Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 11:25   #826
BHPian
 
amanomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
The E900 cannot replace the modem that MTNL has supplied. You will have to run a short Ethernet cable from one to the other and then spend 10 minutes configuring the wifi network - it's very easy. The E900 only supplements the MTNL modem; tomorrow if the E900 stops working for some reason you can revert to the MTNL modem in an emergency.
Thanks for the clarification Mr. Kumar. That is what I needed.

So in essence there is no benefit as both the devices have to function together, and the new device is not of much use as the existing setup serves me well. If all it does is increase the range of Wifi, I can very well do that using a repeater device (which I already have), right?
amanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 11:47   #827
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 287
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Thanks for the clarification Mr. Kumar. That is what I needed.

So in essence there is no benefit as both the devices have to function together, and the new device is not of much use as the existing setup serves me well. If all it does is increase the range of Wifi, I can very well do that using a repeater device (which I already have), right?
Most welcome. In your case your MTNL DSL modem already has built in wifi. For me, the DSL Modem that BSNL supplied did not have wifi so it was essential for me to buy my own hardware. Another reason was that the BSNL model was of poor quality and very flimsy - I wanted to have it mounted someplace inaccessible and safe while the E900 being very robust could be kept on a window-sill.

I don't know how good the wifi signal of the MTNL model is -- I guess you will have to take a call from experience. All I can say is that the E900 functions quite well and with it placed on the first floor I am still able to use the network from my phone on the other side of the house while walking in our garden.

Personally I have never used a repeater so cannot say how good/bad they will be but I feel they are mostly overpriced considering their limited function. I did a google search just now and the price range is Rs 1,000-1,400. Pay a couple of hundred rupees more and you might as well buy a wireless router -- if not E900, maybe than a D-Link model.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 11:55   #828
BHPian
 
amanomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Most welcome. In your case your MTNL DSL modem already has built in wifi. For me, the DSL Modem that BSNL supplied did not have wifi so it was essential for me to buy my own hardware. Another reason was that the BSNL model was of poor quality and very flimsy - I wanted to have it mounted someplace inaccessible and safe while the E900 being very robust could be kept on a window-sill.

I don't know how good the wifi signal of the MTNL model is -- I guess you will have to take a call from experience. All I can say is that the E900 functions quite well and with it placed on the first floor I am still able to use the network from my phone on the other side of the house while walking in our garden.

Personally I have never used a repeater so cannot say how good/bad they will be but I feel they are mostly overpriced considering their limited function. I did a google search just now and the price range is Rs 1,000-1,400. Pay a couple of hundred rupees more and you might as well buy a wireless router -- if not E900, maybe than a D-Link model.
Got it. Thanks for your prompt help on this Mr. Kumar!
amanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 13:43   #829
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,383
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Hi,

I had taken a BSNL Broadband connection way back in the year 2006. We took the modem, the standard UT300R2U on rent and after many months, they stopped charging us the rent for the same as well.

Now, after 8 years, I'd like to surrender the Broadband connection while keeping the landline services intact as is.

I plan on surrendering the service sometime this week. Could someone please guide me on how to get it done at one go? I need to take half day's leave from office to finish this. :/ I will be going to the Indiranagar Exchange in Bangalore.

For now, I know that I need to write a letter and submit it to the exchange. But don't know to whom I must address the letter or what it must contain. Could someone help me with what must be written in the letter and which of these things must I return to BSNL?

1) Modem
2) LAN cable
3) Steel type USB cable
4) Power adapter
5) Telephone cable

Anything else I need to give back to them?

Thanks a lot guys. Will really appreciate some detailed responses!
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 17:50   #830
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Since its more than three years, the modem will automatically become yours. If not you will need to return back your Modem, Power Adapter & Lan Cable.

Please print this below letter and if possible take your previous paid bill along with the disconnection request letter.

They will take 2-4 weeks to disconnect your line. Though the broadband connection might be active for few days after you submit the request please do not try to use them.

Quote:
To
BSNL, Bangalore TD
Bangalore

Sub: Cancellation of Broadband Facility to 080-xxxxxxxx
Billing Account Number: xxxxxxxxxx
Customer ID: xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Officer,
I request you to disconnect the broadband facility availed on our BSNL telephone number bearing 080-xxxxxxxx effective immediately.
Please check and do the needful as soon as possible.

Thank you
Your Name
Ph: 080-xxxxxxxx
Mob : xxxxxxxxxx
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 19:55   #831
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,383
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Since its more than three years, the modem will automatically become yours. If not you will need to return back your Modem, Power Adapter & Lan Cable.

Please print this below letter and if possible take your previous paid bill along with the disconnection request letter.

They will take 2-4 weeks to disconnect your line. Though the broadband connection might be active for few days after you submit the request please do not try to use them.
Thanks CRV2010!

I have used your letter as a template and wrote a letter that I intend to submit to the Indiranagar Exchange tomorrow. Hope they don't make me run around unnecessarily as I will be taking half a day off tomorrow to get this done.

I have gotten the last bill, which happens to be the one I paid today. Hope it works out!
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 19:59   #832
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Apart from the phone, I think modem will be on purchase basis or even if it is taken on rent for two years or more it will be automatically yours. So I dont think you should return the modem back to them. I have seen these technicians sell such used modems to customers whose modems are busted. Only the phone should be returned to reclaim the security deposit paid.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 23:24   #833
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,383
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Apart from the phone, I think modem will be on purchase basis or even if it is taken on rent for two years or more it will be automatically yours. So I dont think you should return the modem back to them. I have seen these technicians sell such used modems to customers whose modems are busted. Only the phone should be returned to reclaim the security deposit paid.
Thanks man. It seems like I armed appropriately for battle!

I'll keep you guys posted.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 17:37   #834
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,628
Thanked: 9,103 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Starting around end-November my BSNL broadband connection stopped functioning. The green "Internet" LED on the modem went off and I wasn't getting any connectivity. Complained once, they claimed to have fixed it, complained again and then a third, fourth and fifth time. BSNL has to be the most apathetic service provider ever- they just don't care. Finally I got a contact from someone in the neighbourhood and called him. He was quite responsive and my internet starting working again but intermittently. It is still in this state (works either very well or not at all) and I am at my wits' end. Moralfibre suggests I put a complaint on pgportal.in which I am now considering. Things are so bad that I can't even depend on this line to work from home occasionally as I used to. Explored a few alternatives like You broadband but was assured that they were equally bad.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 20:35   #835
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 330
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
.. ... BSNL has to be the most apathetic service provider ever- they just don't care. .
Noopster, I also faced issue with BSNL broadband in Nov. But my experience was totally different. Outstanding service from BSNL.
I launched complaint via http://selfcare.wdc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal and the service engineer attended the complaint same day. I was facing issue wherein the link between modem and BSNL was disconnecting often (every 5 minutes). They took 2 days and called up saying they have changed my line. Still the problem persisted. The engineer then gave me his modem on 3rd day for me to check for one whole day and I was able to narrow it down to issue with my 10 yr old Huawei modem. Bought D-Link DSL modem on 4th day and no issues since then. Though it took 3 days, I am happy with the way the approached the issue and narrowed it down to the modem in step by step procedure.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 12:43   #836
BHPian
 
ishotmydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 594
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Last few months I too have a lot of connectivity issues with BSNL broadband. The folks at BSNL were of the opinion that it is my modem that had the issue. Ive got myself a new Modem, will post feedback once I have it configured.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:38   #837
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,530 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Since its more than three years, the modem will automatically become yours. If not you will need to return back your Modem, Power Adapter & Lan Cable.

Please print this below letter and if possible take your previous paid bill along with the disconnection request letter.
Thank you so much for stating the procedure to get rid of the BSNL DSL connection and for providing a template for the letter!

I'm sick of BSNL and their "broadband" connection. To be frank, it was working pretty well till about a year (or so) ago, but since then it has been all downhill. In the past two months or so, it has simply become unusable.

I got only the line activated for DSL a few years back by BSNL - I had purchased a compatible DSL modem/router from the market and set it up by myself, so it should make things simpler.

I'll be getting rid of the BSNL broadband connection (& its associated plan) alone and retaining the basic landline connection and its plan.

I hope the mobile companies pull up their socks and quickly introduce widespread 4G coverage with reliable speeds and affordable plans.

Last edited by RSR : 5th January 2015 at 15:41.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 21:42   #838
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

I have been facing this issue for a week now - ISP Authetication failed.

The username and password are correct, but not getting authenticated after DSL becomes steady. Raised a complaint in BSNL selfcare when I first observed this issue - they called me and told that this issue is observed for many customers under that exchange and it will be resolved shortly. After few minutes, they called up again and asked me to restart the modem and the issue was resolved.

Two days after that, I am observing this issue again.

Any idea what could be it? Attaching the disgnostic results and the last few lines of the modem log.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 624
Size:  11.7 KB

Name:  Untitled2.png
Views: 621
Size:  12.3 KB
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 22:39   #839
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have been facing this issue for a week now - ISP Authetication failed.

The username and password are correct, but not getting authenticated after DSL becomes steady. Raised a complaint in BSNL selfcare when I first observed this issue - they called me and told that this issue is observed for many customers under that exchange and it will be resolved shortly. After few minutes, they called up again and asked me to restart the modem and the issue was resolved.

Two days after that, I am observing this issue again.

Any idea what could be it? Attaching the disgnostic results and the last few lines of the modem log.

Attachment 1349044

Attachment 1349045
Your account is getting blocked at their end. They will have to reset it. That might be happening because someone else is using your user id / password OR someone is using your telephone line with his user id & pass OR some conflict issue at their end.

Same thing was happening to me earlier where my and our neighbor phone lines were attached to same line by error by the line man.

Last edited by CRV2010 : 12th March 2015 at 22:41.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 17:09   #840
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 472
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

My post on another thread about BSNL broadband is

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...router-84.html

Last edited by skdking : 14th February 2016 at 17:30.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MTNL and BSNL's combo plan for broadband Minardi Shifting gears 35 20th June 2017 19:44
BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration carboy Gadgets, Computers & Software 69 9th October 2012 23:19
Team-BHP is extremely slow with BSNL-Broadband! SumitB Shifting gears 23 1st August 2010 18:47
How To Improve BSNL/MTNL BroadBand Output finetuning Gadgets, Computers & Software 12 23rd December 2008 16:02
A question to all BSNL Broadband Unlimited Plan users adya33 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 21st December 2008 20:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks