Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 16:32   #6841
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Bumping it up with an option. Is this a good buy? http://www.homeshop18.com/lg-32-hd-l...d:3240/?pos=22

Definition of 'good' sound quality varies with individuals.
Most flat panel TV's have average sound quality. There is no depth, hence a home theater is required.

With TV's the formats supported is very less from USB.
Even if the codec is supported, the profile level may not be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

So, all in all, you will have to choose files to play depending on the capability of the TV (which is not really something you may be able to do).

I would suggest to get something like WD TV Live Hub (or some other product with remote) to play movies. The device can connect via HDMI cable to the TV.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 19:23   #6842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Definition of 'good' sound quality varies with individuals.

I would suggest to get something like WD TV Live Hub (or some other product with remote) to play movies. The device can connect via HDMI cable to the TV.
Gee thanks. I may buy this WD TV Live hub for me. But I fret the old man (my friend's grandfather) will be comfortable with this. Anyway, thanks a lot @S_U_N
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 08:41   #6843
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 128 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Thanks for the reply guys I have a samsung 32" LCD now which LCd panel has gone kaput in in 6 years ( though the tv has not run for many hours). The service guys came and told that the change of LCd panel would be 15-18k but now LCD tv itself 32" costs only 20k. So decided against going for panel change and instead scouting option to buy a 3D LED smart TV

i am leaning towards LG brand after auditioning samsung 46F6400 and LG 47LA6200/LA6620/LA6910 now given its bells and whistles like 3D quality (Passive),Widi,Wifi, Movie streaming through wifi to watch in phone, And Timemachine2 which will let me record SD content on TV on a hard disk ( Saves me money as i can rather buy a Tatasky Hd rather than TataSky HD+)

What are your thoughts?

Can you guys tell me the difference between 47LA6200/LA6620/LA6910 models in LG......I dont see much of difference listed in the website specs
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 12:18   #6844
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The service guys came and told that the change of LCd panel would be 15-18k but now LCD tv itself 32" costs only 20k. So decided against going for panel change and instead scouting option to buy a 3D LED smart TV
Just a note that you can get the TV disassembled and sell the parts on ebay/ olx etc. You will hopefully get some money out of it.

Quote:
And Timemachine2 which will let me record SD content on TV on a hard disk ( Saves me money as i can rather buy a Tatasky Hd rather than TataSky HD+)
I doubt you can do that. Can you provide me a link?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 12:59   #6845
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I doubt you can do that. Can you provide me a link?
You can search for LG timemachine 2.....it allows recording in external hard disk too..... But there is a catch to it.... You can watch it only on tv you have recorded it.... You cannot take it and view on computer or even another lg tv of same model. The files are encrypted in such a way

http://www.ameinfo.com/96530.html

Last edited by geeash : 9th August 2013 at 13:02.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 13:22   #6846
BHPian
 
sukhoi30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 327
Thanked: 385 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Thanks for the reply guys I have a samsung 32" LCD now which LCd panel has gone kaput in in 6 years ( though the tv has not run for many hours). The service guys came and told that the change of LCd panel would be 15-18k but now LCD tv itself 32" costs only 20k. So decided against going for panel change and instead scouting option to buy a 3D LED smart TV

i am leaning towards LG brand after auditioning samsung 46F6400 and LG 47LA6200/LA6620/LA6910 now given its bells and whistles like 3D quality (Passive),Widi,Wifi, Movie streaming through wifi to watch in phone, And Timemachine2 which will let me record SD content on TV on a hard disk ( Saves me money as i can rather buy a Tatasky Hd rather than TataSky HD+)

What are your thoughts?

Can you guys tell me the difference between 47LA6200/LA6620/LA6910 models in LG......I dont see much of difference listed in the website specs
I have a Samsung 46" TV which has gone kaput in one and half years. Its LCD panel has started showing horizontal lines and ghost images. The service engineer told that the LCD panel has to be replaced at a cost of around 30K. The TV iteself cost me 65K ... I am definitely not going to add another 30K for a new panel. If you google for Samsung TVs you will find many blogs and posts citing LCD panel issues with these TVs. The problem here is that any brand of TV you go for apart from LG, have their LCD panel procured from samsung. So, only other competition seems to be LG but their TV do not have additional features that Samsung or Sony offers. So, its a difficult choice really to decide which one to buy.
But one thing is for sure, I am not going to buy any Samsung products now on.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 13:35   #6847
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 718 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I have a Samsung 46" TV which has gone kaput in one and half years. Its LCD panel has started showing horizontal lines and ghost images.
But one thing is for sure, I am not going to buy any Samsung products now on.
The exact same thing happened on my Sony LCD back in 2011. We bought it in 2008 Oct and by March 2011 the TV was unusable thanks to horizontal lines and ghost images. Decided will not fall for this marketing talk of LCD/LED having more life and went the Plasma way with Panasonic.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 13:38   #6848
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
So, only other competition seems to be LG but their TV do not have additional features that Samsung or Sony offers.
I think LG atleast for 46-47 inch range has more features, bells and whistles
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 20:52   #6849
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

I guess it is. Recently, our TV guy (not part of any ASC), who is probably amongst the best technician I'v come across, said the same thing - failure rate is very high in recent LCD/LEDs. Usually happens after the warranty is up. He told us not to give up our CRT, if durability is a factor.

Its pretty much the same in most of the products today. Laptops for eg. Things are built NOT to last too long, so that you keep buying more and more often. You gotta be extra alert and informed to select the stuff that may last RELATIVELY longer.

In this scenario, I feel it just does not make sense consider TVs as a long term investment, like it was in the past. And buy a TV with 3 year warranty on all components. Else expect to start looking for a replacement just after a year or two, at most.
I think this a perfect statement to make. My just over one year old LG32 LED had black stripes. Imagine paying 17k to replace the panel after having invested 44k to buy the tv, or paying additional 12k to buy warranty.Just does not make sense to invest so much in a depreciating asset.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 18:33   #6850
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default

In these cases buying plasma makes sense. Less problematic cheaper vis vas led or lcd and in case of Panasonic comes with 3 year warranty for panel. Also add to that much richer and realistic color reproduction. Talk about shooting all the birds with one shot!!
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 19:35   #6851
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 372
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hasn't panasonic stopped investing/production of plasma in japan? Wouldn't it be riskier as "plasma" could be abandoned as old tech for service aspect of current panasonic plasma tv owners.

This is the only thing which is stopping me from buying a new plasma of any brand.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 14:47   #6852
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Hasn't panasonic stopped investing/production of plasma in japan? Wouldn't it be riskier as "plasma" could be abandoned as old tech for service aspect of current panasonic plasma tv owners.

This is the only thing which is stopping me from buying a new plasma of any brand.
If Panasonic cannot give you a replacement plasma TV, they will either refund money or give you an offer to exchange with a new LED TV.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 15:45   #6853
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 372
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If Panasonic cannot give you a replacement plasma TV, they will either refund money or give you an offer to exchange with a new LED TV.
Are you sure? I mean is it written down in the manuals/warranty card of the existing plasma sets?

Goodwill from the brand towards compensating the affected consumers of defective products also would not be applicable on anything in the 13 month of usage afaik across all electronic items of today.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 11:01   #6854
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Are you sure? I mean is it written down in the manuals/warranty card of the existing plasma sets?

Goodwill from the brand towards compensating the affected consumers of defective products also would not be applicable on anything in the 13 month of usage afaik across all electronic items of today.
My statement is true if your unit is in warranty. If it is out of warranty, then the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix it for you.

Contact Panasonic helpline and confirm if the warranty on plasmas is reduced from 3 to 1 year.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 14:11   #6855
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
The problem here is that any brand of TV you go for apart from LG, have their LCD panel procured from samsung. So, only other competition seems to be LG but their TV do not have additional features that Samsung or Sony offers.
Which additional information are you talking about?
As far as I have noticed, LG has all the features, in a better quality and price.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks