Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th October 2010, 01:51   #4066
Senior - BHPian

I got a quote for Samsung LA40C630 40" @ Rs.55500/- (With Airtel HD DTH Box). Can we get even cheaper?

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 14:10   #4067
BHPian

Default Pana X20 reflection

I am really tempted to go with the Pana X20D from from a VFM perspective. However, the reflective screen bothers me since i have a flourescent lamp opposite the tv wall.

So people using the X20, how do you find the reflection in it? When compared to the CRT, it is worse? My BIL has a PV80 and i feel the reflection in X20 is more than the PV8. Since the showrooms are brightly lit, it reflections sometime dominate the picture. Is the samsung C450 better in this regard?

I dont want to buy it and regret later. Any feedback appreciated.
m8002? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 16:33   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I got a quote for Samsung LA40C630 40" @ Rs.55500/- (With Airtel HD DTH Box). Can we get even cheaper?

Cheers!

Vinu
I think it is a good price. The Samsung employees get it at 53950 so if you are non-Samsung, i feel it is a good deal.
nayyar.rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 23:36   #4069
Senior - BHPian

Festive offer purchase. I bought LG 32LE7500 for 54500. It is Full Hd,true motion,borderless,wireless ready and netscafe.The display is great. Still I am exploring the facilities.Blue tooth works well.USB movie nand songs are fine.Clarity is great.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 00:32   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Thrown between Samsung 40C630 LCD and Panasonic 42V20 plasma. Samsung cost Rs.56,500/- and Panny costs Rs.64,500/- in Hyd. HD pic quality looks too good in Plasma and Samsung's brightness is at little high (Showroom mode?).

I felt the Set top box broadcast looked more soft in Panasonic and read similar feedback on the net about SD format performance on the plasma (i.e. people were not satisfied with SD performance).

The Panasonic is coming with 3 years warranty against 1 year warranty for Samsung.

My viewing is going to be Tata Sky (maybe i will upgrade to HD anyway but there are only fewer channels right now), SD DVDs and downloaded 1080i Topgear videos. 1 - 2 years own the line I may go for Blueray.

I have 8 - 10ft. viewing distance.

Please help me decide the TV between these two.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:23   #4071
Senior - BHPian

Can any Samsung LA40C630 40" LCD owner confirm what all video formats it supports from the USB. It is not mentioned anywhere. It simply says all format supported?

Can we plug external USB HDD to USB 1 and what is the maximum capacity supported?

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:43   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Thrown between Samsung 40C630 LCD and Panasonic 42V20 plasma. Samsung cost Rs.56,500/- and Panny costs Rs.64,500/- in Hyd. HD pic quality looks too good in Plasma and Samsung's brightness is at little high (Showroom mode?).

I felt the Set top box broadcast looked more soft in Panasonic and read similar feedback on the net about SD format performance on the plasma (i.e. people were not satisfied with SD performance).

The Panasonic is coming with 3 years warranty against 1 year warranty for Samsung.

My viewing is going to be Tata Sky (maybe i will upgrade to HD anyway but there are only fewer channels right now), SD DVDs and downloaded 1080i Topgear videos. 1 - 2 years own the line I may go for Blueray.

I have 8 - 10ft. viewing distance.

Please help me decide the TV between these two.
Satish, I suggest you go for Panasonic V series. Two colleagues of a pal of mine are buying it for 62 K.

Panasonic Plasmas are the best bet now, if you care to read the previous pages. You are also getting a 42" screen compared to a 40" one on the Samsung LCD. A 3-year warranty also gives you peace of mind.

By default, LCD screens offer more brightness, but it is the plamas that offer better contrast and black reproduction. Fast-moving action scenes are best seen on Plasmas as they don't suffer from image blur.

The only advantate of an LCD is savings on power consumption.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:59   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Venu
Can you please post from where your friends are getting the Plasma for 62K? The lesser the difference between both the TVs, the more easier to get the approval from wife.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:45   #4074
BHPian

m8002
i got both pv8 and x20d.
pv8 has matt finish whereas both pv80 and x20d come with a gloss finish.
the gloss finish reflects more when compared to matt finish.
i have adjusted to live with the reflection of the glass.
but for this,you will never regret for buying a plasma.
drbabuanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 22:45   #4075
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
That is not true!
The human retina can resolve upto 477 pixels per inch on an object held 12 inches away.

The human eye has an angular resolution of 50 cycles per degree.

What does 50 cycles per degree mean?
It means 50 alternating light and dark bands perpendicular to the line of sight.

Let's do some computations.
12 inches from the eye, a line, one-inch across subtends an angle of
= 2 * arctan (0.5/12). That is 4.772 degrees.

On this one-inch line, the human retina can distinguish up to 50 alternating light and dark bands.

4.772 * 50 is 238.59 cycles or 477.2 pixels,
not 300 as erroneously claimed by Steve Jobs' misleading marketing statement.

So the real “retina display” (of the future) would have a pixel resolution of better than 477 pixels per inch at 12 inches from the eye.
This means that the inter-pixel separation has to be 53.228 microns.

The Apple iPhone4 has an inter-pixel separation of 77.9 microns.
Failing to meet the 53.228 micron requirement of a real retina display, Apple's so-called "retina display"
is not at all a real retina beater -- although a very good one!

By way of comparison, a Nokia N8's display is 640x360 pixels corresponding to a 3.5" diagonal.
So 3.05" x 1.72". The pixel density is roughly 209 pixels per inch.
i.e the inter-pixel separation is 121 microns

The Nokia N8's display is only 64% as sharp as an iPhone4

To make these pixels appear indistinguishable from one another, the iPhone 4 has to be held 18" away from the eye, still not 12" away as wished by Steve Jobs.

For comparison, the Nokia N8 phone has to be held 2' 3" away from the eye. Not so bad, is it?

Ram
We talked about the extreme resolutions of modern smart phones, just 19 days ago.

Now here's an update:

Ortustech a JV between Casio and Toppan printing, has developed the world's smallest full HD display at 4.8 inches.

The company has invented, what they call, HAST (Hyper Amorphous Silicon TFT) microfabrication tech.
The panel has a resolution of 1,920 × 1,080 dots.

Name:  OrtusTechworldsmallestfullHD.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  45.3 KB

Ortustech has managed to squeeze in 458 pixel per inch,
Compare with the iPhone 4's infamous Retina display with 326 pixels per inch.

Ortustech's display has a viewing angle of 160 degrees and supports 16,777,216 colors.

But wait! There's more.
With further advances in HAST technology, they have successfully developed a 2" QHD (960 x RGB x 540) display with 546 pixels per inch !!!

That's the highest definition in the industry and it truly beats the human retina's resolution of upto 477 pixels per inch on an object held 12 inches away. i.e. an angular resolution of 50 cycles per degree.

TECHNOLOGY?ORTUS TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

Welcome to the rapidly changing face of computing !

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 09:56   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Venu
Can you please post from where your friends are getting the Plasma for 62K? The lesser the difference between both the TVs, the more easier to get the approval from wife.
Satish,
Sorry for the delay---it took some time for me to gather info. I believe 62K was quoted by Bajaj Electronics at Panjagutta, under exchange for the 42" Pana V series.

But I came to know that they chose to buy the 50" LG full HD. The message I got reads:-
"This is what my colleague got as a deal on buying LG plasma!....

Bought the TV from Bajaj Electronics ( only this shop I found having stock of big size TVs). It cost me 61K under old TV exchange. Additionally they have given me Airtel HD + Unistab plasma Stabilizer + 320 GB External Hard Disk Drive + Lucky Draw coupons…"

Mighty tempting, eh? A 50" full HD Plasma from LG for a price cheaper than a 42" plasma from Panasonic, that too with so many freebies.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 10:24   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Default Sony KDL-52NX800

Any one has bought this model from Sony
KDL-52NX800 : NX800 Series : BRAVIA LCD TV : Sony India

It's very costly in India,But i have to check it in malaysia or S"pore or Arab countries.

Whether this product is worth for the money?

need your suggestion guys.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 12:49   #4078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
We had bought a Sony Brava S Series 26" LCD about 18 months back. Last week, while watching a match suddenly picture went out. We took it to the Sony authorized service center where we were informed that the main panel had conked off. Since we are out of warranty, the replacement cost is quoted ~12K.
Update: Took up this matter with the Sony India customer care. Surprise, got a favorable reply from them on a free replacement for the main panel. However, there they asked us to bear the cost of IC and service charges.

I have asked them to consider replacing the IC as well. Will post another update when this matter gets settled.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 13:39   #4079
Senior - BHPian

1. What does the IC cost?

2. Had read somewhere that Sony does not actually manufacture the LCD panels.

3. Of late, have been seeing good ads (in sense of good specifications) for Sony products; but that is about the first time I am feeling about anything Sony in close to 20 years.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 14:49   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Satish,
Sorry for the delay---it took some time for me to gather info. I believe 62K was quoted by Bajaj Electronics at Panjagutta, under exchange for the 42" Pana V series.

But I came to know that they chose to buy the 50" LG full HD. The message I got reads:-
"This is what my colleague got as a deal on buying LG plasma!....

Bought the TV from Bajaj Electronics ( only this shop I found having stock of big size TVs). It cost me 61K under old TV exchange. Additionally they have given me Airtel HD + Unistab plasma Stabilizer + 320 GB External Hard Disk Drive + Lucky Draw coupons…"

Mighty tempting, eh? A 50" full HD Plasma from LG for a price cheaper than a 42" plasma from Panasonic, that too with so many freebies.
Venu...Thank you very much for the info. The offer is very tempting, especially HDD. My viewing dist. is not more than 10ft. I already use Tata Sky and recently paid my annual subscription. Also i don't have an old tv to exchange. Currently i use a Benq 22" LCD TV + Monitor as tv. Once i get a new tv, it becomes a fullt time monitor.

Through a friend i got a quote from Panasonic distributor and he offered 42V20 for 62.5K. I think i will take this offer.

It is not easy to let go 3 years warranty on Panasonic. My parents 32" Samsung LCD gave up just out of 1 year warranty and the service center quoted 25K to replace a board. But we got a free replacement that too of a higher series through a cousin who owns Samsung ASC in Vizag.