Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 14:16   #6856
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Those looking for a big TV, I came across this post on another forum.
Chennai BHPians might be tempted to investigate further and perhaps strike a deal.
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner...ker-stand.html

Note: Please do your due diligence. I have no association with the seller or the products he/she is selling.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 17:21   #6857
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 203
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I recently bought a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV. I need to know whether is is required to purchase a Voltage Stabilizer for it. I live in housing society where the voltage from the mains is on the higher side. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. However, I have not seen any instances of recognizable voltage fluctuations.

Hence, my question to the experts: Do my LED TV require a voltage stabilizer?
mayukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 18:06   #6858
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
... during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. ...
How did you measure the voltage? Not unthinkable, but getting 270 or more normally is quite rare anywhere, even if the building distribution transformer is severely underloaded (very few flats occupied).

Check the manual of the TV - it will mention the AC voltage the power supply can take. Usually this is 180-270 for 230V AC lines. Unless there is a spike in the line (lightning strike; 'single phasing' with you on the wrong phase=400+volts!), the power supply may be able to take the higher voltage for some time. It may also have an automatic over-voltage cutoff, usually reversible.

If, to be very safe, you want to get a stabilizer, please physically check whether the stabilizer does what it is supposed to do. Usually takes just an auto-transformer / variac to test over-voltage bucking or cut out of the stabilizer. You will be surprised as to how many of them fail to do what they are meant to do.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 18:09   #6859
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
.. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage....

Hence, my question to the experts: Do my LED TV require a voltage stabilizer?
270V is not healthy. You yourself know that it is >220 most of the time. So, it makes sense to put a constant voltage stabilizer to ensure that supply is at 220v.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 21:22   #6860
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
270V is not healthy. You yourself know that it is >220 most of the time. So, it makes sense to put a constant voltage stabilizer to ensure that supply is at 220v.
This would serve you well: http://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-tvg...4-8ca7cbac0f66

It's a famous company with good credentials.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 21:28   #6861
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 256
Thanked: 152 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Bought a Samsung 64 inch plasma , 2013 flagship model under Samsungs current extended warranty scheme . Costed 1.84 with 15 month EMI scheme at 0% interest and 0% processing fee. Waiting for it to be delivered on Monday .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 22:46   #6862
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 82 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Vast majority of the tv are rated to handle 240v ,anything higher is not good.
While they can handle voltages exceeding 240v ,it will definitely take a toll on the power supply. So yes installing a stabilizer is must for most households in India.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 06:18   #6863
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Vast majority of the tv are rated to handle 240v ,anything higher is not good.
While they can handle voltages exceeding 240v ,it will definitely take a toll on the power supply. So yes installing a stabilizer is must for most households in India.
I was having this issue of voltage shooting up to 290v. Was a problem with cabling on DB in the road. Lasted about two months till the EB fixed it but I bought a APC stabilizer for my led TV. Was very annoying as it would cutoff output whenever voltage exceed 250v. Just FYI. I don't use it anymore the stabilizer and it was a model specifically for TVs.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 07:38   #6864
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

what I meant is a "Constant Voltage Transformer" (wrongly wrote it as stabilizer earlier). This will ensure that voltage is 220V irrespective of the input feed (within a broader range of course) without cutting off the power unlike some of the devices mentioned above.

Example: http://www.onlineupsindia.co.in/Cons...ormer-CVT.html (one of the first links from google).

This will ensure that a constant 220v/designated rated power output is available for your electronic devices. Another possible option is to look at an online UPS (which will be expensive).

BTW, I have an old 1KVA rated CVT for my PC (a P4 1.6GHz with a large CRT which is still in great working condition) which is used for playing some old PC games even now. It weighs like 10+ kgs and hums badly, but does a great job. It may be a good idea to put a 5KA (or the rated power in your house) CVT in your basement/common area so that entire house is protected. I am not sure of what is the extra impact on your EB bill though :P
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 12:15   #6865
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

CVT clips the sine wave once the core is saturated. The distorted voltage may play havoc with some equipment, but should be safe with switching power supplies.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 14:08   #6866
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I recently bought a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV. I need to know whether is is required to purchase a Voltage Stabilizer for it. I live in housing society where the voltage from the mains is on the higher side. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. However, I have not seen any instances of recognizable voltage fluctuations.

Hence, my question to the experts: Do my LED TV require a voltage stabilizer?
I have purchased a Sollatek SVS04 for my plasma. It shows low and high mains voltage via indicators. Every night after around 11 PM the voltage is higher than normal (I have not measured it though).
It also takes care of the spikes (I can hear some clicks at times).

Price is around Rs 3100. Note: This is for 4 Amperes of load - for your LED, 2 Ampere model is enough and cheaper as well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Bought a Samsung 64 inch plasma , 2013 flagship model under Samsungs current extended warranty scheme . Costed 1.84 with 15 month EMI scheme at 0% interest and 0% processing fee. Waiting for it to be delivered on Monday .
This is the beauty of Samsung. They give you interest free loan. I took advantage of this when I had to purchase Note 10.1. They even gave a cashback of around 5000 during that period.
Other manufacturers should learn a thing or two from them.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 16:20   #6867
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post


This is the beauty of Samsung. They give you interest free loan. I took advantage of this when I had to purchase Note 10.1. They even gave a cashback of around 5000 during that period.
Other manufacturers should learn a thing or two from them.
0% Interest+0% Processing fee+ low downpayment is available on all other brands also. It is not specific to Samsung.

Infact, Beauty of other products is they have allowed the dealers negotiation on price to customers. Samsung and Sony have made a strict policy of no-negotiation 6 months back.

Adhishwar's contract has been cancelled by Sony because they reduced the price for customers.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 11:58   #6868
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
0% Interest+0% Processing fee+ low downpayment is available on all other brands also. It is not specific to Samsung.
I can tell you Panasonic does not have any such offer.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 13:26   #6869
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have purchased a Sollatek SVS04 for my plasma. It shows low and high mains voltage via indicators...
Sollatek TV guard & Fridge Guard are available on snapdeal at Rs 999 today. Using a coupon (USD962BA99) will reduce it by another Rs 250. Based on recommendation here, I have placed an order for a TV Guard now (for Rs 750). Since it is Snapdeal, I didn't want to pay upfront & take chances & hence placed a "Cash On delivery" order.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/soll...tector/1356201
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 14:34   #6870
BHPian
 
prram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerala, Dubai
Posts: 29
Thanked: Once
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

How good is AOC LED Televisions, came across this model while surfing the web for a 3d LED TV. http://www.aocindia.com/product.php?...roduct_id=108# .
prram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks