Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 10:25   #3811
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,228
Thanked: 1,207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys,

Any reviews about the 50" Plasma from LG---the model is LG 60 PK550 Plasma?
My colleague wants to buy one as I believe it is priced around 60 K. I believe it is Full HD, and if that is the case, the price seems very attractive.
Bump, bump-----anybody has any info on the above query?

Thanks
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 12:58   #3812
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
@nairrk: by all accounts, the c650 is supposed to be a good option to go with. The price of Rs.109,900 that you have mentioned seems to be the list price on the samsung website. What is the real world price that is being quoted in stores?

Even I have zeroed in on the c650 but am still considering the LG 47LH90 if it is available anywhere.
+

I have checked with my nearby shop who quoted me Rs.84,500/- for
the 46c650 model(a discount of Rs.24,500??)
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 14:42   #3813
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Bump, bump-----anybody has any info on the above query?

Thanks
the PK550 (both 50 and 60 inchers) have pretty good reviews. Though panasonic V20 is supposed to be superior, however LG hits the sweet spot in terms of overall VFM and reasonabley efficient after sales service.

The negatives that I have heard are:

1. one person heard some buzzing noise in a demo piece at a showroom but not replicated anywhere else.
2. There is more glare compared to LCD TVs in a bright room

Otherwise its supposed to be a v good choice.

Check out the reviews and more info on hifivision.com if you can.

However, I believe the price that you mentioned is for the 50 inch version. The 60 inch version is around 1.3 lacs

Last edited by shreeps : 30th July 2010 at 14:46.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 14:43   #3814
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+

I have checked with my nearby shop who quoted me Rs.84,500/- for
the 46c650 model(a discount of Rs.24,500??)
Exactly - theres always a difference of aroun Rs. 20k between whats on the samsung website and the actual on street prices.

Mods: Apologies for the back to back posts.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 15:56   #3815
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Thumbs down Huge Disadvantage Of Led Tv Sets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hmmm that's an interesting observation. Are you by any chance confusing sharper(almost unnaturally sharp)
I think I know what you mean by unnaturally sharp images. I was looking to buy a Samsung 46" led. The reasoning behind it was that it's the latest technology, sharper picture, energy efficient etc! However, a friend ended up buying the same before I did. We watched a couple of movies(DVD) on the new TV. During the movie I noticed that the image was extra sharp and bright. In fact it was so bright that it looked like it was shot through a camcorder. One of the movies was The Imaginarium of Dr.Parnassus which is a fantasy movie. The entire atmosphere was destroyed and the movie looked like it was shot with a cheap camcorder much like a wedding video or birthday party home video. This was a big let down and I decided not to buy the Samsung led. I got a demo of an LG led set at Croma and it had the same problem. Then I researched online and realised that it's a common problem with the new led/lcd tv's and it's called the Soap Opera effect!

The Soap Opera effect is a side effect caused by the manufacturers' attempts to enhance the picture quality to rival images rendered by plasma. However, this ends up making the picture look artificially hyper-real. The result is that movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings appear as if they were made by the team of The Bold and the Beautiful!

You can raed more about it here;
Help Key: Why 120Hz looks “weird”

I am now considering a plasma which was at the bottom of my list earlier. I need to buy something which is between 46"-55" and can play movies from my Iomega external hard drive (500Gb). If it can do so wirelessly then that's even better. Budget is upto 1L. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 30th July 2010 at 15:57.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 17:39   #3816
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I am now considering a plasma which was at the bottom of my list earlier. I need to buy something which is between 46"-55" and can play movies from my Iomega external hard drive (500Gb). If it can do so wirelessly then that's even better. Budget is upto 1L. Any suggestions?
Try:
LG 50PK550
LG60PK550 (may be over your budget)
Samsung 50C550
Panasonic 50V20 (may be over your budget).
EVen I am in the same boat. I decided against the edge lit LEDs and if no back lit LED LCD Tvs with local dimming are available, I might just go in for a plasma (and hope I dont get the dreaded burn in).

Last edited by shreeps : 30th July 2010 at 17:43.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 17:49   #3817
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Try:
LG 50PK550
LG60PK550 (may be over your budget)
Samsung 50C550
Panasonic 50V20 (may be over your budget).
EVen I am in the same boat. I decided against the edge lit LEDs and if no back lit LED LCD Tvs with local dimming are available, I might just go in for a plasma (and hope I dont get the dreaded burn in).
I checked the PK 550 (or was it the PK 650) and it looked good. The image was smoother (no juddering) as compared to the Lcd and Led. It didn't have the soap opera effect and the picture was much softer (less pixellation).

However, the brightness was about 15-20% lower than the lcd and there was a lot of reflection. Also I can't use it as a computer monitor nor stream movies wirelessly through my pc (DLNA). I so badly want to go for the LED/LCD but honestly the image quality sucks on those! A 15k CRT has better image than these expensive behemoths. No choice left but plasma!
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 18:11   #3818
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,228
Thanked: 1,207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
the PK550 (both 50 and 60 inchers) have pretty good reviews. Though panasonic V20 is supposed to be superior, however LG hits the sweet spot in terms of overall VFM and reasonabley efficient after sales service.

The negatives that I have heard are:

1. one person heard some buzzing noise in a demo piece at a showroom but not replicated anywhere else.
2. There is more glare compared to LCD TVs in a bright room

Otherwise its supposed to be a v good choice.

Check out the reviews and more info on hifivision.com if you can.

However, I believe the price that you mentioned is for the 50 inch version. The 60 inch version is around 1.3 lacs
Thanks a ton! Yes, it is a 50" Plasma---could be a typo.

But don't all Plasmas produce more glare than LCDs?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 18:27   #3819
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Try:
LG 50PK550
LG60PK550 (may be over your budget)
Samsung 50C550
Panasonic 50V20 (may be over your budget)
Panasonic 50V20 is ruled out because it suffers from the Soap Opera effect which I hate. (source: AVForums.com - Panasonic V20 (TX-P50V20B) Review)
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 22:34   #3820
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,197
Thanked: 1,131 Times
Default

You can always disable 100Hz if you want - no big deal.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:47   #3821
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I checked the PK 550 (or was it the PK 650) and it looked good. The image was smoother (no juddering) as compared to the Lcd and Led. It didn't have the soap opera effect and the picture was much softer (less pixellation).

However, the brightness was about 15-20% lower than the lcd and there was a lot of reflection. Also I can't use it as a computer monitor nor stream movies wirelessly through my pc (DLNA). I so badly want to go for the LED/LCD but honestly the image quality sucks on those! A 15k CRT has better image than these expensive behemoths. No choice left but plasma!
What was the price quoted? It will be great if you can share the info on that.
The brightness of a plasma is definitely lesser than an LCD/LED. However its more pronounced in brightly lit showrooms where it appears dull next to the flashy LDC/LEDs. In a regular living room with blinds/curtains, it should be very good (after all even a CRT has a glass screen and we have lived with those for so long without complaining about the glare). Ask the salesperson to turn off some of the lights and see how it looks. In fact Plasmas are supposed to have better PQ than most LCD/LEDs.

I wouldnt recommend using a plasma as a computer screen. You have much higher chances of burn in (image retention) and also it wont look as good as an LCD. I'd recommend going in for a plasma for your movie needs and use the money saved (compared to a similar sized LED LCD that would have cost you lots more) to buy a 20" LCD for your computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks a ton! Yes, it is a 50" Plasma---could be a typo.

But don't all Plasmas produce more glare than LCDs?
Nope. IMHO plasmas produce less glare than LCDs/LEDs. The problem with them is that since they have a glass screen, they are much more reflective than the LCD/LEDs. Hence you have to take care of the ambient lighting in the area where you are going to place the TV.
On second thoughts, your statement could be true - there could be glare - but this glare is due to the surrounding lights not from the picture itself.

Last edited by shreeps : 2nd August 2010 at 14:54.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:52   #3822
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 473
Thanked: 126 Times
Default 42" plasma?

Most of the plasmas mentioned on this thread which have full HD are lg PK 550/650 or Panasonic V20.

I am looking for a 42" and full HD plasma.

Do we have any models other than Panasonic V20 available?

Plasma enthusiasts please.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:02   #3823
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You can always disable 100Hz if you want - no big deal.
Wouldn't that lead to a jerky/juddery picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
What was the price quoted? It will be great if you can share the info on that.
I was quoted 62k for 50PK550 and 140K for the 60PK950. I also noticed the 60PK550 on LG's website and am yet to receive a quote.

Somehow 60" seems more appealing to me. My viewing distance is about 14ft. Would a 60 inch plasma be overkill for my room?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 2nd August 2010 at 16:13.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:05   #3824
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Also I can't use it as a computer monitor nor stream movies wirelessly through my pc (DLNA).
I was doing some r&d on the net and saw somewhere that the Samsung C550 does have DLNA. Its around 10-11K more expensive than the LG ... but thats your call.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:18   #3825
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I was doing some r&d on the net and saw somewhere that the Samsung C550 does have DLNA. Its around 10-11K more expensive than the LG ... but thats your call.
I read somewhere that some C550 sets have a buzzing sound problem. I have shortlisted the PK550. I'm still waiting for a quotation on the 60". The 50" seems to be great value for money.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks