Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 14:16   #5551
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 468
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
2. A 40 inch LED consumes 100 W of power, a 42 inch plasma consumes double of that. But that means that you spend just a few hundreds or a thousand rupees extra per year if you buy a plasma.
Plasmas consume about 300W, so that's a difference of 200W from LEDs. Back of the envelop calculation for 6 hours usage per day = 0.2kW * 6 * 365 = 438 units per annum @ Rs.5 / unit = Rs.2,190 per annum extra. I don't know how much more expensive is an equivalent LED over plasma, even if we conservatively say Rs.10,000, that is still close to 5 years pay back time.

My worry rather is load on home inverter for those cities with erratic power supply. Before I never shut down my PC even when mains power goes off. However if I were to buy and use a plasma TV I would have to shut off either PC or TV in similar scenario.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 14:45   #5552
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
Plasmas consume about 300W, so that's a difference of 200W from LEDs. Back of the envelop calculation for 6 hours usage per day = 0.2kW * 6 * 365 = 438 units per annum @ Rs.5 / unit = Rs.2,190 per annum extra. I don't know how much more expensive is an equivalent LED over plasma, even if we conservatively say Rs.10,000, that is still close to 5 years pay back time.

My worry rather is load on home inverter for those cities with erratic power supply. Before I never shut down my PC even when mains power goes off. However if I were to buy and use a plasma TV I would have to shut off either PC or TV in similar scenario.
The new 42 inch panasonic plasma (2012 range) has 200W power consumption and not 300 W. he was asking about 40". So that makes it 1095 rupees per annum difference as per your calculations.

Last edited by M5_fan : 12th June 2012 at 14:47.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 19:03   #5553
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

These power consumption figures are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
2. A 40 inch LED consumes 100 W of power, a 42 inch plasma consumes double of that. But that means that you spend just a few hundreds or a thousand rupees extra per year if you buy a plasma.


Your fears are unfounded. I have a 50" VT20D and the consumption is rated at 330W. However I have never had to switch off the panel during power cuts. My inverter set up is a 1400VA sine wave + 2 x 150 AH batteries @12V. We don't even come to know when the power goes or comes but for the air conditioners and fridge stopping and restarting.

Further the power consumption figures for the plasma panels given in the specs are the maximum value. That will be the case when the panel screen is displaying only white colour at full brightness. In actual viewing that is never the case. However that is another discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My worry rather is load on home inverter for those cities with erratic power supply. Before I never shut down my PC even when mains power goes off. However if I were to buy and use a plasma TV I would have to shut off either PC or TV in similar scenario.


Every generation of plasma is more efficient than the one it replaces and thank you guys for the calculations. I was thinking of replacing an old HItachi LCD panel with a new LCD+LED panel but now will get either the 42ST30 (quoted @54K) or the 42UT50 as and when it is launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
The new 42 inch panasonic plasma (2012 range) has 200W power consumption and not 300 W. he was asking about 40". So that makes it 1095 rupees per annum difference as per your calculations.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 23:55   #5554
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
These power consumption figures are spot on.

Every generation of plasma is more efficient than the one it replaces and thank you guys for the calculations. I was thinking of replacing an old HItachi LCD panel with a new LCD+LED panel but now will get either the 42ST30 (quoted @54K) or the 42UT50 as and when it is launched.


I was casually going through the samsung India website and was pleasantly surprised to find out that their new 43" plasma TV has a max power consumption of 115 W. That is almost same as 40" LED tvs. So now we do have plasma tvs that have similar power consumption figures as LED tvs.

Now a question for you - my friend wants to buy a plasma tv in the 42" range. What will be more VFM and sensible choice - a full hd model or a 720p model. He wants to watch SD, HD channels and play on the PS3 occasionally. He is a big sports fan though. Budget is upto 50K. Can be stretched by 10%.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 00:52   #5555
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

PS3 necessitates Full HD. In a few years the entire transmission will be HD so why miss out and it makes even more sense especially when he can pick up a 42ST30 within his budget for approx 50~55K from Better deals @GIP Noida or Krish Electronics in Lajpat Nahar II (opp. Sony Center) both being Panasonic brand shops.

Ask him to check Croma, they invariably have schemes going on wherein he could get vouchers for a free Tata Sky/Sky+ connection.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Now a question for you - my friend wants to buy a plasma tv in the 42" range. What will be more VFM and sensible choice - a full hd model or a 720p model. He wants to watch SD, HD channels and play on the PS3 occasionally. He is a big sports fan though. Budget is upto 50K. Can be stretched by 10%.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 07:51   #5556
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 468
Thanked: 174 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
PS3 necessitates Full HD. In a few years the entire transmission will be HD so why miss out and it makes even more sense especially when he can pick up a 42ST30 within his budget for approx 50~55K from Better deals @GIP Noida or Krish Electronics in Lajpat Nahar II (opp. Sony Center) both being Panasonic brand shops.
I was quoted 64k for 42ST30 at GIP Noida, so 55k quote elsewhere is a steal. While testing it I found that it did not recognise mts and mp4 files in the USB drive. That's where my question about DLNA in few posts above came from. 42XT50 played it all.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 07:58   #5557
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
PS3 necessitates Full HD. In a few years the entire transmission will be HD so why miss out and it makes even more sense especially when he can pick up a 42ST30 within his budget for approx 50~55K from Better deals @GIP Noida or Krish Electronics in Lajpat Nahar II (opp. Sony Center) both being Panasonic brand shops.

Ask him to check Croma, they invariably have schemes going on wherein he could get vouchers for a free Tata Sky/Sky+ connection.
Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
I was quoted 64k for 42ST30 at GIP Noida, so 55k quote elsewhere is a steal. While testing it I found that it did not recognise mts and mp4 files in the USB drive. That's where my question about DLNA in few posts above came from. 42XT50 played it all.
Better deals noida will quote anything. The panny brandshop, toshiba store, philips store, sharp store which are in line on the 2nd floor of GIP belong to better deals group only. You can bargain with them hard and they do come down a lot.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 08:36   #5558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 144
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

I'm looking to buy a 40" LED panel and have zeroed in on sony kdl 40ex520. I understand that this panel has a refresh rate of 60hz. Would this be sufficient for watching sports channels, Nat Geo, action sequences etc? No gaming requirement here. Are there better options in the budget of 60 k?

This is the first time I'm buying a flat panel and am going more by the brand name. Need your help mates.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 12:57   #5559
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,859
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
I'm looking to buy a 40" LED panel and have zeroed in on sony kdl 40ex520. I understand that this panel has a refresh rate of 60hz. Would this be sufficient for watching sports channels, Nat Geo, action sequences etc? No gaming requirement here. Are there better options in the budget of 60 k?

This is the first time I'm buying a flat panel and am going more by the brand name. Need your help mates.
I bought Sony 40'' EX520 LED TV last month only. it's really a cool piece.
Even with Normal Cable with Setup Box The Set is giving a very good picture in Sharpness and Contrast.
Have a lot of settings to tweak the display as our needs.
iManual is the wonderful concept and Bravia Sync is very handy for my son to on the DVD Player in one Touch.

I have compared it with Samsung 5 and 6 Series LED TV. Sony EX520 is better in all aspects.

if you want some more refresh rate, consider this new model
KDL-40EX650 : EX650 Series : BRAVIA

Last edited by aks_karthik : 13th June 2012 at 13:00.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 15:35   #5560
BHPian
 
AvinashV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
I'm looking to buy a 40" LED panel and have zeroed in on sony kdl 40ex520. I understand that this panel has a refresh rate of 60hz. Would this be sufficient for watching sports channels, Nat Geo, action sequences etc? No gaming requirement here. Are there better options in the budget of 60 k?

This is the first time I'm buying a flat panel and am going more by the brand name. Need your help mates.
I had bought this in Jan this year

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...UA40D5900VRMXL

Samsung 5 series & got it mainly over the Sony because of the refresh rate of 100Hz plus the Smart Tv & Hub & yes it's been a good buy. Design is really beautiful. Till December 2011 only the 5700 was available & then in Jan they quietly released this new version of 5900 which is basically the same thing but with better aesthetics.
Then it was just above 60k. Do check the price now. I am sure it will be within your budget.
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 16:15   #5561
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Plasma TV - Buy with Warranty Only ( if possible extended warranty )

I recently bought a panasonic plasma (42" ) from singapore without international warranty

Within 17 hours of operation my tv had a permanent thin vertical green line in the center of the screen. I changed my connections to DVD/STB/USB but the line was there

Checked with panasonic india and came to know that it's a manufacturing defect which comes in plasma and the only option is to replace the panel/tv itself. If the TV has warranty they will do it at free of cost and if there is no warranty it will cost half the price of TV

When i searched the net, found lot of forums discussing about thin vertical lines ( red, green, blue ) in panasonic plasma panels and the only solution panasonic provides is to replace the panel/ TV

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...th-42px70.html

Last edited by Seagull76 : 13th June 2012 at 16:17. Reason: added forum links
Seagull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 17:33   #5562
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,409
Thanked: 913 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Plasma TV - Buy with Warranty Only ( if possible extended warranty )

I recently bought a panasonic plasma (42" ) from singapore without international warranty
Thanks for an honest update on your experience.

I have always been amused by people who take the pain to carry such big size goods from abroad though customs risking warranty, compatibility, transit safety, peace of mind, etc to save some money.

Just curious - if you somehow carry your defect piece back to Singapore, will Panasonic Singapore replace it for free in local warranty? I am not sure if return air ticket to Singapore is cheaper than half the panel cost in India.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 06:35   #5563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for an honest update on your experience.

I have always been amused by people who take the pain to carry such big size goods from abroad though customs risking warranty, compatibility, transit safety, peace of mind, etc to save some money.

Just curious - if you somehow carry your defect piece back to Singapore, will Panasonic Singapore replace it for free in local warranty? I am not sure if return air ticket to Singapore is cheaper than half the panel cost in India.

Yes - if i can take it back to singapore they will do a free replacement/service.

However Panasonic,UAE/SE Asia gives international warranty for three years, whereas Panasonic,Singapore doesn't give the same

When i searched the net, this vertical line issue appears in LED TV too. So it's better to get international warranty if bought in abroad ( some stores provide the international warranty at additional cost )
Seagull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:53   #5564
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 833
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hey guys!! I am looking for a LED/Plasma T.V. It has to be 40" and FULL HD. I had checked out the newly launched Samsung 5000(LED). The quote was Rs.52000 without bargaining which is VFM. I know Sony EX520 is a safe bet and is retailing at Rs.59900 but somehow I feel it is a very old model. Another thing is I noticed is all the T.Vs kept side by side Panasonic LED has such amazing picture quality. All the three brands were playing Discovery HD and Pana LED had much better quality compared to Sony and Sammy. Panasonic Plasma 2012 series has not yet hit the stores in Kolkata. I was very much interested in pana plasma after reading the reviews. So guys please suggest me a good T.V.

P.S: Touchwood I have really had a good experience with my previous T.V which is a 15 year old BPL CRT and is still going strong with working remote and everything. I want to have a similar experience again.

Last edited by Pancham : 15th June 2012 at 11:56.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 14:11   #5565
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Invent a time machine > go back 15 years > buy another BPL . there you are sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
P.S: Touchwood I have really had a good experience with my previous T.V which is a 15 year old BPL CRT and is still going strong with working remote and everything. I want to have a similar experience again.

from the 2012 models either the TH-L47ET50 or the L47ET5 has been launched ans is in Pana brand shops so is the plama 42XT50 but this is not full HD.

The best bet at this time is the 42ST30 which is a 2011 model and is of course full HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Panasonic Plasma 2012 series has not yet hit the stores in Kolkata. I was very much interested in pana plasma after reading the reviews. So guys please suggest me a good T.V.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks