knowledge.
Will you?

See you around Vishy,
Varun
Yes sure! This thread is meant for that very purpose.

You can ping me anytime on this thread in case you want to know more about the Pi and where to get it from.

Post on this thread in case you need any help on procuring the Raspberry Pi! There are also many experts available as you might have seen.

Regards,
vishy
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 14:18   #30
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 645
Thanked: 1,306 Times
Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
I think it can be a solution to a problem that I have been facing for a long time now. I go on rides using my action camera, and I have to carry a laptop to format the cards on it every couple of days. Is there a way to use the Raspberry Pi for this. I mean using a USB hub to connect a card reader and an External HDD powered via a power bank?
I too faced similar problems, and there is well sorted solution to it.
Ravpower Filehub plus. Works well to transfer files from my Iphone 16gb, Gopro and DSLR memory cards with a powerbank 1A 6000mah in-built. Yet to test it with my Andriod and Hackintosh platforms. Hated to
carry the laptops around on roadtrips.


Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-screen-shot-20170609-2.11.23-pm.png

Ravpower Filehub Plus link - amazon listing

Last edited by johannskaria : 9th June 2017 at 14:22.
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Computer & Configuration Thread GTO Gadgets, Computers & Software 3071 3rd August 2017 12:59
Maruti Asking for Computer engineers DCEite Gadgets, Computers & Software 5 27th August 2005 20:37
Rally Computer rsancheti Gadgets, Computers & Software 22 28th June 2005 19:17
switch off ur mobiles and computer today at 2225 speedsatya Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 4th November 2004 15:11
Computer help pls! S350L-E240 Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 19th September 2004 09:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks