Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th January 2012, 09:55   #5161
BHPian

Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I think Samsung has extended warranty for its tvs, though one would have to ask their respective service centers about the cost.One of my friends mentioned that Samsung charged 3000 rs for 2 years extended warranty for his 43d490!

------------------- -------------------------------------------------
Asked at 3 stores plus the Samsung technician that came home to do the LED demonstration. All of them said that Samsung has no extended warranty. Just the 1st year that you get along with your television.
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 11:45   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Asked at 3 stores plus the Samsung technician that came home to do the LED demonstration. All of them said that Samsung has no extended warranty. Just the 1st year that you get along with your television.
I think you need to call their customer care and confirm this.
99% people don't go for extended warranty and I am sure thats the reason stores and technicians have Least possible knowledge of the same.

Try Samsung Live help or call customer care for actual details.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 11:57   #5163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I think you need to call their customer care and confirm this.
99% people don't go for extended warranty and I am sure thats the reason stores and technicians have Least possible knowledge of the same.

Try Samsung Live help or call customer care for actual details.
Just called them up (customer care). They confirmed again that Samsung doesn't provide extended warranty on their LCD, LED or Plasma lines of television other than the first year.
Old 18th January 2012, 00:22   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I have the same but a 400 not 420.
If this is going to be in a bright room then I would recommend you looking at other TVs. The pictures are nice but not great. The tech has significantly improved in TV, this is at last 1.5 years old tech.

Also 40 and 32 inch isn't a great deal different. Try to get a 55inch TV you will never go back to smaller screens. All the best I hope it helped.
Thanks.

Plan dropped

Will keep looking for other deals on 40 inches. Any suggestions?
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 10:26   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Thanks.

Plan dropped

Will keep looking for other deals on 40 inches. Any suggestions?
In 40 inches when i was going about my analysis period i couldn't come across much LCD in showrooms. Don't know if it was cause these dealers make a better margin on LEDs or cause of the better picture quality or as the prices are now slowly becoming comparable or all of the three.

So if going for 40 i would suggest you look at LEDs whereas LCD at 32 inches.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:20   #5166
Senior - BHPian

^ LCD and LED are similar except the way back lighting is done on the panel. LEDs are now common but still have a slight premium over LCDs as the slimness increase, also the brightness is better controlled.

LCDs are on the way out or as low end non HD models, believe it or not I saw some non HD panels still being sold at low entry point.

HD ready is not full HD.

Samsung has bought over the panel business from Sony. They had a JV and Sony opted out. According to the industry grapevine Samsung has now free hand and will be very aggressive to recover the investment. OLED technology has advanced and maybe in decade we will have OLED razor sharp screens but I digress.

Try your hand at Samsung is my recommendation. A Sony fanboy recommending Samsung, what has this world come to
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 03:17   #5167
BHPian

What a shocker i just got for Samsung 22" LED TV 22D5003

I saw this TV on letsbuy and it was Rs.14700 in dec-11 and to my shock just found Letsbuy has increased the price to Rs.17900, even removed the free DTH.

What kinda price modification is this, Totally depressing.
Iis it end of good online shopping days.

Note: unable to upload screenshot as attachment, seems forums is having issues tonight.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 19:14   #5168
Senior - BHPian

^^^Most other things on LB also seem to be priced higher than some competing sites, some of which are better than LB. Does not make any sense to buy from LB as of now. For eg. Optimus Net is priced @Rs. 9999 on LB (no general coupons are working as of now, AFAIK) and 9,288 on Sulekha (even lower on Indiaplaza) and about 9,400 on Infibeam! Heck even Flipkart is selling at 9,700! Thats just an example. Has LB gone mad?

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th January 2012 at 19:17.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 15:51   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Looking at buying 50" Plasma mainly for movies on blueray and HD channels. Plan to choose between Panasonic P50U30D & Samsung PS51D550.
Feature wise samsung seems to have an edge however can't decide between the 2 in respect to the display, found them equally same.

Any suggestion on the above 2 models?
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 19:28   #5170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Hi,
Bought Samsung 43D490 from Croma towards end December. While it is true that Samung offers only one yr warranty, Croma offers an extended warranty for 2 more years, for Rs. 3000/-.

Supposedly the Croma warranty covers everything including the panel.

Got my tv for 39 K, including 2 3d glasses, and the three year warranty. And, swiped on two master cards, hence a drop of another 2 K. So, got mine at an effective price of 37 K
skuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 20:59   #5171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
Hi,
Bought Samsung 43D490 from Croma towards end December. While it is true that Samung offers only one yr warranty, Croma offers an extended warranty for 2 more years, for Rs. 3000/-.

Supposedly the Croma warranty covers everything including the panel.

Got my tv for 39 K, including 2 3d glasses, and the three year warranty. And, swiped on two master cards, hence a drop of another 2 K. So, got mine at an effective price of 37 K
Yeah had done the comparison between Vijay sales & Croma at R-city mall cause of the extended warranty they provide, but even with the master card offer the difference was Rs.7000 between the two for me.
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:58   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Try searching for the Panasonic THP50VT20D. This is the top of the line PDP for 2010- 2011 model of Panasonic with an original sticker price of 1,99,000/-. Croma has been selling these at 74000/- since this Diwali. You can still pick up one of the last units with them. Do not accept the standard no stock reply but get them to check their stocks on the 'DC' level. The PQ will blow you away.

Otherwise for PDP you cannot go wrong with a Panasonic. BTW if you do go with the Panny do insist on getting a 3 year warranty card for your unit. This is now standard for all Panasonic panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Looking at buying 50" Plasma mainly for movies on blueray and HD channels. Plan to choose between Panasonic P50U30D & Samsung PS51D550.
Feature wise samsung seems to have an edge however can't decide between the 2 in respect to the display, found them equally same.

Any suggestion on the above 2 models?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:47   #5173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Try searching for the Panasonic THP50VT20D. This is the top of the line PDP for 2010- 2011 model of Panasonic with an original sticker price of 1,99,000/-. Croma has been selling these at 74000/- since this Diwali. You can still pick up one of the last units with them. Do not accept the standard no stock reply but get them to check their stocks on the 'DC' level. The PQ will blow you away.

Otherwise for PDP you cannot go wrong with a Panasonic. BTW if you do go with the Panny do insist on getting a 3 year warranty card for your unit. This is now standard for all Panasonic panels.
Picked up the THP50VT20D for 65K from Croma, had an offer 69,990/- but got additional discount of 5k as also bought Samsung 40d550 and got another discount 4.5K on it.
Great deal. Could test the 3D on Panny as the glasses were not available.
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:16   #5174
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations that is a great deal and it is a fantastic tv. Be sure to run in the panel for the first 100hours of viewing. This will help avoid burn in / image retention etc. Once that is done you are good to go. The PQ especially after the 150~200 hour mark and thereafter just gets better and better. BTW, what is the manufacturing date on the set and you could press the thank button on my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Picked up the THP50VT20D for 65K from Croma, had an offer 69,990/- but got additional discount of 5k as also bought Samsung 40d550 and got another discount 4.5K on it.
Great deal. Could test the 3D on Panny as the glasses were not available.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:42   #5175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Congratulations that is a great deal and it is a fantastic tv. Be sure to run in the panel for the first 100hours of viewing. This will help avoid burn in / image retention etc. Once that is done you are good to go. The PQ especially after the 150~200 hour mark and thereafter just gets better and better. BTW, what is the manufacturing date on the set and you could press the thank button on my posts
Thanks. Will need to check on the manufacturing date. Will check with them tomorrow. Anything in particular that I need to check on in regards to date?