Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th November 2011, 12:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

I had ordered DRLs from dealextreme few weeks back, and today I got a letter from customs which is shown below.

Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad-cust20111125_121127_060.jpg

I have invoice, price details, payment records (credit card statement) But I am not able to figure out what is L.E.C number. Can someone point me in the right direction?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:07   #137
BHPian

Default re: Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have invoice, price details, payment records (credit card statement) But I am not able to figure out what is L.E.C number. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I guess it is I.E.C number not LEC. IEC is nothing but Importer Exporter Code issued by DGFT(Director General of Foreign Trade).

Not sure but in your case PAN might work as you are not doing as business.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:31   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003

I guess it is I.E.C number not LEC. IEC is nothing but Importer Exporter Code issued by DGFT(Director General of Foreign Trade).

Not sure but in your case PAN might work as you are not doing as business.
Thanks, yes I figured that it is import code. Will my pan work instead?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 17:53   #139
Senior - BHPian

You dont need that code. I got similar letters for DX shipments, all I had to provide was Invoice + Photo ID. This was at FPO Mumbai.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 17:26   #140
BHPian

Default Any idea what happens next?

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I ordered a package from China. As of today, it has reached and left Kolkata. You can see the tracking info below.

Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad-tracking.jpg

My questions are:

1-How long do you reckon before this package reaches me in Bangalore?

2-Since its left for Bangalore, can I assume that the customs formalities are over? Or does it mean that the Customs formalities will be at Bangalore?

3-Its an HID module. Should I expect hassles or will it be a worry free experience?

I tried calling the Foreign Post Office at Kolkata but they could not assist. Neither did the Bangalore International Post. I must add that both of these offices were extremely polite and courteous. The only thing I usually expect when calling a Govt Office is somebody who has no time for me, is curt and hangs up without letting you complete. But this was a welcome change!

I know I can just wait and see. But its so difficult being patient

Any help is appreciated.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 23:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Anybody bought from Ebay.com (not ebay.in) off late.

There are few stuff that I am interested in buying and I am seeing that off late there are lots of offers who are ready to ship worldwide. Especially electronic gadgets.

Can someone who bought recently help me out on what all I have to go thro.
Have the following questions:
1. Is there a rate of custom duty that I can use to calculate the customs duty that I will be paying?
2. Will it involve me going to the airport for releasing the goods?
3. Will customs people for any reason not allow any good at all. I am only talking of electronic goods?
4. Finally, has anyone worked with paypal system for ebay.com. I mean there are few products which says not returnable, does that mean the paypal system of recovery will not apply?

Any small information would also help ... Please
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 14:08   #142
BHPian

Its been one month since I bought a toy vehicle from ebay UK. Its has not reached me yet and since it is not tracked, the retailer cannot help either. Its probably stuck in customs. Retailer mentioned that all paperwork was in order before dispatch.

Delivery address is Noida. How do I pursue with customs and which customs office? Any help will be appreciated.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 22:49   #143
BHPian

I bought an car security system at www.aliexpress.com for USD 21.90 with free shipping, and it took almost 45 days to arrive at my place. but the problem is, i got an assessment memo from post office, to pay Rs. 2520, as duty 41.4% for assessed value of Rs.6000 by local customs.

i feel bad, to pay twice the price of product as duty, that too i can get an indian security system at the price of around Rs.3000, with warranty.

I am going to return the parcel to foreign post, chennai, as per the details given in the india post website, it is noted that goods valued under Rs.2000 is free of duty, my product is just Rs. 1300. so i am drafting an letter to Dy Commissioner, Postal Appraising Dept, Chennai 600001 as it is given in postal website

http://www.tamilnadupost.nic.in/msvc/customs.htm

with supporting documents like Copies of Car Rc , driving licence, (to claim personal use), credit card statement, website screen shot for real price, purchase order from my account, payment details etc..

hope i get zero duty as per law, but it depends on the person who receives my mail.

need suggestion from fellow bhpians in this regard.

rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 22:03   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, does anyone have any experience with "Parcel Force" shipping when making purchases from UK? I guess parcel force packages are handled by India Post once it reaches India. Hows the delivery and customs clearance especially for high value packages?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 22:35   #145
BHPian

Unless there is tracking, do not trust anything that will be taken over by Inda Post once the package reach Indian soil. Have a look at my post above, there is no way of knowing / finding out whether that shipment was lost in customs or postal department. The UK seller has since refused to ship to India.

For high value items pay a little extra and let someone handle logistics. This will ensure you get your item, not lost in transit. I can suggest two companies: Borderlinx, and Aramex Shop n Ship. In both cases you get a PO box address in UK, to which you ship your purchased item(s). They will then forward and deliver to your India address, after clearing customs on your behalf.

Borderlinx is more expensive of the two; you pay shipping charge, taxes and customs duty upfront. They ship through DHL, IIRC.

Aramex SnS ships through Aramex (who else :-)), you pay all charges COD.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 11:23   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I was in touch every day with the Foreign Post Office. I used to call them every day , very politely for an update.

Finally, they advised me that the parcel had been detained by customs and asked me to wait for a memo from them. I was given a reference to identify the detained item.
Hey there, I need some help. I ordered a watch from Japan and right now it is with the customs in Chennai since this Monday. I spoke to the foreign post office and they said the same thing that you mentioned. Gave a reference number and asked me to wait for the memo. Now, the post office at my location is so notorious that I am not sure how many days they will take to deliver it.

The questions I have and that you might be able to help me with are:

1. Should I wait for the memo or just go to the customs as you did? The problem is I will be making this Chennai trip just for this and don't want to be sent back for the memo or to be begging them to issue a new memo.

2. In my case, the watch is close to 20K INR and I am willing to pay the applicable charges, duty etc. My guess is that they will try to tempt me by asking me to pay bribe to avoid the duty. But I was anyway prepared for the duty part, so I don't mind paying it. Now, as a procedure, am I supposed to pay the duty right there or can I just ask them to release it and later pay it when it's delivered? If it's the former, I can just go with empty pocket as you did and get some excuse

Thanks in advance!
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 12:15   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Hey there, I need some help. I ordered a watch from Japan and right now it is with the customs in Chennai since this Monday. I spoke to the foreign post office and they said the same thing that you mentioned. Gave a reference number and asked me to wait for the memo. Now, the post office at my location is so notorious that I am not sure how many days they will take to deliver it.

The questions I have and that you might be able to help me with are:

1. Should I wait for the memo or just go to the customs as you did? The problem is I will be making this Chennai trip just for this and don't want to be sent back for the memo or to be begging them to issue a new memo.

2. In my case, the watch is close to 20K INR and I am willing to pay the applicable charges, duty etc. My guess is that they will try to tempt me by asking me to pay bribe to avoid the duty. But I was anyway prepared for the duty part, so I don't mind paying it. Now, as a procedure, am I supposed to pay the duty right there or can I just ask them to release it and later pay it when it's delivered? If it's the former, I can just go with empty pocket as you did and get some excuse

Thanks in advance!
Hi, since you are not in chennai, I would advise you to wait for the memo. But
money works in the customs office, so you could make the trip if you want to, not a problem.
You have a cap which is duty free and anything over the cap attracts duty if its for your personal use.
I am not sure if the cap is 15K or 20K. Neverthless, they will want to see your ID/Address, exactly as it appears on the parcel , the card using which you paid and the receipt for the same. You will have to tell them that its for your personal use.
So if the CAP is 15K and your watch is worth 20K, you pay the duty for only 5K .
just be polite and explain the same to them with a smile. They will take xerox of your IDs, receipt etc , ask you to fill a short form and give you the item immediately. A peon will follow you and you will have to pay him 500rs !
Like any other office they will quote non-existent rules about import duty etc, just smile and ask them to help you and they will oblige you. Dont pay more than 500Rs bribe, your watch is duty free if its for personal use and under the cap !

Cheers
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 12:28   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I am not sure if the cap is 15K or 20K. Neverthless, they will want to see your ID/Address, exactly as it appears on the parcel , the card using which you paid and the receipt for the same. You will have to tell them that its for your personal use.
So if the CAP is 15K and your watch is worth 20K, you pay the duty for only 5K .
just be polite and explain the same to them with a smile. They will take xerox of your IDs, receipt etc , ask you to fill a short form and give you the item immediately. A peon will follow you and you will have to pay him 500rs!
Where's the 'Thanks' button when you need one!

Thanks a lot for the helpful information. I don't know why I thought there was no exemption limit for import by post. I will try to find out the limit before going there so people don't take me for a ride. From your post you mentioned you didn't have to pay any duty. If I have to pay any duty, then will I be able to pay that then and there and collect my watch? Any idea?
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 12:52   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Where's the 'Thanks' button when you need one!

Thanks a lot for the helpful information. I don't know why I thought there was no exemption limit for import by post. I will try to find out the limit before going there so people don't take me for a ride. From your post you mentioned you didn't have to pay any duty. If I have to pay any duty, then will I be able to pay that then and there and collect my watch? Any idea?
Yes, this customs office is just over a post office, sorting. Opp the cargo terminals of chennai airport. They sort the items and store them either in the same floor or in the groundfloor. They will give you the item, as soon as you finish 'their' formalities, lol

If you feel the duty is unfair, you can also appeal to the officer who sits in the next room. Its actually this next door room, the clerk takes you to, he/she signs the form, asking for your item to be released.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 09:18   #150
BHPian

Guys, I've been ordering a lot of stuff frome eBay internationally. If it's one thing I've learnt, try as far as possible, not to order the stuff you need from US. When I first started using eBay in 2009 I ordered stuff from US which never came and didn't know there was a 45-day deadline after which I couldn't even ask for a refund.
I had given up on ordering stuff from outside India but then I gave it another shot and this time ordered a exhaust tip for my 2002 C-class where the item location was in UK and I received it within 10 days.
Ordered more than 85 items so far and haven't had a single failed delivery from UK, Turkey, China, Honk Kong, Malayasia, Thailand and Japan.
UK and Turkey took less than 10 days and when I order from UK, I ask the seller to ship via Royal Mail International Signed-For, safest and fastest from my experience.
Japan, HK, etc take around 15 days.
Till now I've never had to pay any duty for items coming through the post and that includes a mobile phone, lots of car parts, football jerseys, etc.
BraveArc is offline   Reply With Quote