Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 12th June 2017, 20:18   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

After going through this thread finally convinced to buy Pi 3B. This was long time dream that I should play with IoT and learn these things since even before the Pi Era.

What was preventing me from buying the Pi was time shortage. I didn't want to take my time away from my kid. Then thought of buying it and at least I should have it with me and try whenever I get a time. Though my kid is 6 years old, he is really small for these things, but I started building things with him. We will try to make some Lego Technic Automation so my kid will remain interested in this.

But we took first step, we started with Blinking Led with Windows IoT. And looking at my enthusiasm and happiness with blinking LED, it is comparable to my Kids enthusiasm. For him things are simple, he does not know all these things, he knows the problem that LED should blink somehow. And it blinked, which brought a smile on our faces.

Now next step is, drive motor, lego motor, have some dhinchak lights on Lego car. Make computer/Android controlled Lego car.

In the background I have some serious prototypes to build which involves lot of buttons, wifi, some actuators and video and sound transmission over wifi between all kinds of devices. And of course another project is Car PC.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 23:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Some good news and some bad news.

OSMC makes a compelling case for itself here. Instead of going for a new Smart TV and spending big bucks, it's better to use OSMC and the raspberry Pi for a premium of around Rs. 3K to 4k.
Vishy, use the app Yatse. It has been developed for the very same purpose but has a better UI and more features. Simply love it.

Here's a screenshot:
Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-15109513_1750977485227272_3927557458551110631_n.jpg

Sally was the name of my the-then OSMC setup.

https://yatse.tv/redmine/projects/yatse

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th June 2017 at 23:10.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 22:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Vishy, use the app Yatse. It has been developed for the very same purpose but has a better UI and more features. Simply love it.

Neel
Thanks a lot for the advice. I used the aforementioned app as it was the official Kodi one. However, since Yatse does have a better UI, will take your word for it and definitely give it a shot. Is the UI customisable?

Quote:
Sally was the name of my the-then OSMC setup.
Hmm. I am still looking for an attractive female name. Maybe I can make her my personal assistant cum Friend
vishy76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 17:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post

Total setup costed me approximately INR 4500.

In case anyone is interested in building this device, feel free to ask.

I am interested in setting up such a media player for my TV.

Requirements:

- Stream content from any other (ios/android) device via wifi and use it as a remote display.

Would like to see my mobile games on TV. lol

Let me know what you think.
aneeshanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 17:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
After going through this thread finally convinced to buy Pi 3B. This was long time dream that I should play with IoT and learn these things since even before the Pi Era.

What was preventing me from buying the Pi was time shortage. I didn't want to take my time away from my kid. Then thought of buying it and at least I should have it with me and try whenever I get a time. Though my kid is 6 years old, he is really small for these things, but I started building things with him. We will try to make some Lego Technic Automation so my kid will remain interested in this.

But we took first step, we started with Blinking Led with Windows IoT. And looking at my enthusiasm and happiness with blinking LED, it is comparable to my Kids enthusiasm. For him things are simple, he does not know all these things, he knows the problem that LED should blink somehow. And it blinked, which brought a smile on our faces.

Now next step is, drive motor, lego motor, have some dhinchak lights on Lego car. Make computer/Android controlled Lego car.

In the background I have some serious prototypes to build which involves lot of buttons, wifi, some actuators and video and sound transmission over wifi between all kinds of devices. And of course another project is Car PC.
I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago
As we speak, I have a total of 5 RPIs doing varied duties across the house

Here is a sample of the kind of stuff I have been able to achieve using them
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 17:39   #51
BHPian

Very interesting thread! I am a Computer Science Engineer by education, but ruined by profession . This thread has revived my interest back in computers.

I have an idea to be implemented and would like to know if Raspberry Pi would be a good idea.

What I would like to do - For my son's birthday party, for the invitation card I would like to make a small device that plays a video. That device will have a small screen (3 inch to 5 inch) with few buttons (power/play/pause/volume + or -). On switching on a video will play that'll basically have some content to invite the folks for the party.

How I would like to do - Right now I am blank (or pretty much blank). I am thinking I could use Raspberry Pi with a LCD screen. I have seen few screens on Amazon that work with RaspberryPi. They are touchscreens, which is a bit of an overkill for me.

I don't have a budget for each 'card', but surely I would like to make one as cheap as possible.

Please let me know if using Raspberry Pi is too much and if there is something else I should be looking at.

Edit: Found "video cards" on Aliexpress that pretty much does exactly this. But want to do this DIY for the sense of satisfaction.
shifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
What I would like to do - For my son's birthday party, for the invitation card I would like to make a small device that plays a video. That device will have a small screen (3 inch to 5 inch) with few buttons (power/play/pause/volume + or -). On switching on a video will play that'll basically have some content to invite the folks for the party
For this requirement, Raspi may not be necessary unless you want to force learning; for your requirement you can buy a Miracast kind of device from Amazon & connect TV to Mobile device using WiFi. Play the video in mobile & watch the whole thing on TV.

On re-reading your requirement, I get another feeling that you're going to distribute the invitation in form of Raspi, LCD screen in form of video, kind of gadget invitation, if that is the case...
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
On re-reading your requirement, I get another feeling that you're going to distribute the invitation in form of Raspi, LCD screen in form of video, kind of gadget invitation, if that is the case...
Yup, the intention is to give the kids a small gadget/device that plays a video.
shifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Yup, the intention is to give the kids a small gadget/device that plays a video.
Refer to the review on page 1 and there is a 3.5inch TinyLCD screen for this purpose. It is not a touchscreen and costs somewhere around Rs. 1,800. Should be good for your needs.
Old 18th June 2017, 21:47   #55
BHPian

To Vishy and every other geek following this thread, need suggestions for annual school project. Last year, we did an FM radio transmitter with my Pi 2, and powered it with a power bank and broadcasted our very own FM radio channel over an antenna connected to the GPIO pin. However, it was nothing flashy and only some people would really be patient enough to know the details. It was the same scenario for the judges, so we missed podium finish and came 4th. This year is our last year at this school, and the goal is to get a good position. It will be a team of 5 and I will handle the technical side as usual. Please suggest Pi projects that don't cost too much to make and can be demonstrated over 3-5 mins, something which has to be eye catching. Don't mind things to be a bit on the tougher side, as I am quite experienced with the Pi now and willing to take up the challenge. TIA.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 08:08   #56
BHPian

Quote:
To Vishy and every other geek following this thread... .Please suggest Pi projects that don't cost too much to make and can be demonstrated over 3-5 mins, something which has to be eye catching.
Even I was in such a dimlema during a paper presentation competiton. The best project I did was ANPR - automatic number plate recognition.

Initially I hooked the Pi to the projector and then explained the project and its coding and the way numbers / text are recognised. Then , I asked 2-3 people in audiences to bring the number plates - non fancy ones + I requested some numbers from audience and printed them on A4 sheets.

Ran the program and surprised them when revealed that it was in fact the Pi doing the presentation. Asked some students to hold up the plates/ A4 sheets infont of the camera and the number was displayed on the screen.

This was more like a proof of concept, but I had another idea. Using 2 pi(s) one installed at the start of motorway and one at the end, you could make a program that calculates speed of the vehicle and flags if the avg speed is above the speed limit.

I didn't get the top Prize, but I got an appreciation certificate for it. Instead of a proper project I did a proof of concept as I literally did this overnight and it showed.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 16:01   #57
BHPian

Quote:
To Vishy and every other geek following this thread, need suggestions for annual school project. Last year, we did an FM radio transmitter with my Pi 2, and powered it with a power bank and ..

Neel
In addition to what Blackwasp sir has already said, I suggest you also take a look at the home automation circuit system. The total cost is:

4 or 8 channel relay- Anywhere between Rs. 400-600

Jumper cables: Rs. 100

The difficult part is the programming but I know you will be able to pull this off.

Look up on the internet. You can control this through an android app of your own or a Web page through your school's wifi network. Do take permission from the school before tapping into the electric circuits in your class. Also employ an experienced electronics sir or computer teacher if you want to undertake this. This was done in our school by another group and trust me people were stumped!

Do ping me for help,
Regards,
Vishy
Old 20th June 2017, 17:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Here is a sample of the kind of stuff I have been able to achieve using them
Very cool.

If I'm not mistaken, you do not have to pause after saying Alexa. Just continue to talk like it was a natural sentence beginning with the word Alexa...
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 19:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To Vishy and every other geek following this thread...quite experienced with the Pi now and willing to take up the challenge. TIA
Develop a voice interactive librarian; the system has to take input as voice from user & guide them to specific rack where the book is located; suggest alternative books/authors when asked; should say if the book is loaned out & ETA on the arrival of the book; should say if there's a queue for the requested book and/or accept additional booking for the book; should be able to show a preview for the book on screen as well. Try to integrate Alexa & Pi together to get this going.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 02:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Very cool.

If I'm not mistaken, you do not have to pause after saying Alexa. Just continue to talk like it was a natural sentence beginning with the word Alexa...
Yeah, this was soon after I set it up
I later realized that a local cache of the sentence is retained by the echo anyway

On a side note, I just added a google home to the mix of Echos at home but I don;t quite find the voice recognition reliability on that at par with the Echo (AT least with my Desi English accent)
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote