Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 14:29   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 905
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

BSNL:
1. When you apply for connection all you need is to give a call - the lineman would come to your house and connect the modem and give you the id/password. You would start getting bills along with your telephone bill.
2. When you want to disconnect, you need to personally go to the exchange and surrender the modem (if taken for rent) and then with that receipt go personally to the billing office and submit a letter. Getting a connection is a breeze, but cancelling is a pain!
3. I have another internet connection from BSNL (evdo wireless usb). I bought the connection from a BSNL fair conducted at LMS, Trivandrum and had opted for outright purchase of the modem (paid around 4500 Rs). For the last one year, I have been getting extra 200 Rs in bill as modem rental. I have been running from pillar to post for rectifying this, but you know how the customer support of BSNL is...
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:40   #242
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default

Serves you right for going to the monopoly aptly called "Bhai Saheb Nashin Lagega" by SS Ahluwalia in a question to Dayanidhi Maran, the then telecom minister.

I have a BSNL landline with Broadband (n options since none of the others are there with landlines in my area). It has been under ECS for well over five years. Today we get a call that our bill is unpaid, and the lady is arguing that ECS may have been disabled. I got an sms only four days ago that the amount has been debited to my account. When questioned about the st*p#d BSNL she claims that the fault is with their billing department as if she is not part of BSNL. The earlier the dinosaurs like BSNL, MTNL, AI are privatised/killed off the better for everyone. May be then our taxes can also be reduced.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:40   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,956 Times
Default

^^^ shoot an email to all the one's here & your issue will be sorted out in few days
If that doesn't work, try an appeal with RTI. Trust me, it is working for me atleast in Chennai.
@sgiitk - Sir, yes there're several issues with BSNL, but they're far far better than what they were before privitisation. They're the cheapest in terms of service providers & lets give them one more chance before dumping them. Afterall money & service goes together.

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 14:43.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:53   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Has BSNL upgraded their connections?
i was on 256kbps unlimited and i am getting these speeds as of now.

akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:59   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Has BSNL upgraded their connections?
i was on 256kbps unlimited and i am getting these speeds as of now.

Yes till 30th April! I think they are just testing out the load. Eventually you will be upgraded to 512 as every ISP is doing it.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 15:09   #246
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Ya same here. I too am experiencing faster speeds. Good move by BSNL.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 15:15   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
yes there're several issues with BSNL, but they're far far better than what they were before privitisation.
They are not yet privatised, but will be damn good if they are privatised at the earliest!
BSNL Customer Support is non-existent, for each & every thing you are dependent on the Line man babu OR the SDE chilling off at the Exchange.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 15:20   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,956 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
They are not yet privatised, but will be damn good if they are privatised at the earliest!
BSNL Customer Support is non-existent, for each & every thing you are dependent on the Line man babu OR the SDE chilling off at the Exchange.
I know they aren't fully privatised, but the govt now holds only a little share due to which we see people in BSNL working.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 16:50   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I am on the home 750 unlimited package. And suddenly since yesterday my speed has increased by 2 times. I am getting download speed minimum in exess of 60 kbps. Really like BSNL now.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 17:00   #250
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I am on the home 750 unlimited package. And suddenly since yesterday my speed has increased by 2 times. I am getting download speed minimum in exess of 60 kbps. Really like BSNL now.
Unfortunately, its temporary...
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 17:09   #251
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 169
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Unfortunately, its temporary...
That's right.Only upto 30th April.

See this link.

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 18:01   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ shoot an email to all the one's here & your issue will be sorted out in few days
If that doesn't work, try an appeal with RTI. Trust me, it is working for me atleast in Chennai.
@sgiitk - Sir, yes there're several issues with BSNL, but they're far far better than what they were before privitisation. They're the cheapest in terms of service providers & lets give them one more chance before dumping them. Afterall money & service goes together.
Not so. At least not here. For eg. I'm paying Rs. 750 + tax for a 256 kbps unlimited connection. Reliance on the other hand is giving a 300 unlimited connection for Rs. 650/month along with 150 free calls. Caller id phone and modem come free (there is a Rs. 500 installation charge though). BSNL gives neither for free and there are no free calls either. Also, I believe that calling charges on Reliance are cheaper than BSNL landline whose tariffs are now totally uncompetitive. IIRC even Airtel BB tariff is a bit cheaper than BSNL.

Whats more, its been 16 days that my complaint is rotting at the exchange. I even emailed and phoned the Nodal (PG) officer. Till date nobody has bothered to contact me or rectify the issues. Do you really think they are even interested in all the chances you are so graciously suggesting to give them?

I'd have gotten rid of the connection pronto, but my pop ain't ready to let go of the number. But I think they will eventually force him to do it. Good!

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th April 2010 at 18:03.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 21:52   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I know they aren't fully privatised, but the govt now holds only a little share due to which we see people in BSNL working.
Don't know from where you are getting all this info, Govt still owns a majority stake in BSNL.

However, Sam Pitroda's committee have recently recommended 30% divestment of BSNL, which as expected the employees Union is vigoursly protesting!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:42   #254
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
... Rs. 750 + tax for a 256 kbps unlimited connection. Reliance on the other hand is giving a 300 unlimited connection for Rs. 650/month along with 150 free calls. ...
Not a correct comparison.
* When BSNL says unlimited, they mean it - there is no upload or download limit, not even in creatively formed language. Reliance and others actually place a limit - most consumers don't notice it
* BSNL keeps voice and data billing separate, others are creatively 'packaging' it
* BSNL lines break down, so do the service of the others. We complain BSNL customer service is hopeless - ever tried getting through to Airtel customer service (physically and metaphorically)? With BSNL, you can catch hold of the local AE/JE and get something done. Can you do that with Airtel, Tata or Reliance?

One has to remember Keynesian principles: TANSTAFL - or "nothing comes free in life"!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:48   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Not so. At least not here. For eg. I'm paying Rs. 750 + tax for a 256 kbps unlimited connection. Reliance on the other hand is giving a 300 unlimited connection for Rs. 650/month along with 150 free calls. Caller id phone and modem come free (there is a Rs. 500 installation charge though). BSNL gives neither for free and there are no free calls either. Also, I believe that calling charges on Reliance are cheaper than BSNL landline whose tariffs are now totally uncompetitive. IIRC even Airtel BB tariff is a bit cheaper than BSNL.
I used to have a reliance boredband unlimited connection. The bandwidth was 64 kbps, and downloads would take 15 to 20 X more time that what I am currently getting on 256 kbps BSNL.

If disconnection BSNL is not easy, it is a nightmare disconnecting reliance. You continue to receive the bills for next 3 - 4 months, numbeous "why did you disconnect" calls and of course, in reliance, the superiors do not know what the subordinates are doing.

I have disconnected BSNL once earlier, switched to VSNL / Tata, then over to Reliance and now back to Reliance. Some time in between, have used a reliance fixed WLL phone for accessing the net. The WLL phone was faster than their wired boredband.

BTW, for first time in 15 years, my land line has gone dead; and as of today, it if the 4th day of its sad demise. But, as you can see, the net connection works.

Edit:- Getting through to reliance customer care was a nightmare; but once the complaint was registered, it was fixed pronto. And 1 one of 3 calls required multiple followups.

With BSNL, they may take time attending to my complaints, but when it is fixed, it is fixed for good.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th April 2010 at 22:52.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MTNL and BSNL's combo plan for broadband Minardi Shifting gears 35 20th June 2017 19:44
BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration carboy Gadgets, Computers & Software 69 9th October 2012 23:19
Team-BHP is extremely slow with BSNL-Broadband! SumitB Shifting gears 23 1st August 2010 18:47
How To Improve BSNL/MTNL BroadBand Output finetuning Gadgets, Computers & Software 12 23rd December 2008 16:02
A question to all BSNL Broadband Unlimited Plan users adya33 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 21st December 2008 20:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks