Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 13:10   #2926
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 337
Thanked: 262 Times
Default

Sahil> Me too had a problem with my Sharp 21 inch LCD last year.
After doing a lot of donkey work ( had to change the Main PCB/PWB) figured out that the cheapest option was to replace the set itself.
With Sharp authorised shop, they quoted 16,000. Others quoted around 12000~ 14000 with no warranty.
Ended up selling the Broken set to the repair shop for 3000 and buying a new samsung.
I will try to check if I have that dudes no. He was somewhere in Goregaon and offered door pick up and repair.
I had generalised that If you have a sony/LG/Samsung, repair shops and part availability is plenty. Brands like sharp which are the best and the pioneers have little hopes of recovery.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:42   #2927
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,137
Thanked: 1,895 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Sahil> Me too had a problem with my Sharp 21 inch LCD last year.
After doing a lot of donkey work ( had to change the Main PCB/PWB) figured out that the cheapest option was to replace the set itself.
With Sharp authorised shop, they quoted 16,000. Others quoted around 12000~ 14000 with no warranty.
Ended up selling the Broken set to the repair shop for 3000 and buying a new samsung.
I will try to check if I have that dudes no. He was somewhere in Goregaon and offered door pick up and repair.
I had generalised that If you have a sony/LG/Samsung, repair shops and part availability is plenty. Brands like sharp which are the best and the pioneers have little hopes of recovery.
Ritesh, do SMS me the numbers of both the Sharp authorized shop and the Goregaon chap. Thanks !

My LCD is 32inch so I don't think getting a new LCD is a cheaper option for me. Although I do agree Samsung,Sony,etc are safer bets in our market. Infact our 3rd LCD which is in my room is a Samsung which survived flawlessly unlike the others.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 10:52   #2928
BHPian
 
simonkayar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Thanks Vishal. Got the point about the burn in possibility of Wii. Anurag, that is a good point. I will take it and see how it displays in a showroom with the console.
simonkayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 11:58   #2929
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 393
Thanked: 39 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post
Its not that you cannot use Plasma for gaming, but you got to be very careful with keeping it on (with static images) for very long. After all Plasma are prone to Burn-in ...even though it is reduced to great extent
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Thanks Vishal. Got the point about the burn in possibility of Wii. Anurag, that is a good point. I will take it and see how it displays in a showroom with the console.
New generation plasmas from Panasonic claim to have overcome burn-in or ghosting completely. They make use of a technology called pixel shifter, which automatically keeps moving pixels around on TV without the viewer noticing anything (the process is transparent to the viewer). Models like G10 and S10 have this feature, not sure about PV80. I checked with LG and they don't claim to have any such feature.

Overall, I always felt that Plasmas are inherently more suited to fast-action gameplay than LCDs. However with latest-gen LCDs, the difference has been largely overcome, though not completely. A very good plasma will still beat a very good LCD on PQ anyday (except if you are the types who equate picture brightness with PQ).
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 12:22   #2930
BHPian
 
anurag_p80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 313
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

As stated, burn-in problems have largely been overcome in most new-gen plasmas. Some TIR will be there though, whether it be a Pana or a LG.

@greenhorn: Your information is not completely accurate. The latest LG plasmas come with a feature called "Pixel Orbiter" which is essentially the same as shifter in Pana. Also, some more tools are available for getting rid of TIR, called WhiteWash, and one more (dont quite remember the name). I for one, have not faced any burn-in issues yet with the LG, fingers crossed.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:35   #2931
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

LG India launches India's 1st Full LED LCD TV - LH90 Series

Saw the ad in today's newspaper about it. Here are some details -

Full LED panel (not edge-lit), 200 Hz TruMotion, 50,00,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio, 1 ms response time, Bluetooth enabled, IPS advanced LCD panel.

Festive Price : 42" - Rs. 82,000
47" - Rs. 97,000
+ HDMI DVD Player with 5.1ch and USB + 50 Blockbuster Movie Pack free.

There no info about this series on official LG india website so far. I tried google to get more info/review about it and been directed to some international sites which mentions that LG LH90 series available there in 55"/47"/42", 240Hz Trumotion, World's first THX-certified display. Rest of the info there is more or less same.

Thing to watch out in Indian LH90 will be for the THX certification.

Please share your views, info, review here about LG LH90 LED LCD TV.
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:38   #2932
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
New generation plasmas from Panasonic claim to have overcome burn-in or ghosting completely. They make use of a technology called pixel shifter, which automatically keeps moving pixels around on TV without the viewer noticing anything (the process is transparent to the viewer). Models like G10 and S10 have this feature, not sure about PV80. I checked with LG and they don't claim to have any such feature.

Overall, I always felt that Plasmas are inherently more suited to fast-action gameplay than LCDs. However with latest-gen LCDs, the difference has been largely overcome, though not completely. A very good plasma will still beat a very good LCD on PQ anyday (except if you are the types who equate picture brightness with PQ).
I think even the last 2-3 years plasmas had this capability of preventing burn-in. In fact, burn in is used by the LCD people to promote LCD vs plasma. This is no longer an issue at all or was not perhaps for more than 2-4 years perhaps. My Pioneer 428 has set this feature as factory default, and one can also deactivate it.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 16:13   #2933
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I think even the last 2-3 years plasmas had this capability of preventing burn-in. In fact, burn in is used by the LCD people to promote LCD vs plasma. This is no longer an issue at all or was not perhaps for more than 2-4 years perhaps. My Pioneer 428 has set this feature as factory default, and one can also deactivate it.
now why would someone want to deactivate the burn-in prevention feature
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 18:28   #2934
BHPian
 
donzerus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 48
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
now why would someone want to deactivate the burn-in prevention feature
Probably because this would reduce the life of the panel.
donzerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 21:53   #2935
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I've almost settled for a 42G10 Plasma after getting inputs from this thread. Got a quote of 62k from a Panasonic brand shop. It was placed next to a 42S10 and a PV80. Could see a huge difference, plus it looks better with a smaller smaller frame area.
kkndka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 23:57   #2936
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

For those still confused as to why everyone goes gaga over plasma and not lcd, here is a good article
LCD or Plasma HDTVs: Which to Choose? - by Digital Trends 2009 09/21
also if you are confused by the new wafer thin so called LED TVs, read this article - they are actually edge lit LED LCDs no better than regular LCDs and nowhere close to plasmas. True LED-backlit LCDs (full array) are as good as plasmas when it comes to blacks but are still not vfm
LED Behind the LCD: Understanding LED-Backlit HDTVs - by Digital Trends 2009 09/21

I would still go for a plasma and recommend the same to who-ever asks me, unless ofcourse you are looking for something below 42" (no plasmas only lcds below 42") or have a need for form over function (edgelit led lcds) or oodles of money to get both form and function (backlit led lcds)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:40   #2937
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Friends, Pls recommend the best TV in terms of VFM, with equally good in quality & performance. I am looking (Shortlisted) a Panasonic 32 " LCD TV with a viewing distance of about 5ft - 6 ft - 7ft max.

Pls let me know if this is a good one, I have got a deal for 32K last price for the Panasonic VIERA TX-L32X11 without any free-bees

2nd Option:
Is to go for a 42" Plasma Panasonic (VIERA TH-P42C10D) as the PV80D is not in stock & can give me the display set. I haven't got the best prices on these yet, so if you throw some light on the best price would also appreciate.

PS: If I end up buying an 32" LCD, then I would have about 15K with me for the home theater, I know I wont get a good one at this price, however I would like to build it component wise, if you could suggest me the best way to use this 15K is also appreciated.

Cheers, Nitin
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:11   #2938
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Default the end of the road for Plasma?

have a look at the article below. Looks like there are less and less companies willing to investing money for plasma tv's ( this is from a blog and the opinions and credentials of the writer have not been verified by yours truly):

As the technology fades, plasma TVs see huge discounts : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Lower Price Tag for Plasma TVs Comes at Price - WSJ.com

Last edited by kpbhatt : 23rd September 2009 at 13:19. Reason: added a link for additional information.
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:58   #2939
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Thanks kpBhatt for the links, I don't know why but there seems to be this concern to me about burning of pixels & power hungry in the Plasma TV's

Anyways I have received the quote as 44K the best he can do for VIERA TH-P42C10D, appreciate if you let me know if this is the best I can get or is there something that I can still bargain him for...
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:35   #2940
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
I don't know why but there seems to be this concern to me about burning of pixels & power hungry in the Plasma TV's

Anyways I have received the quote as 44K the best he can do for VIERA TH-P42C10D, appreciate if you let me know if this is the best I can get or is there something that I can still bargain him for...
did you read my links posted above on lcd vs plasma - that clearly explains how plasmas prevent burn-in

howcome pv80d is not in stock in all of bangy i am not very sure of the c10d, but it looks like it is more newer than the pv80d - it has the 600hz drive
VIERA Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India
i would suggest you check what c10d really costs from another store and then see if its worth taking a showroom piece - I would never buy a showroom piece, especially a plasma tv which may have been abused by keeping on for hours every day!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks