Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th October 2010, 09:58   #4096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. What does the IC cost?

2. Had read somewhere that Sony does not actually manufacture the LCD panels.
The IC costs around Rs1800. Service charges comes around Rs650. Got another update from Sony pointing that it was the IC that failed initially due to overheating. The main panel failed as result of this.

Yet to hear from them on the reason behind IC overheating.

Had read several reviews where it is stated the Sony does not manufacture the LCD TV components, rather assembles them and sells using their brand image.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:28   #4097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
The IC costs around Rs1800. Service charges comes around Rs650. Got another update from Sony pointing that it was the IC that failed initially due to overheating. The main panel failed as result of this.

Yet to hear from them on the reason behind IC overheating.
Well the Oracle has spoken. Thou shall watch Sony only in an Air conditioned Environment!
On a more serious note, overheated IC in a TV? Has to be a design and/or manufacturing defect. Try to get the reason for overheating and press for a free replacement and labour for every thing. Another reason to stay away from current Sony TV's.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 13:18   #4098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
X20 is 2010 model and S10 is 2009.
They both are 42 inches and you want 32 inches.
Dont go for sony as their A.s.s is pathetic.

Best bet is samsung or panasonic lcd. Also check philips lcds as some of them are really good.
Urge to invest in one time has brought into contention X20 and S10 into picture. I have raised the budget to 40k(+-2k).
How is plasma’s performance with used as a PC monitor, Games etc?
Phillips has sold their Color TV business to Videocon, that’s what I have read.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 15:18   #4099
Senior - BHPian

I just saw the new LG 42'' Plasma - Model Number 42PJ350 - I think its a razor finish, very slim and has a glass top. So easier to clean.

Its available for about 40k.

Has anyone bought it ? I want to mainly watch TATA SKY and Cee Beebies and watch avi, mkv files from my HDD with a wireless headphone.

See attached photo.Name:  42PJ350R.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  13.1 KB
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 15:43   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Rather than PJ350 go for PJ560. Its better and money wise not much difference.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 15:54   #4101
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2010 at 18:46.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 28th October 2010, 00:36   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Hello. A friend of mine is getting me the LG 32LF20 32" for a sweet price of 23K. I am sure this price is great for a FullHD television. But want to know if anyone has used this model - performance details etc. Also, some sites mention it has a USB port, others don't mention it. Any help appreciated.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 14:51   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
On a more serious note, overheated IC in a TV? Has to be a design and/or manufacturing defect. Try to get the reason for overheating and press for a free replacement and labour for every thing.
Could not get a convincing reason for IC over heating. Spoke to the Sony service engineer and came to know that IC could have failed due to over heating when kept in a closed wall unit without sufficient air circulation.

The second reason for a IC failure could be voltage fluctuation. The TV is connected using a voltage stabilizer. The service engineer told me that the voltage stabilizer will still pass the high voltage fluctuation to TV before cutting off. I dont understand this logic. If so, this renders the stabilizer useless.

At the end, I agreed to pay the IC cost and get the main panel replaced free.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 15:45   #4104
BHPian

Need some urgent help!

Have decided to buy the Pana Plasma 42V20 - quoted 70k final cost, but have a few queries;
1) How much power consumption takes place in a Plasma (average bill variance compared to a LCD)
2) The heating of the panel and the warranty of 3 years - does this mean i will have a problem after 3 years
3) What is best prize that I should negotiate upon
4) The contrast issue and mentioned in previous posts – what precautions should I take to avoid any panel burn / logo imprint issues

Await your prompt response.
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 20:28   #4105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Thanks DJKHER

Got my BIL to check the Plasma - it is priced at Rs.57 or 58k, but is the older version.

As mentioned - we saw a new version (Pana Plasma) at Hypercity and the best price was Rs.72500/- but the sales guy said he will get it down to about 70k.

We were also told that it was the latest panel from Pana.....etc. etc. I will confirm more details to you tomorrow on the same

Cheers
COuld you elaborate on the exact differences ?(Panel number etc ?)

Quote:
Need some urgent help!

Have decided to buy the Pana Plasma 42V20 - quoted 70k final cost, but have a few queries;
1) How much power consumption takes place in a Plasma (average bill variance compared to a LCD)
2) The heating of the panel and the warranty of 3 years - does this mean i will have a problem after 3 years
4) The contrast issue and mentioned in previous posts – what precautions should I take to avoid any panel burn / logo imprint issues

1) Power consumption for V20 is 350W and for a typical 42" LCD is 150-180W. So its double.
2) The Panel does heat up. But that matters only if you are sitting close to the panel. No one can say anything definite about electronics. Can fail anytime. But i havnt read about too many problems atleast with this particular model. and 3 years is lot so enjoy it for 3 years rather than worrying about the period after that which no manufacturer can guarantee.
3) No idea about the pricing for this particular variant(supposedly new panel that you are getting)
4) Plasma technology has evolved quite a lot and these problems or not as worrisome as they were before. All the plasmas have some or other built in techniques of preventing burn-in. But to be on safer side and for your peace of mind , you can 'run in' the plasma with low contrast and brightness setting for say 100 Hrs.
(I tried all the run in thing for a couple of days(mayb 15-20 hrs in total). and i now run it at normal settings and can see no signs of 'burn in')
djkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 20:37   #4106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some urgent help!

I have heard people getting it for 63-65k range, specially so during this festive season. Bargain hard.

Power consumption depends on the average time usage. Its nothing that should bother you much for a normal 3-4 hr viewing time everyday.

Are you planning to negotiate the priZe too? Negotiate for the first prize if you can!

There is a burning time of I think 1000hrs. There are some dos and donts. You can ask the dealer. Most important of then, no static pictures for long durations.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 21:31   #4107
BHPian

Went to market to check the various alternatives I have shortlisted.First, visited Panasonic brand store 32X15 & S10 (29.5k,33k),42X20D(38.5k).X20D was clear leader in terms of picture quality, checked it with SD transmission(News Channel and Text scroll) and Blue-ray as well. Benetton sunglases and watch as a gift.

Samsung:-C650(45k) & C630(40k), didn't like PQ(in comparison to Panasonic) but the USB and Dnet is added plus both are offering,Both are 32".Samsung is offering Airtel DTH box.

Suggestions! any other model in this range worth considering?What about prices quoted?
Old 28th October 2010, 21:58   #4108
BHPian

Somebody in Delhi got a 42X20D for 33K in Delhi. The price is awesome. See whether you can procure it from Delhi.

See this:
Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Get a media player later on for playing various files.

Last edited by archat68 : 28th October 2010 at 21:59.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 22:07   #4109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Somebody in Delhi got a 42X20D for 33K in Delhi. The price is awesome. See whether you can procure it from Delhi.

See this:
Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

He is asking about 42V20 and NOT 42X20D. These models are different. 63-65k for V model and what you quoted for XD model is fine.

http://www.panasonic.co.in/web/produ...av/tv/plasmatv

Last edited by TaureanBull : 28th October 2010 at 22:09.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 22:46   #4110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post

See this:
Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

33K is a steal, I can drive down to Delhi and get it from there, but I don't know from where?Any info regarding that?Contact no of dealer?