Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th August 2017, 01:07   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Review: Raspberry Pi, the $5 computer

Recently made a tankbot using the Pi. Unfortunately, my model A+ died just a week back, so had to get the 3 model B this time. I must say, the speeds are outstanding and response times are excellent. The bot is controlled through an IOT cayenne app. A wireless camera has also been mounted. The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn. The motors are hooked upto relays. A bit of help would be appreciated here.

Here's a pic. Named it obilux, inspired by a Fortuner on our forum:
Review: Raspberry Pi, the  computer-20479794_1719660198328512_6611803059744784166_n.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 4th August 2017 at 01:09.
vishy76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 16:18   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Recently made a tankbot using the Pi. Unfortunately, my model A+ died just a week back, so had to get the 3 model B this time. I must say, the speeds are outstanding and response times are excellent. The bot is controlled through an IOT cayenne app. A wireless camera has also been mounted. The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn. The motors are hooked upto relays. A bit of help would be appreciated here.

Here's a pic. Named it obilux, inspired by a Fortuner on our forum:
Attachment 1663572
Can you share more details of the build ? Am looking at doing something similar with RPi.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Can you share more details of the build ? Am looking at doing something similar with RPi.
I used an app called cayenne to control the relays on the pi and have wired up the motors to them. The camera I used is a wireless cam, which transmits radio signals and is pretty old school with a reciever.

You can PM me for more details.
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:20   #64
BHPian

Quote:
The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn. The motors are hooked upto relays.
I'm assuming you have wired the motors independently; or at least kept the left and right controls separate. When I had made a similar bot, I wired the left and right sides separately.

To turn right, only the LHS wheels must be moving forward and vice versa for the left turning. For on the spot turns (like the auto rickshaws), move LHS side forward and the RHS side in reverse.

I hope this helps. Similar systems are used in tracked vehicles (like tanks) to turn.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm assuming you have wired the motors independently; or at least kept the left and right controls separate. When I had made a similar bot, I wired the left and right sides separately.

To turn right, only the LHS wheels must be moving forward and vice versa for the left turning. For on the spot turns (like the auto rickshaws), move LHS side forward and the RHS side in reverse.

I hope this helps. Similar systems are used in tracked vehicles (like tanks) to turn.
Thanks a lot. I did get the bot to back up and go forwards according to my whims.

However, when I tried to turn it, I provided full power on the right side forwards and full power to the left as well, albiet in reverse which should have enabled it to turn. (Do correct me if I am wrong here)

But, it didn't. The weight of the bot is just too much. I will need to source more powerful motors. I am currently running 300rpms at the front and 1000rpms at the rear. Willl see if I can get 2000 rpms front and back.
Old 23rd August 2017, 18:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
However, when I tried to turn it, I provided full power on the right side forwards and full power to the left as well, albiet in reverse which should have enabled it to turn. (Do correct me if I am wrong here)
The reason it didn't turn is due to four wheels. Just powering left or right side might help but the turn will be executed in a very crude and unpredictable manner. Reminds me of college days! We would either have three wheels, third one omni-directional or make tank like tracks to join the two wheels on each side. Three wheel option always gave much finer control though.
ksameer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 09:52   #67
BHPian

Hello Raspberry Pi enthusiasts,
Just conducted a workshop on RPi in my college. Since most of the students were from 1st and 2nd years of engineering, didn't do much of hardware interfacing.

Topic covered:
1. About Raspberry Pi
2. Setting it up
3. Networking / Wifi (Pi 3 only)
4. Scratch basics
5. Python basics
6. Turtle Art - Making (or is it drawing) a snowflake
7. Potential of the Pi - showcased a remote camera app, demo-ed a number plate recognition software, Media centre, etc

Thanks to the response, many students have requested an advanced level workshop sometime in the near future. I'd like all of you to suggest some ideas/projects that could be fun yet easy to implement.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 18:46   #68
BHPian

I have been trying to setup WiFi connection with RPi Model B.
Tried all these dongles without any sucess.

1. EDUP Mini Wireless N 11n Wi-Fi Nano USB Adapter
2. EDUP Mini Wireless Wi-Fi Nano USB Adapter Dongle WiFi Dongle EP-N8553 (New)
3. Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter with EZmax Setup Wizard

Tried tweaking the network related files but of no avail.

I had connected power supply using my mobile charger (2A rating) and connect my old PC CRT monitor, keyboard, mouse and WiFi dongle. I suspect I should use USB adaptor as the power is not enough with all the accessories connected.

What do I need to do :

1. Do I need USB adaptor?
2. Use another WiFi dongle?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 19:08   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the real world look at something called skid steered vehicles. (Popularly called Bobcats, just like backhoes are called JCBs). Then you'll know what you have to do.

Don't burn out your motors!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote