Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th October 2010, 11:56   #151
BHPian

You can also try buffalo
shwetanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 12:42   #152
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Trancend 640 GB portable Hard Disk Drive costing around Rs4.5K in Bangalore ,I have never used a Trancend product hence a bit apprehensive can anyone comment on this product, feature, relaibility etc.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 14:05   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I am planning to buy a Trancend 640 GB portable Hard Disk Drive costing around Rs4.5K in Bangalore ,I have never used a Trancend product hence a bit apprehensive can anyone comment on this product, feature, relaibility etc.
Just make sure that you purchase it with bill and warranty.

Any reason for your apprehension ? Transcend is a reputed brand.

Or else, buy Seagate. I am using 2 Seagate portable HDDs without any problem.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 17:11   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Trancend is indeed a reputed and tested brand so you can go for it with confidence.
However, to be on safer side in order to avoid any spurious product buy from reliable source with bill and warranty

happy hunting
Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 22:19   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Transcend is good. I am using a 500GB transcend for the last 6 months no issues with it, i bought it for Rs 3200 in Hyd. I am assuming it would be available for similar price anywhere else.

One good thing about this one is its totally USB based, although you have two USB points which need to be used to power the HDD. I really didn't go for any other brand because everything else which i saw needed external power and were not working using USBs.

Make sure you have the bill, because Transcend comes with a 2 year Warranty.

The details of the HDD i am using is on the URL Welcome to Transcend Website - StoreJet 25M2
changaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 01:34   #156
Senior - BHPian

Futurebazaar.com has a 500Gb Seagate USB powered external HDD on sale for 4000/- Is this a good deal?
http://www.futurebazaar.com/Product/...+Drive/2437498
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 01:52   #157
Senior - BHPian

^^Nope. You can get the same drive for around 3.5/6k if you look around. You can even try ebay if SP Road kind of place not nearby.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 12:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a HDD for storing photographs (and few videas shot from camera) ONLY. I have Seagate one with 360GB capacity which I will use for storing other data.

Since I shoot in RAW+Fine the photos occupy a lot of space. I also happen to shoot quite a number of photos regularly.

I am looking for a 1TB+ HDD with reasonable amount of reliability. Can anyone suggest a good pick?

Is it a good idea to Zip the photos and store?

Heard of some wifi HDDs too. Are they useful?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 12:39   #159
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
DO NOT buy Transcend at all!!!! I have had a very shoddy experience with them. I had bought a 32GB pen drive with life time warranty. Apparently the product was faulty from the very beginning. After a certain amount of GBs it wouldnt copy more data, or it would keep getting locked with "Access Denied". I was travelling after the purchase and came back after a few months.

After my return I sent the pen drive for replacement couple of times, but they refused flatly. They said that the S/N printed on the drive had erased and they wouldnt honour the warranty. I showed them the legit bill with S/N but to no avail. I tried to reason with them that the S/N was not etched or something and it was mere ink printing on the drive. It was bound to wear off in some time, which is why I had not only the bill from the vendor, but also a copy of the vendor's bill which he had purchased from the distributor. But they didnt relent. So i am stuck with the faulty product.

I wouldnt recommend Transcend at all!!
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 13:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a HDD for storing photographs (and few videas shot from camera) ONLY. I have Seagate one with 360GB capacity which I will use for storing other data.

Since I shoot in RAW+Fine the photos occupy a lot of space. I also happen to shoot quite a number of photos regularly.

I am looking for a 1TB+ HDD with reasonable amount of reliability. Can anyone suggest a good pick?
I'm using WD MyBook and Seagate portable drives for photos. I would prefer the WD to the Seagate. What I'm doing is that keeping two copies of the photographs so that even if something happens to one I'll still be having the 2nd drive with the same set of photos. It's better to have backup of backups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Is it a good idea to Zip the photos and store?
Not much idea but somehow I don't feel it's a good idea.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Portable HDD ?

I was planning on getting a 1TB external usb powered drive for backups, but since I lasted researched, the prices seem to have gone up considerably.

Is this a right time to buy? Is a reduction possible in the near future?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:34   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Supplies are desperately short. Expect the prices to come down again in about 3-6 months. There was some major disruption (I am not sure whether it was the Thailand floods or a fire in some critical chipmaker!).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 20:08   #163
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Seagate 1 TB External HDD for Rs. 5500. Looks like the rates of HDDs have increased in recent times. I also have a IOMEGA 1TB External HDD bought couple of years back and it was much cheaper than this.

Name:  DSC07163.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSC07167.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  131.6 KB
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 09:57   #164
BHPian

I've a WD Passport-1Tb purchased from ebay for ~ 5k which has been running flawlessly for almost 1 yr now. Our maid dropped it the very next day while cleaning, the cover came out but I was able to snap it back in place. I recommend this product to anyone looking for a portable hdd
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 10:09   #165
Senior - BHPian

6 grand was the price I paid for a Seagate USB 3.0. 1 TeraByte external HDD. Bought it a week or ten days back.
I believe you can get it cheaper but since I bought from a shop keeper that I know, I don't mind giving him a bit of profit extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I was planning on getting a 1TB external usb powered drive for backups, but since I lasted researched, the prices seem to have gone up considerably.

Is this a right time to buy? Is a reduction possible in the near future?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote