Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 13:56   #6301
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Here are the best deals that I have come across so far for Panasonic Plasmas.
1. 42ST50: 84K
2. 42GT50: 86K
3. 50ST50: 99K
4. 50GT50: 1.01K

I have not seen ST50 panel and there are no demo pieces. UT was disappointing when compared to GT and GT was awesome.

The price difference between ST and GT is marginal, so it makes sense to go for GT.

Has anyone come across a better deal on 50GT50? Something in the 90-95K?

I am planning to make payment by evening, but undecided between 42GT and 50GT.

Please suggest.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:20   #6302
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Go for 50GT50. The 1.01K is a great prize. In reality GT50 is supposed to be 20K over ST50. If you are getting it for 1.01K just go and get the GT50.


Get the 50GT50 if you can afford. No regrets.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:29   #6303
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 421
Thanked: 226 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Here are the best deals that I have come across so far for Panasonic Plasmas.
1. 42ST50: 84K
2. 42GT50: 86K
3. 50ST50: 99K
4. 50GT50: 1.01K

I have not seen ST50 panel and there are no demo pieces. UT was disappointing when compared to GT and GT was awesome.

The price difference between ST and GT is marginal, so it makes sense to go for GT.

Has anyone come across a better deal on 50GT50? Something in the 90-95K?

I am planning to make payment by evening, but undecided between 42GT and 50GT.

Please suggest.
Please get the 50GT.

Last edited by rbp : 27th December 2012 at 14:34.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:32   #6304
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,859
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Yes, Buy 50GT50D. I am also looking for the same GT model in 50. But after Apr 2013 for my new house.
The price is killer and for 1.01K, you can buy it blindly.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:34   #6305
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 559
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Here are the best deals that I have come across so far for Panasonic Plasmas.
1. 42ST50: 84K
2. 42GT50: 86K
3. 50ST50: 99K
4. 50GT50: 1.01K
Can you please share the details of the store where you got these quotes? Also, I assume all of these are in stock with the stores.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:50   #6306
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I will PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Can you please share the details of the store where you got these quotes? Also, I assume all of these are in stock with the stores.
Thanks guys. Looks like size does matter.

Here comes the bummer.

The 50GT50 (and also 50ST50) is out of stock and he won't be able to arrange for it.
He can give me 42GT50 for 86K with card payment (I forgot to ask him if wall mount bracket in included or not, but for now, I will keep it on the table).

Swipe card today and get TV tomorrow afternoon is what he says.


Sitting on the sofa, the panel lower edge will be at eye level. With 50" size, the panel extends two feet above the eye level (viewing distance is around 9 ft.).
I am wondering if this will cause neck problems since the head will be reclined backwards like sitting in a movie theater.

With 42", the panel height will be less, and so will be the recline angle.

Note:
I cannot change the sofa and I cannot change the corner table on which the TV will be sitting. I don't have any scope of wall mounting either.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:59   #6307
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

50 is the right size. If 50ST50 is available, go for the 50inch.

The size grows down each day and 50inch will look smaller in few months.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 15:11   #6308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virar(Near Mumbai)
Posts: 75
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Sitting on the sofa, the panel lower edge will be at eye level. With 50" size, the panel extends two feet above the eye level (viewing distance is around 9 ft.).
I am wondering if this will cause neck problems since the head will be reclined backwards like sitting in a movie theater.

With 42", the panel height will be less, and so will be the recline angle.

Note:
I cannot change the sofa and I cannot change the corner table on which the TV will be sitting. I don't have any scope of wall mounting either.
Please go for 50 inch. Because the vertical height difference between 50 and 42 shall be only 4 inch since vertical is half of diagonal length. So difference is not huge but negligible. Do consider well before deciding.
Also I fill seller may be pushing 42 instead of 50 due to minor price difference between 42 and 50. Just a doubt. Please have patience. Vw2010's point above is very true. He posted while I was typing. My friend was advised similar by his friends and he went for Sony 55 inches from 46 inches.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 27th December 2012 at 15:14.
HydroFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 15:22   #6309
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Thanks guys for the inputs.
Perhaps I need to change the *corner* table. and look for another table that can house the 20-25KG TV? After spending a fortune (read 1 lac) on a TV, I will have hardly anything left over for the other components that I plan.

Edit: The good part is that my wife will be very happy if we get a 50 inch TV. She will be even happier with 55, but that is for another day.


In the meanwhile, I was reading this: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...isons-mailbag/

I am way off the mark in terms of height as I can see. Thankfully, the viewing distance of 10 feet will reduce the problem for me, but still the TV will be very high above the eye ball level.

Does the wall mounting accessory come free?

Edit 2: I see a connection here between bigger cars and bigger televisions.

Last edited by S_U_N : 27th December 2012 at 15:36. Reason: Edit: Corner table --> Center table
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 15:22   #6310
BHPian
 
yajaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 367
Thanked: 123 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

SUN - follow the words of VW2010 and HydroFuel, bigger is better. I have a 40" LCD which i picked up 2 years back and now its small. Currently saving up funds for a 55".
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:13   #6311
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
I am way off the mark in terms of height as I can see. Thankfully, the viewing distance of 10 feet will reduce the problem for me, but still the TV will be very high above the eye ball level.
@SUN

I will be very honest here. This minimal distance matters when you become a purist for television viewing.

I am saying this because i have a 50Inch and a 42 and we watch TV from less than 5 feet all day. I have never experience any issues nor my wife nor my brother and kids.

Dont go by the calculation and recommendation. Its just a recommendation for purist view.

There is science to it as well.

In reality the distance is not a big deal. Returning after playing a game of soccer, i sit close to fan or ac. TV is second priority .

Wall mounting comes free. I have two unused wall mounting with me. Never found usage at home.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:46   #6312
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Well, it looks like I have to hold on for a week.
50 inchers are expected after one week as per one brandshop. The other brandshop says that there are 200 pending orders for 50 inchers across the country. So there is no chance.
But I will take my chances and wait for a week.
42 incher is available in stock. This shows that there are less takers for 42 inchers even when it costs lesser.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 19:17   #6313
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

42 inch does not even require you to get a full HD. Even the SD, set op box contents look fantastic in a 42 inch.

I saw this difference on day 1 in my 50 inch. The SD set up box failed miserably and couldnt hold grounds.

Now thats when the distance matters. We started watching from behind to get a better picture (Feeling)
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 20:00   #6314
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 421
Thanked: 226 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, it looks like I have to hold on for a week.
50 inchers are expected after one week as per one brandshop. The other brandshop says that there are 200 pending orders for 50 inchers across the country. So there is no chance.
But I will take my chances and wait for a week.
42 incher is available in stock. This shows that there are less takers for 42 inchers even when it costs lesser.
Wait for the 50 inch TV's to arrive, I brought the 42" P42V20 2 years back and already feel the TV is too small.

@All :- How many years would you keep a TV before you think of upgrading again?
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 23:24   #6315
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post

Wait for the 50 inch TV's to arrive, I brought the 42" P42V20 2 years back and already feel the TV is too small.

@All :- How many years would you keep a TV before you think of upgrading again?
We would be keeping our current 42UT50 plasma for a long long time. Maybe even until it goes kaput on its own.

Our previous LG CRT tv was purchased in 99 and replaced only last month. So you can take a guess on how long we Will be holding on to this plasma.

But frankly, I don't see the need to keep changing tv every few years. Purely personal opinion
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks