Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th July 2012, 17:03   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Portable HDD ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Did you guys consider google drive before zeroing in on the above options? Because I am using that now and find it extremely convenient, but not really sure about the drawbacks. I have it installed in all my systems and I can access all the documents irrespective of the system I am using. Also any additional encryption that you use before uploading the documents?
I have not tried Google drive yet. I moved to SpiderOak mainly because of -

Quote:
Both Dropbox and SpiderOak encrypt user data on their servers using 256-bit AES encryption, but SpiderOak takes the extra step of encrypting the decryption key itself. This key can itself only be decrypted with the userís password, which SpiderOak never knows (the full authentication process is laid out here).

Source
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 22:03   #182
BHPian

I have a Panasonic TV. I want to play movies from my 320 gb Seagate FreeagentGo by connecting through USB. However power supply from the TV USB port is lower than required by the USB device. Is there any low capacity, low power USB external hdd?

Another possibility is HDD with separate power supply. What are the available options in this case?

Last edited by Guite : 10th September 2012 at 22:08.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 18:35   #183
BHPian

If you are not able to connect your USB HDD using Panasonic then power supply might not be the reason as USB uses low power DC. can you check

1. If USB HDD can be connected to any other device like computer?
2 If your TV detects any other USB device like a pen drive?

My Panasonic (UT30) has 3 USB port but only one USB port really detects HDD. Please check and see if you can connect to any other USB port.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 21:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind
If you are not able to connect your USB HDD using Panasonic then power supply might not be the reason as USB uses low power DC. can you check

1. If USB HDD can be connected to any other device like computer?
2 If your TV detects any other USB device like a pen drive?

My Panasonic (UT30) has 3 USB port but only one USB port really detects HDD. Please check and see if you can connect to any other USB port.
Thanks for the tip. I tried again and on USB 1 it detects but on USB 2 the TV restarts. Repeated twice with similar results. Startup reading of HDD is very slow, even on second and third attempt (obviously no indexing). Not very practical.
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:56   #185
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for an external disk mainly for storing software installers and backup my laptop. I am not sure whether I should go for 500 GB or 1TB - 500 GB should be enough but if there is not a heavy price diff, should I go for 1TB? What brands are good? And what features should I look for?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 18:45   #186
Senior - BHPian

Got this (plus a 4GB pendrive) for 5098, they seem to have increased the price overnight! I ordered last friday. First experience with infibeam turned out good.
WD Elements 1TB

I like the compact dimensions of this drive, plus the usb 3.0 capability.

It's selling for 5044 @ Tradus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for an external disk mainly for storing software installers and backup my laptop. I am not sure whether I should go for 500 GB or 1TB - 500 GB should be enough but if there is not a heavy price diff, should I go for 1TB? What brands are good? And what features should I look for?
I would suggest, go for 1TB. The price difference is not much, for 1.5-1.8k you get double the capacity. Plus, in this digital age, you never know when you would need that extra gig of space.

I think a few come with some sort of utility to automatically backup your data in the bg. Check if you want something of this sort. Plus USB 3.0 would be good to have if your lappy supports it - faster data transfer.

Popular manufacturers would be Seagate, WD, Transcend.
Old 25th September 2012, 20:11   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think a few come with some sort of utility to automatically backup your data in the bg. Check if you want something of this sort. Plus USB 3.0 would be good to have if your lappy supports it - faster data transfer.

Popular manufacturers would be Seagate, WD, Transcend.
Are 3.0 USB HDDs backward compatible - i.e. if I occasionally have to connect to a 2.0 port - will it work?
Old 25th September 2012, 22:27   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

Are 3.0 USB HDDs backward compatible - i.e. if I occasionally have to connect to a 2.0 port - will it work?
Yes, it will work. I have been using a 2TB HDD with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on different computers.
mukeshgoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 22:45   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Yes, it will work. I have been using a 2TB HDD with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on different computers.
Like mukesh said, it'll work fine on USB 2.0 as well, only catch is you won't be able to take advantage of the faster data transfer speed.
Old 25th September 2012, 22:46   #190

Smile Re: Which Portable HDD ?

Always partition the disk in multiple partitions, because whenever you connect it to any system, it will be faster to access specific partition, like when connecting to TVs. Indexing will be faster on smaller partition.

One more suggestion use truecrypt to encrypt one of the partitions and put your confidential files in that partition

downloadpage link

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

Do not encrypt partition in which you store movies and songs

You can shrink the existing partition using windows 7 diskmanagement or any third party softwares like Acronis, Gparted etc.

In my experience Transcend external HDD seems to more rugged and reliable
allauddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 11:35   #191
BHPian

Looks like prices for 1 TB HDD are finally coming down. Found Buffalo 1 TB for INR 4,956. Check here

Anybody has used Buffalo before how is the performance / reliability?
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 14:31   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allauddin View Post
Always partition the disk in multiple partitions, because whenever you connect it to any system, it will be faster to access specific partition, like when connecting to TVs. Indexing will be faster on smaller partition.

One more suggestion use truecrypt to encrypt one of the partitions and put your confidential files in that partition

downloadpage link

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

Do not encrypt partition in which you store movies and songs

You can shrink the existing partition using windows 7 diskmanagement or any third party softwares like Acronis, Gparted etc.

In my experience Transcend external HDD seems to more rugged and reliable
Thanks for the tip on partition and encryption. A few questions:-

1. Do you encrypt first and copy to external HDD, or the encryption process output can be directed to write to external HDD? What is the encryption output:- one single chunk of file or each individual files with same name and extension as original?

2. How do you prevent a TV or media player search through one partition?
Old 27th September 2012, 18:44   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Thank you.

One more question - stupid question - but I have never used an external HDD before.

Do these external HDDs come with cable to connect them to the USB port - or does have it to be bought separately? I am planning to order a HDD from one of the online shopping sites - the sites don't mention if I need a cable or not.
Old 27th September 2012, 18:53   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

Thank you.

One more question - stupid question - but I have never used an external HDD before.

Do these external HDDs come with cable to connect them to the USB port - or does have it to be bought separately? I am planning to order a HDD from one of the online shopping sites - the sites don't mention if I need a cable or not.
Mostly the drives comes with the cable. I have a two year old 2TB from Western Digitial (does not require power source).
If you have a USB3.0 then I will also recommend a pricy yet superfast OCZ SSD. Worth the money
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 18:55   #195
BHPian

Carboy, you can rest easy, the external HDDs do come with a cord for connecting to a USB port.
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote