Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 00:24   #4816
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Recently saw clearance sale in ezone for onida lcd 42'' costs 28k
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 00:56   #4817
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,426
Thanked: 6,363 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys need a vote on the following:
1. Sony vs Samsung
2. 51' Plasma vs 46' LED. The price difference as quoted to me is almost 70k. And I need to buy two of these.
For a display item, Sony is the BEST is what I believe. The downside is Sony is very very expensive, lesser on features etc.

I am sure Samsung is quite good though a notch below Sony, will have a good price and a good set of features.

So if you are looking at VFM purchase, it has to be Samsung.

Barring above brands, I found LG to be close to Samsung and guess "Sharp" is a decent product!

Disclaimer:: Based on my observations in the shops. I dont own an LCD / Plasma TV.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2011 at 00:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 10:10   #4818
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,430
Thanked: 3,521 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For a display item, Sony is the BEST is what I believe. The downside is Sony is very very expensive, lesser on features etc.

I am sure Samsung is quite good though a notch below Sony, will have a good price and a good set of features.
My dad has been a loyal Sony fan all these years and our experience with there TVs has been excellent. But lately everyone has been saying that samsung has matched Sony in all aspects and yet price its product around 10k cheaper model to model. Thats why thought of trying something different.

Also for 50' which is a better product? Plasma or LED? Youtube videos seem to suggest that Plasma still holds the upper hand. I did notice in the showroom that Led TVs are very bright to the extent that it might hurt your eyes. Plasma was more subdued.

Guys can we add a poll to this thread with the various brands of TV? Mods please help as this will be useful to most people. Going through 322 pages of this thread is not possible.

Last edited by drmohitg : 17th July 2011 at 10:13.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 13:29   #4819
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,426
Thanked: 6,363 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But lately everyone has been saying that samsung has matched Sony in all aspects and yet price its product around 10k cheaper model to model.
I would not buy that argument. If you compare a Sony & Samsung side by side, you will understand what I am saying. But then you lose out on the features and excessive pricing with Sony. You cannot go wrong with Samsung either. It matches upto 80% on clarity and additional features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I did notice in the showroom that Led TVs are very bright to the extent that it might hurt your eyes. Plasma was more subdued.
Completely agree. LEDs are very bright. I guess life is also shorter in LED TVs. And the price difference should be HUGE as well between LED & Plasma. If you could get someone to bring it from Middle East, you will easily save a 15-20K on these TVs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2011 at 13:30.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 22:59   #4820
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,430
Thanked: 3,521 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would not buy that argument. If you compare a Sony & Samsung side by side, you will understand what I am saying. But then you lose out on the features and excessive pricing with Sony. You cannot go wrong with Samsung either. It matches upto 80% on clarity and additional features.



Completely agree. LEDs are very bright. I guess life is also shorter in LED TVs. And the price difference should be HUGE as well between LED & Plasma. If you could get someone to bring it from Middle East, you will easily save a 15-20K on these TVs.
No I dont have any such connections. The difference between a plasma 51' and Led 46' is around 65k. And I need 2 of these. so the price gap is huge. So the query is with regard to this. That Does it make any sense to go for the LED? I heard that plasma tvs Burn out much sooner. What exactly is this burn out? Can it be repaired? How frequent is this problem?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 23:51   #4821
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No I dont have any such connections. The difference between a plasma 51' and Led 46' is around 65k. And I need 2 of these. so the price gap is huge. So the query is with regard to this. That Does it make any sense to go for the LED? I heard that plasma tvs Burn out much sooner. What exactly is this burn out? Can it be repaired? How frequent is this problem?
L.E.D. TV would work for more time than a LCD.
this is due to the backlit screen in LED is lighted using SMD L.E.D.'s which has a Long long life,
while LCD TV the screen light comes from CCFL Tubes which has shorter life span and are more power consuming.

Don't have details about plasma, but in the current situation i would suggest you to go for a LED TV, thats the best TV one could buy as the price is also getting very competitive.

Lastly just for the info, once LED TV's become more popular the replacement cost of LCD would become expensive than LED Screens, recently found replacement of LED screens for most laptop is cheaper than LCD screen so L.E.D. is the way to go with.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 00:00   #4822
BHPian
 
rvmohankumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

booked a panasonic 42" LED tv. Will be delivered tomorrow.
This is a D series with Internet and other options.

I was more inclined towards Samsung, but went to 2-3 shops and really got confused.

In jayanagar 2nd block the Girias near maiya hospital quoted 63.5k, E zone - 66k and Pai - 60K.

Later went to Devi international which is on the same road and they gave it for 58.5K

Clarity wise and the picture sharpness wise Panasonic appears better than Sony and samsung plus the display panel is made in Japan and it has 178 deg viewablity.

Got tata sky connection also which is extra and they came and installed it today already.

i also saw the Panasonic 46" Plasma TV and the visual quality was amazing. It costed somewhere under 40K, there is no pixel burning and the colors were soft and natural against LED Tvs.

May buy the biggest sized PLasma TV for our Entertainment room(Original plan is for PRojector though)

Last edited by rvmohankumar : 18th July 2011 at 00:01.
rvmohankumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 00:15   #4823
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Congrats "rvmohankumar"
I am a big fan of L.E.D.'s be it a TV, or home lighting :-)

please do post the model number of the panasonic you purchased.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 00:20   #4824
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,718
Thanked: 6,224 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No I dont have any such connections. The difference between a plasma 51' and Led 46' is around 65k. And I need 2 of these. so the price gap is huge. So the query is with regard to this. That Does it make any sense to go for the LED? I heard that plasma tvs Burn out much sooner. What exactly is this burn out? Can it be repaired? How frequent is this problem?
What do you plan on using these TVs for? Office or home use? What programs do you watch?

Honestly, I find Plasmas pictures the best, and most natural. Also the value for money is amazing. I recently bought a 51" and 43" Samsung, and I could not have made a better choice.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 09:14   #4825
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,430
Thanked: 3,521 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What do you plan on using these TVs for? Office or home use? What programs do you watch?

Honestly, I find Plasmas pictures the best, and most natural. Also the value for money is amazing. I recently bought a 51" and 43" Samsung, and I could not have made a better choice.
Both are for Home use. One will be in the living room and the other in formal drawing room.
I am looking at exactly the same TVs that you bought. 51" and 43" samsung plasmas. Can you share the price of both with me?
I am going for the plasma only. The cost difference is too significant. Just a stupid question: Sony vs Samsung? what will you suggest in regard to plasma? Some people suggested that Panasonic makes the best Plasma TVs.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 10:07   #4826
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Singapore/ Kochi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I doubt Sony makes any plasma these days. Between Panasonic and Samsung, Panasonic panels are better rated (read better black) and Samsung for excellent video processing.

I own Samsung 8 series plasma and I can definitely recommend Samsung as a VFM buy.
kevintomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:06   #4827
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,718
Thanked: 6,224 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Both are for Home use. One will be in the living room and the other in formal drawing room.
I am looking at exactly the same TVs that you bought. 51" and 43" samsung plasmas. Can you share the price of both with me?
I am going for the plasma only. The cost difference is too significant. Just a stupid question: Sony vs Samsung? what will you suggest in regard to plasma? Some people suggested that Panasonic makes the best Plasma TVs.
I've not seen any Sony plasmas lately. Panasonic is supposed to be the best, but again the 50" is 1l+ and I didn't find the picture any better. Then again I had a 42" Panasonic plasma before this, and the tv was delicate and the aftersales terrible.

I bought the 51" for 67k and the 43" for 42k. On Tatasky HD and with 1080p blu rays the pq is outstanding.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:06   #4828
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,430
Thanked: 3,521 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've not seen any Sony plasmas lately. Panasonic is supposed to be the best, but again the 50" is 1l+ and I didn't find the picture any better. Then again I had a 42" Panasonic plasma before this, and the tv was delicate and the aftersales terrible.

I bought the 51" for 67k and the 43" for 42k. On Tatasky HD and with 1080p blu rays the pq is outstanding.
Yea even I read on the net that Sony has stopped making plasmas. Hey I have got a very good quote for the samsung in that case. I have got the following prices:
1. Samsung PS51D550 - 64.5K
2. SAMSUNG PS51D490 - 55K

both are 51". The difference is the former is Full HD( atleast thats the basic difference and what matters a little). The other features dont make much sense to me as I want my TV to just perform its job of a TV.

Also for the 43" I got a price of 36k. Model is D430. Good prices?

Actually I came across this new Samsung showroom. And the guy is still setting up his shop. I just happened to see it and went inside to take a look and he said sir since you are my first customer I will give you an excellent deal. Hence the price that I just shared.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:29   #4829
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,718
Thanked: 6,224 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Actually I came across this new Samsung showroom. And the guy is still setting up his shop. I just happened to see it and went inside to take a look and he said sir since you are my first customer I will give you an excellent deal. Hence the price that I just shared.
Those are good deals. I chose the series 5 plasma with full hd over the other one because I am going to keep it for a few years, and I expect many things to start coming in full hd, so I didn't want to miss out on the experience. As for the 43" that tv is not used much so it did not matter.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:35   #4830
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,430
Thanked: 3,521 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Those are good deals. I chose the series 5 plasma with full hd over the other one because I am going to keep it for a few years, and I expect many things to start coming in full hd, so I didn't want to miss out on the experience. As for the 43" that tv is not used much so it did not matter.
You just read my mind. I thought the same. That right now DTH is a little costly. But in next 2-3 years everything is going to be in HD and most porple should be able to afford DTH. So better buy all the TVs which support that. Thanks a ton. If Sony doesn't do something dramatic I am going to go with the above deal.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks