Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 11:54   #2041
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,224
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default

^^Looks like the prices have gone up due to the dollar appreciating. One year warranty and there should be a pioneer service center in chennai that would carry out the servicing. You can confirm that. They told me the bangalore service center would deal with all issues in my case. I haven't bought it yet as I'm still waiting for a bit more green stuff .

Someone asked how the Pioneer is better... well here are the things -
-Significantly better black levels than anything else out there meaning the highest dynamic range on the planet
-D65 greyscale and 2.2 gamma calibration options and perfect rendition of the NTSC/PAL color space
-Film deinterlacing with 3:2 pulldown that actually works unlike the broken one in panasonic and every other TV
-Significantly better shadow detail, sharpness can be increased dramatically more than panasonic without inducing moire
-Gigantic amount of connectivity options
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:11   #2042
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Went through the same dilemma. For an additional 6k you get ..

1. SD card with Jpeg facility (I am sure workarounds are there BUT this can be useful)

2. AN extra HDMI port in the front (surely more convenient than dangling a cord in the rear - not to mention the cost of that cord itself!

3. Auto Contrast feature.

4. TWO mounts - a wall mount , and a swivel stand

5. PEACE OF MIND! - Not having to worry about VReal3 /VReal3 Pro and god knows what else!! ( Mind you - all the reviews speak about the PV/PX 80 and not the single digit model .. therefore!!)

Now decide if all of the above is worth the 6k extra. For me it was - and I bought the PV80 - and for 7.75k extra actually!
Even my pv8 came with item 4 of your list--a wall mount and also a swivel stand. Item 5 in your list is just a state of mind. IMO, the auto contrast feature and the extra hdmi port are the best features you get in the pv80.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:17   #2043
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Looks like the prices have gone up due to the dollar appreciating. One year warranty and there should be a pioneer service center in chennai that would carry out the servicing. You can confirm that. They told me the bangalore service center would deal with all issues in my case. I haven't bought it yet as I'm still waiting for a bit more green stuff .

Someone asked how the Pioneer is better... well here are the things -
-Significantly better black levels than anything else out there meaning the highest dynamic range on the planet
-D65 greyscale and 2.2 gamma calibration options and perfect rendition of the NTSC/PAL color space
-Film deinterlacing with 3:2 pulldown that actually works unlike the broken one in panasonic and every other TV
-Significantly better shadow detail, sharpness can be increased dramatically more than panasonic without inducing moire
-Gigantic amount of connectivity options
Good to know. I had a pioneer while in the U.S. But inspite of all this, Panasonic plasmas are much closer in terms of picture quality to Pioneers as I have seen. When you compare the prices, it provides a better option.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 13:42   #2044
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Someone asked how the Pioneer is better... well here are the things -
-Significantly better black levels than anything else out there meaning the highest dynamic range on the planet
-D65 greyscale and 2.2 gamma calibration options and perfect rendition of the NTSC/PAL color space
-Film deinterlacing with 3:2 pulldown that actually works unlike the broken one in panasonic and every other TV
-Significantly better shadow detail, sharpness can be increased dramatically more than panasonic without inducing moire
-Gigantic amount of connectivity options

That 'someone' was me!

My question, since you were so dismissive of the PY850, was whether your views were based on first hand experience or if it was based on your research. And if it was based on your experience, then you are likely to be amongst the few here who may have, and to request you to list the gaps you found viz the two.

Here is the CNETs take on The review actually did not pick a winner between the PY850 and Kuro - If anything they hazarded the Panny is "on par or even better" ..

Quote:
Taking everything into consideration, the Panasonic TH-50PY850 is mostly on par or even better than our reference Pioneer LX Kuro in motion reproduction and features. At almost half the price of the latter and with limited comparable 2008 entries plus a proven anti-judder engine, this Viera is probably one of the best options for a full-HD plasma TV. Alternatively, there's the Samsung Series 6 at a similar S$6,999 (US$4,683.80) pricing, but until we've scrutinized its 100Hz processing, we would suggest you stick with this Editors' Choice winner--making it twice in a roll for Panasonic.

Source Panasonic Viera TH-50PY850 (50-inch plasma) Review - TVs - CNET Asia
The latest to hit the market as far as "blacks" are concerned - a stagerring 2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast!!

LCD TV - Philips' HDTV scores with LEDs - CNET Asia

And last but not the least let me clarify - I am NOT a Kuro-hater, and neither am I a Panny-lover. In fact this is my first Panasonic purchase since my VCR of circa 1984 (National). In fact in the interim I have used a LOT of Pioneer products and loved them!

I love acceptable quality at good value! I feel this is where Panny's scores in this case.

End of the day any review goes only so far. It is afterall the author's view/perspective - and this can get jaundiced for a myriad of reasons!
Unfortunately is there an alternative other than ones own eyes ?!?

Last edited by kb100 : 19th November 2008 at 13:44.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 13:56   #2045
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,224
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default

The Panasonic PVxx/PYxx can't keep up with the 8G pioneer let alone the 9G ones. The only thing you get with the Panasonic over the Pioneer is FullHD which as many have already said is immaterial if you are watching from 12ft or more on a 50 inch. The full HD pios cost a lot more. In every other way the pios do way better than anything the panasonics can throw at them. Also CNET is not a site whose reviews have an iota of professionalism. All their reviews are based upon who puts the most number of ads. If you want real reviews, you should head to a site like hdtvtest.co.uk or hometheatermag.com.

The dynamic contrast levels mean jack. They are the same as PMPO in audio i.e. meaningless. The real contrast levels that even the best panels can produce is no more than 3500:1 and that itself is enough for DVD. Bluray can do better with higher contrast ratios. LED backlit LCD TVs can generate true 0 cd/m^2 black levels but that is limited only to situations where the screen is absolutely black. In a normal scene, these can't hold a candle to the best of plasmas.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 16:06   #2046
BHPian
 
VSG12777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 206
Thanked: 39 Times
Smile

Hi Jassi

Yeah you're right. At a distance of 10-12 feet, HD-Ready and Full-HD really wouldn't make any difference. I also read the same thing from other websites on the internet. I am now convinced regarding HD-ready. So PV80 is the way to go.

Budget bumping up - well .... still trying to work this out. We wanna try and get the best TV we possibly can at the time we're buying everything for the house. So if we get a 50-inch PV80 now, it would be easier on our pockets to get a small unit later for the bedroom etc. We are also thinking of another option - getting the 42-inch unit now and going for a bigger unit later around April next year.

I wanna get the 50-inch PV80 and the ProFX Fusion 5 speaker system / Denon AVR-1509 package from ProFX offered for 38k. This would be an ultimate combo. Let me see how it all works out. Gotta wait till around end of next month to know the outcome I guess.

Panasonic brand shop in T. Nagar, Chennai (the only one who would give out prices on the phone) has quoted me their best price of 62k for the 42PV80 and 107k for the 50PV80. Quite close to Devi International's price, especially the 50PV80 (just 3k difference) but still not the same. For 3k more, I would rather buy the unit in Chennai itself.

I checked out the Samsung 50-inch full HD plasma at their showroom, sitting on a nice leather couch about 12-13 feet away and the distance, big screen experience etc was superb. 42 inch does look much smaller in comparison. I suppose we can make up for the smaller size by sitting slightly closer at about 10 feet.

Will keep you guys updated.

Warm regards,
Venkat
VSG12777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:47   #2047
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Venkat - Find out who the distributor is and contact them directly. Also try meeting a couple of retailers. The brand shop will not be able to give you the prices you can get from them (FYI the Tiruppur Brand shop had given me a quote of 50k for the PV80).

I would buy the 42" for now, and pick up a better and bigger TV next year (once the 5Lumen per watt technology is out) . At which point this one can be moved to the bedroom.

You go the 'brand shop' route you will pay a few thousands more than the street prices.

All the Best!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:32   #2048
BHPian
 
VSG12777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 206
Thanked: 39 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Venkat - Find out who the distributor is and contact them directly. Also try meeting a couple of retailers. The brand shop will not be able to give you the prices you can get from them (FYI the Tiruppur Brand shop had given me a quote of 50k for the PV80).

I would buy the 42" for now, and pick up a better and bigger TV next year (once the 5Lumen per watt technology is out) . At which point this one can be moved to the bedroom.

You go the 'brand shop' route you will pay a few thousands more than the street prices.

All the Best!
Hi kb100

Yes that's a good idea. But how do I find out the distributors in Chennai ? Whom do I contact ? How did you find out your distributor in Coimbatore ? Did you call any of the phone numbers listed on the Panasonic India website ?

Your idea regarding the newer technology coming next year is good, but I doubt that the new technology would be cheap initially. It would as usual be priced at a premium and would take time to come down.

What distance do you watch your PV80 from ? At home now, we have an old 2001 model Thomson 29 inch TV and we watch from about 13 feet away. Sometimes I move the sofa one foot in front to make the distance 12 feet. Would this distance be enough for a 42 inch plasma ?

I did have a look at the distance vs size calculator etc but I don't how it would actually be to have a 42 inch plasma about 12 feet away. The 50 inch Samsung at the showroom looked amazing though. Real big screen experience.
VSG12777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:58   #2049
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hi kb100

Yes that's a good idea. But how do I find out the distributors in Chennai ? Whom do I contact ? How did you find out your distributor in Coimbatore ? Did you call any of the phone numbers listed on the Panasonic India website ?

Your idea regarding the newer technology coming next year is good, but I doubt that the new technology would be cheap initially. It would as usual be priced at a premium and would take time to come down.

What distance do you watch your PV80 from ? At home now, we have an old 2001 model Thomson 29 inch TV and we watch from about 13 feet away. Sometimes I move the sofa one foot in front to make the distance 12 feet. Would this distance be enough for a 42 inch plasma ?

I did have a look at the distance vs size calculator etc but I don't how it would actually be to have a 42 inch plasma about 12 feet away. The 50 inch Samsung at the showroom looked amazing though. Real big screen experience.
Call Panasonic on the numbers on their website - ask them and they will give you the names of all the retailers/distributors in Chennai.

If you were watching a 29" TV till now, a 42" will be a definite improvement. You also have 65" TVs all the way to I think 109". Showroom vs living room - the feel is very different (the walls in the latter close in on you!). Do not get confused with distance calculators and such. Buy whatever you can afford/are comfortable with.

With regard to the new tech - did you read that link I had posted a few pages pack? Panel manufacturing for the three major players (including Pioneer) is going to be handled by Panasonic. The technology is cheaper to manufacture and even cheaper to run (lower electricity bills) . So you will be able to get a BIGGER TV for the same price!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 23:13   #2050
BHPian
 
drbabuanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: trichy
Posts: 60
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

The brand shop will not be able to give you the prices you can get from them (FYI the Tiruppur Brand shop had given me a quote of 50k for the PV80).

pv 80 at that price is impossible in tamil nadu. are you sure about the price?
drbabuanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 23:53   #2051
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

The Tiruppur brand shop wouldn't drop below 60k for thePV80 when I called.

Here is the latest plasma business figures.. Panasonic is #1 with nearly 40% market share! Pioneer has 3-4% only! Has to be their outrageous pricing!

DisplaySearch Reports Stronger Than Expected Plasma Panel Growth as Q3?08 Shipments Rise 37% Y/Y to 4.2M Units - DisplaySearch
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 08:19   #2052
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Excellent information kb100.
Nice to see plasma regaining the share.
LCD lovers, consider this before you make your purchase decision. People can't go wrong worldwide
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 12:09   #2053
BHPian
 
VSG12777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 206
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Hmm true. Plasmas do rock. I feel LCDs are more suitable for computers while for movies / gaming etc on bigger screens, plasmas are the best.
VSG12777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 12:15   #2054
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The Tiruppur brand shop wouldn't drop below 60k for thePV80 when I called.

Here is the latest plasma business figures.. Panasonic is #1 with nearly 40% market share! Pioneer has 3-4% only! Has to be their outrageous pricing!

DisplaySearch Reports Stronger Than Expected Plasma Panel Growth as Q3?08 Shipments Rise 37% Y/Y to 4.2M Units - DisplaySearch

What is even more interesting is that 'Panasonic remained the dominant supplier of 1080p PDP plasma panels, accounting for 70% of units shipped. Samsung was the #2 1080p plasma panel supplier at 15% unit share.'
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 12:38   #2055
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

That could be because Panasonic supply the panels to others too.
They are talking about panel not TV right.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks