Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th October 2010, 09:02   #436
Senior - BHPian

I am on 750UL 512kbps plan.
why is data one usage finder showing some 500bucks plan
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:51   #437
Senior - BHPian

I have the unlimited (Rs 900) connection. For the past one week it has been extremely slow - even slower than a dial-up connection. There is no response at the toll free support numbers - both 1600 and 1800 xx xxx. My neighbors are not facing any issue wrt speed. I have cleaned up my system to try and speed things up, but no use. How to resolve this? Are there any other numbers?

I am thinking of throwing this connection and switching to Airtel or Photon. Anyone using them here?

Last edited by Gansan : 4th October 2010 at 10:53.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:19   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There is no response at the toll free support numbers - both 1600 and 1800 xx xxx.
Sir, isn't the toll free number 1500? I would suggest registering your complaint with them first, wait for 2 days & write directly to nodal officers; people from your local exchange will rush to your home.

In my case, the worst thing is that, the first 4 digits followed by 1191 also doesn't work (says telephone number does not exist) for landline complaints. This is like ambulance meeting with an accident

Sorry about the OT, but anyone checked this sweet plans from BSNL? - http://chennai.bsnl.co.in/News/NEWHOMEUL_220910.htm

Last edited by aargee : 4th October 2010 at 11:28.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 19:00   #439
BHPian

Quote:
I have the unlimited (Rs 900) connection. For the past one week it has been extremely slow - even slower than a dial-up connection. There is no response at the toll free support numbers - both 1600 and 1800 xx xxx. My neighbors are not facing any issue wrt speed. I have cleaned up my system to try and speed things up, but no use. How to resolve this? Are there any other numbers?

I am thinking of throwing this connection and switching to Airtel or Photon. Anyone using them here?
This is an issue that exists for me as well, seems one of their gateways are down and is expected to be set right in 2 days!!
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 20:03   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Looks like a routing issue in Chennai VSNL to me, try tracert and see the 4-5 hops with lot of delay/packet loss in Chennai VSNL.

It is unusable with even mail not opening.
Yes.Traceroute Shows a big delay with Chennai VSNL.

But, Today Morning 7:30AM Onwards Speed Was Back and I was able to browse Sites Which Were Earlier was Taking Lot of Time.BUT, Later slow Speeds!
Seems to Me, They are Purposefully Slowing Up or What?

Last edited by deepclutch : 4th October 2010 at 20:05.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 20:17   #441
Senior - BHPian

@aargee
The number is 1500, sorry for the typo. But their call centre sucks bigtime. Nobody ever comes online and we are put on hold eternally.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:26   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But their call centre sucks bigtime. Nobody ever comes online and we are put on hold eternally.
Ok, then try this one sir - http://www.chennai.bsnl.co.in:8181/O...ons/bfcomp.asp

I don't know whether it works or not, I've lodged a complaint with 1500 yesterday & registered one more using the above link this morning. Let's keep ourselves updates on the progress.

Last edited by aargee : 4th October 2010 at 20:31.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:06   #443
Senior - BHPian

My experience is that we should keep the mobile number of the tech person at the local telephone exchange. They are usually competent and knowledgeable. They do not bat an eyelid when Isay that I run GNU/Linux. It does no bother them that I do not run windows explorer or that I have no control center on the PC. When I ask for DNS IPs, they will happily give it.

These numbers are usually official numbers, and do not change when the person is transferred. You need to pay a visit to the local exchange to find out the person and get his phone number. Best option is to take this number as soon as you get the connection, and somebmes, from the lineman who installed your modem.

Since these individuals are fairly highup in the hierarchy, the line men too will ordinarily respond to their orders fairly quickly.

Another thing I have learnt - even if the phone is fault, if the line to the exchange is continuous (that is, if there is no snapping of lines), internet will work.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:45   #444
Senior - BHPian

@BSD - Sorry to say, this is a very bad example of how "bhaksheesh" is encouraged. I wouldn't do that for sure. From my experience, those guys are taped to repeat their own steps & cannot think or try anything out of their training.

A simple example being, a few months ago, my moden went kaput. I verified this by taking the modem to my neighbour's house & it wasn't working & bought their modem to our home & the internet was working.

I went over to BSNL office with the modem & started with my internet is not working for which they asked me lodge a complaint & I gave them the ticket number. So they said, they'll check the lines in the evening for which I told them my experience on testing.

This guy's face turns off & says its his job to say that the modem is at fault & not mine & asks me to come in the evening. When I approached him in the evening, his face is rigid & hands over me another modem.

Even though BSNL has become partially private, the red tapism is still flowing in their blood!!!
Old 4th October 2010, 21:53   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Another thing I have learnt - even if the phone is fault, if the line to the exchange is continuous (that is, if there is no snapping of lines), internet will work.
I kinda agree with that. Internet works even when the phone has a lot of issues. Though, when the adsl light doesn't stabilize I log in the complaint as phone being dead, and it gets fixed. If the complaint is logged with the Broadband department, nobody ever responds.

A month ago during rains there was a heavy noise in the receiver due to a line issue making listening impossible. Internet didn't get effected by that, worked fine..and to reach home we ended up using the Majicjack/Ooma numbers to reach home.

Last edited by gendarmee : 4th October 2010 at 21:55.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 19:42   #446
Senior - BHPian

I could finally speak to an operator today. According to him a gateway server is down and it will take another three days to fix.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:30   #447
BHPian

I am uploading my broadband line parameters here, can someone take a look and share opinion on what might be wrong? The line is disconnected every few (2-5) mins. The lineman has checked the line and says it is ok, there is no noise in the telephone instrument, well there is a little but that is standard and has always been there.
Attached Thumbnails
BSNL BroadBand Issues-line-parameters.jpg  

Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 19:43   #448

@Shankyz, you have more noise and less of useful signals in your line (indicated by the SNR) and lots of signal loss (indicated by the Attenuation). Get the line/joints checked. Do you stay far away from your exchange ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please wait for your post to be approved rather than posting a duplicate post here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th October 2010 at 20:21. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
mod-the-pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 23:02   #449
BHPian

Not that far. about 2 Kms I think. But last 2-3 weeks the broadband is unusable with disconnects every few minutes, what would be the range of good values for SNR and attenuation?
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 00:20   #450

SNR should be around 30 dB and Attenuation below 20 db for a good broadband experience. I've a SNR of 30 dB and attenuation of just 5 dB.
mod-the-pc is offline   Reply With Quote