Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th January 2012, 13:41   #5146
BHPian

Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Though got a bit tempted with the neoplasma panel models and Samsung 5 series 51 inch model, had to drop them as they were quite expensive ( for the neo plasma) and limited 1 year warranty for the Samsung one.
I think Samsung has extended warranty for its tvs, though one would have to ask their respective service centers about the cost.One of my friends mentioned that Samsung charged 3000 rs for 2 years extended warranty for his 43d490!

------------------- -------------------------------------------------

leaving that aside ,my Dad is going to Hyderabad for two days. I wanted to know whats the latest price and offers, if any on the Samsung PS51d490.
The prices here in Goa are atrocious! 65k odd for this tv when the 51d550, the 5 series one sells for the same price in Bangalore!
I would appreciate if anyone could find out the latest deals for this Tv. I have been pondering over which tv to get for the past three months so would really be grateful if anyone has some details.

If the deals are good then i would ship the Tv to Goa. I know the risk associated in shipping Tvs over long distances.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 8th January 2012 at 13:53.
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 17:25   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I think Samsung has extended warranty for its tvs, though one would have to ask their respective service centers about the cost.One of my friends mentioned that Samsung charged 3000 rs for 2 years extended warranty for his 43d490!

------------------- -------------------------------------------------

leaving that aside ,my Dad is going to Hyderabad for two days. I wanted to know whats the latest price and offers, if any on the Samsung PS51d490.
The prices here in Goa are atrocious! 65k odd for this tv when the 51d550, the 5 series one sells for the same price in Bangalore!
I would appreciate if anyone could find out the latest deals for this Tv. I have been pondering over which tv to get for the past three months so would really be grateful if anyone has some details.

If the deals are good then i would ship the Tv to Goa. I know the risk associated in shipping Tvs over long distances.

Thanks in advance!

with a bit of bargaining you should get the 5 series in the region of 62 to 64KK( that's the price I was quoted) with 1 year warranty though.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 17:55   #5148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
with a bit of bargaining you should get the 5 series in the region of 62 to 64KK( that's the price I was quoted) with 1 year warranty though.
The 51D550 is anyway over my budget. i was looking at 55k for the 51d490? hope some Hyderabad members can shed some light on this.
Old 11th January 2012, 00:32   #5149
BHPian

Bought Panasonic 50ST30D for 87k (without 3d glasses) from Panasonic showroom. Right now i am 'breaking-in' by keeping brightness, contrast below 50 and watching only fullscreen content. I had also ordered tata sky HD but unfortunately installation could not be done because of direction issue. Have to go for hathway now.
perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 13:05   #5150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
Bought Panasonic 50ST30D for 87k (without 3d glasses) from Panasonic showroom. Right now i am 'breaking-in' by keeping brightness, contrast below 50 and watching only fullscreen content. I had also ordered tata sky HD but unfortunately installation could not be done because of direction issue. Have to go for hathway now.
Break in?? Now do televisions also have to go through such a period or it's just the forum hangover onto the tv section

Jokes apart, just got myself 2 days back a Samsung 40" LED. Should it also go through a "break in" period or it's mainly for plasmas?
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 13:08   #5151
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
just got myself 2 days back a Samsung 40" LED. Should it also go through a "break in" period or it's mainly for plasmas?
No running in or breaking in for LED TVs. It's recommended for Plasma TVs only to prevent burn out or darkening on the panel.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th January 2012 at 13:11.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 20:16   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Break in?? Now do televisions also have to go through such a period or it's just the forum hangover onto the tv section

Jokes apart, just got myself 2 days back a Samsung 40" LED. Should it also go through a "break in" period or it's mainly for plasmas?
LED tvs dont require any break-in . Though manufactures dont recommend break-in for modern plasma its better to have all the evenly aged for the first 200hrs to prevent any image retention or worse a burn in!!

google it up if you need any more info!
Old 11th January 2012, 20:28   #5153
BHPian

I came across a TV Service mechanic advising me that LCD's market is dead and there is no point in buying LCD now. Is it true. LED is recommended or what?
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 13:45   #5154
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just a few minutes back, I ordered online for Samsung 40" LED TV UA40D5000PRMXL with flipkart.com costing Rs 55,040 with a free 3 months Seventymm movie subscription.
Flipkart have increased the price of this TV to Rs 56,610 dropping the free subscription to seventymm.com worth Rs 1,714.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 13:58   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I came across a TV Service mechanic advising me that LCD's market is dead and there is no point in buying LCD now. Is it true. LED is recommended or what?
The acronyms LCD and LED sound similar, but they are entirely different.

LCD = liquid crystal display (a type of display)
LED = light emitting diode (a type of light source)

Conventional LCD TVs use CCFL lamps as the light source behind the LCD display, whereas LED lit LCD TVs use LEDs as the light source.

LED lit LCD TVs are a subset of LCD TVs and in common language are called LED TVs. It doesn't mean that LED TV doesn't have LCD in them.

While LED TVs have their benefits (low power consumption, sleek design, better contrast ratio etc), it is up to the consumer to decide whether they are willing to shell out extra moolah to justify these incremental benefits.

With the current price difference between LCD and LED TVs in India, I would rather buy a bigger LCD TV or a plasma TV, than a smaller LED TV at the same price.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 19:26   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Unless you get AMOLED where the display is actual LED, no LCD involved. So if you have a dark scene, only the necessary pixels are illuminated, unlike LCD/LED backlit where the whole lamp is still on in the back and blocked by the LCD.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:00   #5157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Unless you get AMOLED where the display is actual LED, no LCD involved. So if you have a dark scene, only the necessary pixels are illuminated, unlike LCD/LED backlit where the whole lamp is still on in the back and blocked by the LCD.
While AMOLED in sizes suitable for TV panels might be some time away local dimming is already here, see one of my earlier posts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LED is just the new lighting technology nothing else, the old technology was/is CCFL, the panel will always be LCD for these two back lighting techs.

As far as PQ goes, back lighting is one of the things that has a say in the same. Full array LED equipped panels are able to offer local dimming giving much deeper blacks and greater control over hue which definitely improve the results on screen. However full array LEDs are very expensive at the moment for example Sony HX 925 starting at 1,50,000/- for 46".

Besides LEDs are brighter than CCFLs and it shows. Check the Samsung 8 & 7 series or the Sharp Quattron 830 series. Even though they have edge LEDs they are still much better than the CCFL lit LCD panels.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 03:16   #5158
BHPian

I am looking for more info on Samsung 22" LED TV 22D5003
all details on online stores and Samsung website lists all feature but doesn't mentions if this TV has a 15pin D-Sub (PC INPUT) socket.

This TV specs does shows that it has PC Audio IN, but i don't know if it has the VGA input, if it doesn't has VGA input, i don't know why they have PC Audio Input made available on this.

if anyone owns this Model please confirm if it can accept VGA monitor cable.

Thanks,
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:49   #5159
BHPian

Hello everyone,

eBay has a deal on SONY BRAVIA 40BX420 for Rs. 35,999

Any feedback?

I already have a 32'' but not big enough for my living room. Room is big and bright, and I was looking for a bigger screen.
Apart from this, I want good sound and picture quality. I am ready to connect it with a good home theater if it is the only thing which is required to enjoy the TV.
I use a normal dish TV connection (no HD)
Please let me know if this TV will fulfill my requirement.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:19   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman
Hello everyone,

eBay has a deal on SONY BRAVIA 40BX420 for Rs. 35,999

Any feedback?

I already have a 32'' but not big enough for my living room. Room is big and bright, and I was looking for a bigger screen.
Apart from this, I want good sound and picture quality. I am ready to connect it with a good home theater if it is the only thing which is required to enjoy the TV.
I use a normal dish TV connection (no HD)
Please let me know if this TV will fulfill my requirement.
I have the same but a 400 not 420.
If this is going to be in a bright room then I would recommend you looking at other TVs. The pictures are nice but not great. The tech has significantly improved in TV, this is at last 1.5 years old tech.

Also 40 and 32 inch isn't a great deal different. Try to get a 55inch TV you will never go back to smaller screens. All the best I hope it helped.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote