Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:48   #4441
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:35   #4442
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 244
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Please provide source of this article.
This was found on CNET Reviews but came on several other review websites simultaneously. here is the link:

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 10:04   #4443
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 26 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
This was found on CNET Reviews but came on several other review websites simultaneously. here is the link:

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews
Here is another one from The Hindu
The Hindu : Metro Plus Madurai / Wired In : Buying a new television set?

Quoting from the article.

'Most TVs sold in the market as LED TVs are only LCD TVs that are backlit by Light-Emitting Diodes. LG claims to have the only true Full LED TV (costs about Rs. 1 lakh) and salesmen will demonstrate how the image never changes colour or shade no matter what angle you view it from compared to the ever changing shade of LCD TVs as you walk to view it from a different angle. But here's a question: How many of us walk around watching TV?'
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 10:15   #4444
BHPian
 
GearOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 31
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post

'Most TVs sold in the market as LED TVs are only LCD TVs that are backlit by Light-Emitting Diodes. LG claims to have the only true Full LED TV (costs about Rs. 1 lakh) and salesmen will demonstrate how the image never changes colour or shade no matter what angle you view it from compared to the ever changing shade of LCD TVs as you walk to view it from a different angle. But here's a question: How many of us walk around watching TV?'
LG's claim of Full LED TV is just plain hogwash.Its simply not possible currently to have complete TV made of only LED's and that to for only a Lakh.

They are just Full Array LED's which are used for backlighting a normal LCD TV.
GearOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:24   #4445
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,134
Thanked: 244 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
That's great saving.

But, will they do free home delivery? It would be hassle to transport a big home appliance to Bangalore. Also, the transport cost will nullify the saving.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:32   #4446
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Has anyone tried connecting their LCD, LED or Plasma to the internet. I could not find a direct Lan socket, however I know its possible to connect to a wifi network, but how? I have a Sony 32" EX500.

Sony has a wifi adapter (Wireless LAN Accessories : TV & Projector Accessories : Sony India) which costs Rs.4700/-. TV does not recognize my Linksys wifi adapter. Is there an alternative? How are Samsungs, LGs, etc. being connected?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:46   #4447
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

If LAN port is not available, there are only two options:

1. Buy WiFi adapter from Sony
2. Buy A Blu ray player that has net connectivity + media player in addition to blu ray. This would enable net on any TV. Cost 12k
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 22:35   #4448
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If LAN port is not available, there are only two options:

1. Buy WiFi adapter from Sony
2. Buy A Blu ray player that has net connectivity + media player in addition to blu ray. This would enable net on any TV. Cost 12k
Hmmm both not very financially viable. In that case, I would prefer carrying on with my current setup. Connect a wifi enabled Laptop to LCD via HDMI. Connect a wireless keyboard with trackpad to the laptop and browse the net.

Any reason why the Sony wifi adapter is priced so high?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 22:36   #4449
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
That's great saving.
But, will they do free home delivery? It would be hassle to transport a big home appliance to Bangalore. Also, the transport cost will nullify the saving.
It is okay if you have your own vehicle.
It is 30km to the shop from my home. I transported it in my car. So the transportation cost is ~ Rs.240(to and fro considering Rs.4per km petrol cost). Still it is worth because the price difference was ~4000 on TV and 2500 on home theater. So I could save Rs.6260 after reducing the transportation cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Has anyone tried connecting their LCD, LED or Plasma to the internet. I could not find a direct Lan socket, however I know its possible to connect to a wifi network, but how? I have a Sony 32" EX500.
Sony has a wifi adapter (Wireless LAN Accessories : TV & Projector Accessories : Sony India) which costs Rs.4700/-. TV does not recognize my Linksys wifi adapter. Is there an alternative? How are Samsungs, LGs, etc. being connected?
MaSh
I am using USB wi-fi adaptor with my LG 32LE5500 LED TV.
It connects easily with my home wi-fi router. I am using it mainly for youtube videos. Apart from youtube, LG TV has got google maps, facebook, twitter, picasa, accuweather, viewster, mlb.tv, vtuner, accedo, aljazeera in the NetCast menu. The connection procedure is only first time setting of Ip address and password entry, later on it connects very easily.

Another feature available with wi-fi adaptor is DLNA. We can access the computer HDD folder (folders shared using "Nero media home" software) wirelessly using the TV.

I got it thru ebay.in (global easy buy) for Rs.2900.
LG AN-WF100 TV Accessories - Wi-Fi Dongle - LG Electronics Australia
After getting this I increased my broadband speed to 2mbps for getting uninterrupted streaming videos.

IMHO Sony EX500 does not support DLNA and wireless internet/streaming video. (please check your user manual and confirm)
Sony models like EX710 supports this wi-fi adapter.
Check for "wireless-lan ready" and "DLNA" feature in your TV specifications. The adapter works only with the supported models. Even we cannot use the Sony wi-fi dongle in Samsung or LG or vice-versa.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 09:58   #4450
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
how much did you pay for the LED tv?
how is the sound quality
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 10:48   #4451
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 73
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I bought yesterday Samsung series 4, 32 inches for 23000/- from the grey market.
uneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 11:01   #4452
BHPian
 
mac187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 305 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
Where in Hosur did you buy the TV? I am looking to buy one shortly. Please share the details of the place/ shop. Hope there is no problem with the warranty!
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:25   #4453
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
I bought yesterday Samsung series 4, 32 inches for 23000/- from the grey market.
Kindly tell the place from where you got it and model number also.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 14:21   #4454
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
IMHO Sony EX500 does not support DLNA and wireless internet/streaming video. (please check your user manual and confirm)
Sony models like EX710 supports this wi-fi adapter.
Check for "wireless-lan ready" and "DLNA" feature in your TV specifications. The adapter works only with the supported models. Even we cannot use the Sony wi-fi dongle in Samsung or LG or vice-versa.
I guess you are correct, EX500 does not support this device. Another thing to be considered while buying an LCD. This never struck me when I was looking for an LCD.

Compatible Sony products: UWA-BR100 | Wireless Adapter | Sony | Sony Style USA

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 17:23   #4455
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 73
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Kindly tell the place from where you got it and model number also.
I have bought this from Gaffar Market.
Model No. is la32c450e1
uneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks