Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 16:27   #6196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 982
Thanked: 43 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
.... I for one do not trust Samsung products and this is personal experience. I bought a Samsung 50 inch plasma in London in 2008 and it developed a fault within 8 months, my father bought a similar 50 inch plasma in India and the same fault in less than an year. My cousin bought a 42 inch LCD in Jersey and lo he had a sound issues.....they are cheap and offer a load of features but reliable they are not.
Dude you have just had bad luck, that's what statistics are made up of.
We've had a 32 inch samsung LCd for over two years. It's used a minimum of 12 hours a day on weekdays and about 18 hours a day on weekends. Even the remote has been tossed around by my kids and the dogs. Everything still works without a hitch as on day one!
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 09:38   #6197
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Any good 32" LCD/LED which will double up as a computer monitor? If someone knows the price of the same, that would be great!
For this, you need to determine what kind of interface is available from your computer graphics card.
The three main types are: VGA (blue), DVI (white) and HDMI (looks like USB from a distance).
If it is just VGA/ DVI, then the choice of TV would be limited.
If it is HDMI, then there are plenty of options.
There is S-Video out as well, but that is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The price seem to be same with the coupon code. This is Full-HD, 3D non-smart TV.
Is picture quality of 2D content better in 3D TV than in similar spec 2D TV?
The offer was for a limited time.
I don't think 2D content will look better on a 3D TV, but I would be glad to be corrected.
Some claim to convert 2D to 3D. I don't know if it really looks like 3D or no, but watching with glasses is a pain is what I hear.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 16:58   #6198
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Whats the update on Panasonic GT and ST series of Plasmas? I have spoken to all brand shops in Delhi and they are not even accepting bookings as they arent sure if these top end models would ever make it to India anymore.

I'm looking for ST50 or GT50.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 20:23   #6199
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,305
Thanked: 638 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Nobody listens to me when I say that LG 2012 plasmas are the best when it comes to playing SD telecast, which is what most of us watch most of the time. All the news channels, regional channels are all mostly SD based. Panasonic GT/ST/UT/XT don't even compare to LG when it comes to this aspect though Panasonic can play HD better, agreed.

So go for LG if you want the best SD upscaler in plasmas and large screen LCD's yet. You won't regret it.
lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 21:07   #6200
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Nobody listens to me when I say that LG 2012 plasmas are the best when it comes to playing SD telecast, which is what most of us watch most of the time. All the news channels, regional channels are all mostly SD based. Panasonic GT/ST/UT/XT don't even compare to LG when it comes to this aspect though Panasonic can play HD better, agreed.

So go for LG if you want the best SD upscaler in plasmas and large screen LCD's yet. You won't regret it.
As far as my information goes, the best plasma tv ever was Kuro by Pioneer. They sold off that division to Panasonic subsequently. So its a no brainer from there on.

Facts apart, I've always found LG colors very warm. I have an LG LCD since last 5 years and that is a personal observation.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:06   #6201
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Finally brought home a Pana 42UT50D . And i am happy with the purchase! Got a very good deal. I need some help with the connections

I have Tatasky as well as a Philips DVD home theater. Once the Tatasky RCA cables are connected , i am not getting where to connect the RCA from the DVD player. I need the Video from the DVD to play on the TV and the audio from the TV so that i can play the sound through the home theater speakers when watching Tatasky! I went through the manual and plugged into the possible remaining slots but neither sound nor video is coming! Can anyone help me out with the settings?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 21:42   #6202
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 468
Thanked: 174 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
Finally brought home a Pana 42UT50D . And i am happy with the purchase! Got a very good deal. I need some help with the connections

I have Tatasky as well as a Philips DVD home theater. Once the Tatasky RCA cables are connected , i am not getting where to connect the RCA from the DVD player. I need the Video from the DVD to play on the TV and the audio from the TV so that i can play the sound through the home theater speakers when watching Tatasky! I went through the manual and plugged into the possible remaining slots but neither sound nor video is coming! Can anyone help me out with the settings?
Video connection:
Look at pages 13 and 75 of your manual. On AV1 IN can connect standard single RCA video cable. On AV2 IN you can connect single cable video signal (extreme RHS pin), or 3 cable component video signal (better quality). Depending on the video out available from your DVD player and Tatasky, choose which one to connect to AV1 and which one to AV2.

Audio connection:
If your Tatasky settop box has spare audio out (assuming one set already used to connect to TV), connect that to audio in of your Philips HT. Now it's a matter of selecting input mode from the Philips remote control. Refer user manual if required.

Hope this helps.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 21:45   #6203
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
Finally brought home a Pana 42UT50D . And i am happy with the purchase! Got a very good deal. I need some help with the connections

I have Tatasky as well as a Philips DVD home theater. Once the Tatasky RCA cables are connected , i am not getting where to connect the RCA from the DVD player. I need the Video from the DVD to play on the TV and the audio from the TV so that i can play the sound through the home theater speakers when watching Tatasky! I went through the manual and plugged into the possible remaining slots but neither sound nor video is coming! Can anyone help me out with the settings?
How much did the tv cost and what all freebies did you get?
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:06   #6204
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Video connection:
Look at pages 13 and 75 of your manual. On AV1 IN can connect standard single RCA video cable. On AV2 IN you can connect single cable video signal (extreme RHS pin), or 3 cable component video signal (better quality). Depending on the video out available from your DVD player and Tatasky, choose which one to connect to AV1 and which one to AV2.

Audio connection:
If your Tatasky settop box has spare audio out (assuming one set already used to connect to TV), connect that to audio in of your Philips HT. Now it's a matter of selecting input mode from the Philips remote control. Refer user manual if required.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Will try out the connection tomorrow and let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
How much did the tv cost and what all freebies did you get?
60K for TV+two 3D glasses. Did not opt for printer which costed 2K extra!



Also a big thanks to Deralte for helping with the price suggestions

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th November 2012 at 22:16.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 23:22   #6205
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

Thanks. Will try out the connection tomorrow and let you know

60K for TV+two 3D glasses. Did not opt for printer which costed 2K extra!

Also a big thanks to Deralte for helping with the price suggestions
Even i had got it for 62k with 2 3d glasses and the offer going on that time was a free 1000w panasonic home theater which was also procured by me.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 02:12   #6206
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,207
Thanked: 1,345 Times
Smile re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
For this, you need to determine what kind of interface is available from your computer graphics card.
The three main types are: VGA (blue), DVI (white) and HDMI (looks like USB from a distance).
If it is just VGA/ DVI, then the choice of TV would be limited.
If it is HDMI, then there are plenty of options.
There is S-Video out as well, but that is rare.



The offer was for a limited time.
I don't think 2D content will look better on a 3D TV, but I would be glad to be corrected.
Some claim to convert 2D to 3D. I don't know if it really looks like 3D or no, but watching with glasses is a pain is what I hear.
The 2D to 3D converter does work and will give a 3d like image. But, as you said, 3-D is a pain. I would prefer the stress free 2D any day.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:51   #6207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 40
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Would like to know from where can I get 3D movie DVDs/files ? Did not find them at bookstores like Crossword. Tried at local CD rental shops. None of them had such DVDs.
Just wondering if we can get them at not so high prices in India.
kbrtz125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:02   #6208
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Better get the set replaced with a new one, and keep the new on heat run for sometime. This one looks like a problem of glass panel or panel edge connectors warping due to local heating in the panel, a rare but possible problem.
Finally last weekend Samsung replaced the set with a brand new TV.
So all is well now. Fingers crossed, so far so good !!



-Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:31   #6209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
Would like to know from where can I get 3D movie DVDs/files ? Did not find them at bookstores like Crossword. Tried at local CD rental shops. None of them had such DVDs.
Just wondering if we can get them at not so high prices in India.
Try flipkart. They have a 3D range.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 16:41   #6210
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
Would like to know from where can I get 3D movie DVDs/files ? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Try flipkart. They have a 3D range.
3D will not be DVDs, they will be BDs. Look for Bluray 3D on Flipkart, Amazon etc. Even Crossword has some.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks