Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th August 2009, 13:39   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
BSNL & Customer Support in the same sentence?
Ask me, since last 6 weeks, my connection is dropping every min or 2 and no one has a clue ... I wonder if anyone even knows what to do.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 14:14   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

BSNL Broadband is becoming a pain. I think they are just giving out connections without looking at their capacity. Also, in cases of complaint you are down to the local lineman who has Zilch knowledge about the Broadband part of the system. Essentially, with ADSL you are using the bandwidth above 4kHz with dynamic equalisation at the exchange end.

Just see the number of twisted joints in lines. At home I have put a DB at the house. Every time there is a fault the jokers promptly pull the sires out of the DB and I am back to their twisted pair!!! I guess the punching tools have been 'lost'.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 14:45   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Ask me, since last 6 weeks, my connection is dropping every min or 2 and no one has a clue ...
You have BSNL or MTNL?

Anyhow, first monitor the dB figures for the S/N ratio and the Attenuation, so that you can quote the same to them. Generally frequent disconnects happen when the S/N ratio figure drops to 15dB or less (upload). The trick is to reach the AEE (Internet connections) of your local exchange, and ask him politely to get the line checked at the exchange end, or else. They somehow sympathize with people speaking technical language and get things done fast (don't ask me why, but this has been my observation).

There have been many instances - especially after heavy rains - where my voice line is dead, yet the Internet connection is working perfectly. The problem is always in the interconnects on the Exchange side MDF.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:38   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
BSNL Broadband is becoming a pain. I think they are just giving out connections without looking at their capacity. Also, in cases of complaint you are down to the local lineman who has Zilch knowledge about the Broadband part of the system. Essentially, with ADSL you are using the bandwidth above 4kHz with dynamic equalisation at the exchange end.

Just see the number of twisted joints in lines. At home I have put a DB at the house. Every time there is a fault the jokers promptly pull the sires out of the DB and I am back to their twisted pair!!! I guess the punching tools have been 'lost'.
Sir. Same things are at my place. Guess what they dont know how to punch the lines in BOX. so they simply twist them and put the electrical tape on it. Such a waste of DP BOX !
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:17   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
BSNL & Customer Support in the same sentence?
Ask me, since last 6 weeks, my connection is dropping every min or 2 and no one has a clue ... I wonder if anyone even knows what to do.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:28   #171
Senior - BHPian

You posted twice the same..! Well, I too have a MTNL broadband connection at my office in Delhi and it works like a dream. A lot better than the AirTel broadband that I've at home.

Quote:
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 21:02   #172
BHPian

My Dataone connection was frequently disconnecting for the last 15 days and phone was dead, and to top that every complain i log with the CC was been closed without fixing the problem.

Finally wrote a couple of letters, 1 for the problem and other for rental rebate due to faulty line and went to the GM of the Exchange.A day later they changed the wiring till my modem.
Now works fine
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:19   #173
BHPian

In my case, it was the port on exchange end, demonstrated the issue to BSNL JTO twice, they changed the port on their end and the problem was resolved.

Pending issues:

Noisy line - even though Broadband seems to be working ok, line is noisy and sometimes impossible to hear the other person

Frequent Outages : Due to one reason or the other, broadband is down 2-3 times a month, for 1/2/3 days each.

I'm using 500c+ plan, so for 600/- p.m I get 2.5 GB, night unlimited, 50 free phonecalls, 0 rental.

I'm looking for an alternate or backup connection to use when BSNL connection goes down.

Suggestions please.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:59   #174
BHPian

I upgraded for 256kpbs unlimited to 1Mbps unlimited but I am getting only 750kbps as per the tests I run (online speed tests from BSNL site). Since it says upto 1 Mbps in the plan can they give only 750 kbps or should I complain?
achinthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 22:42   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, it was the port on exchange end, demonstrated the issue to BSNL JTO twice, they changed the port on their end and the problem was resolved.

Pending issues:

Noisy line - even though Broadband seems to be working ok, line is noisy and sometimes impossible to hear the other person

Frequent Outages : Due to one reason or the other, broadband is down 2-3 times a month, for 1/2/3 days each.

I'm using 500c+ plan, so for 600/- p.m I get 2.5 GB, night unlimited, 50 free phonecalls, 0 rental.

I'm looking for an alternate or backup connection to use when BSNL connection goes down.

Suggestions please.
Noisy Line! i know its their job to put a cable till consumer's end. Invest in a good quality cable from your nearest pole to your home, this govt issue cable are not of good quality except for the underground pairs. Free a day or two and work with the lineman, and check the disturbances along with him. This are the thing that i have done. i rarely have a downtime since and i download 5-6 gb daily during the nighttime unlimited hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I upgraded for 256kpbs unlimited to 1Mbps unlimited but I am getting only 750kbps as per the tests I run (online speed tests from BSNL site). Since it says upto 1 Mbps in the plan can they give only 750 kbps or should I complain?
Its actually up to 2mpbs where ever available. getting a DSL to work to its maximum throughput is practically impossible.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 22:59   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Pending issues:

Use an ADSL splitter to separate the data and voice signals at every telephone access point that you have a phone connected to.

This should take care of the noise during calls.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 23:37   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Pending issues: Noisy line - even though Broadband seems to be working ok, line is noisy and sometimes impossible to hear the other person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Invest in a good quality cable from your nearest pole to your home, this govt issue cable are not of good quality except for the underground pairs. Free a day or two and work with the lineman, and check the disturbances along with him.
+1 to that. Had the same problem a long while ago, got some 90m cable changed to LAN cable.

I had the first major issue with BSNL in this August. Took 10 days and 166 phone calls to fix.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 00:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Use an ADSL splitter to separate the data and voice signals at every telephone access point that you have a phone connected to.

Not at every extension. thats not the proper way to use a splitter.

The very first line that comes from the pole should go to the 'line' of splitter. ADSL goes to the modem, and phone goes to instruments, Now this 'Phone' part is the one you can branch away as many extension as you need.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 01:12   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Not at every extension. thats not the proper way to use a splitter.

The very first line that comes from the pole should go to the 'line' of splitter. ADSL goes to the modem, and phone goes to instruments, Now this 'Phone' part is the one you can branch away as many extension as you need.
Well, the telephone line that comes from the pole is internally (via in-wall cable) routed to all the rooms of a house/apartment so that one can plug in a telephone at any access point in the house.

So even if you use a splitter at one access point to separate out the data to the modem and voice to a telephone, you will be resolving the noise issue only at that access point. The signal at all other access points in the house will still have voice+data signals mixed. Hence the need to use a separate splitter at each point where you use a telephone.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 10:55   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

^^^ I recall seeing a diagram with this kind of recommendation on some BSNL site...

I have been having a very strange problem in the last few months - my Huawei modem, when switched on from cold has been taking a PRETTY long time to boot up. And after it does, the upload speed is a pathetic 84 kbps, approx. Now the funny thing is, if the modem is rebooted after say 10 or more mins (after it has warmed up), then the booting up is much faster and the modem works at the max upload speed too!

Anybody has any idea of what could be going wrong? I'm fed up of waiting 5 mins for the initial modem boot up... and then have to again disconnect and reboot after sometime...

Last edited by Raccoon : 8th December 2009 at 10:57.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote