Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 18:52   #6931
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 83 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

The bravia 40R452 is not even designed by Sony,since its a low cost model its designed and made by Foxconn.
Only the W600 and above models are designed and made by Sony.

As far as plasma the low end models like X60D have poor brightness and poor anti-glare measures,so in daytime the actual contrast will be poor compare to lcd.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 19:40   #6932
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,854
Thanked: 16,293 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The bravia 40R452 is not even designed by Sony,since its a low cost model its designed and made by Foxconn.
Only the W600 and above models are designed and made by Sony.

As far as plasma the low end models like X60D have poor brightness and poor anti-glare measures,so in daytime the actual contrast will be poor compare to lcd.
Thanks for this info. Dropped the Sony from the shopping list. Picture quality is also poor.

Any suggestions for an LED TV below / around 50k. Requirements are picture quality and reliability. This will be used by my parents hence not much emphasis on smart TV features.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2013 at 19:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 21:09   #6933
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

You can go with Panasonic they do make some good LCD/LED panels. Sharp is not bad either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for this info. Dropped the Sony from the shopping list. Picture quality is also poor.

Any suggestions for an LED TV below / around 50k. Requirements are picture quality and reliability. This will be used by my parents hence not much emphasis on smart TV features.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 09:31   #6934
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Hi,

A newbie question. How to sync a Tata Sky + HD remote with a Sony Bravia LCD tv?

Googling only throws results for a normal tata sky HD remote (select + 2 for 3 seconds). This process is not working for the remote with recording functionality.

Attached is the pic of the two remotes.
Attached Images
 
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 10:00   #6935
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,862
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi,

A newbie question. How to sync a Tata Sky + HD remote with a Sony Bravia LCD tv?

Googling only throws results for a normal tata sky HD remote (select + 2 for 3 seconds). This process is not working for the remote with recording functionality.

Attached is the pic of the two remotes.
Check this below link.
http://dreamdth.com/Thread-Now-Contr...ata-Sky-Remote
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:24   #6936
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 83 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for this info. Dropped the Sony from the shopping list. Picture quality is also poor.

Any suggestions for an LED TV below / around 50k. Requirements are picture quality and reliability. This will be used by my parents hence not much emphasis on smart TV features.
You can check out the samsung series 42F5500 or the Sony 42W650.The sony is cheaper in ebay.in or in grey markets.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:30   #6937
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 221
Thanked: 66 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
The Tatasky universal remote will have an extra "univ" button. Then only it can be made to work on TV's after syncing. The remotes without "univ" button cannot operate TV. Hope this helps. Thanks
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:34   #6938
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,862
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

The Tatasky universal remote will have an extra "univ" button. Then only it can be made to work on TV's after syncing. The remotes without "univ" button cannot operate TV. Hope this helps. Thanks
Yes right. This is the new remote with Univ button.

Name:  image1201697009.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  435.9 KB
Attached Images
 

Last edited by aks_karthik : 11th September 2013 at 11:35.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 13:48   #6939
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

The Tatasky universal remote will have an extra "univ" button. Then only it can be made to work on TV's after syncing. The remotes without "univ" button cannot operate TV. Hope this helps. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post

Yes right. This is the new remote with Univ button.
Thank you all so much for responding. So the remote pic I posted is not really a universal remote. Correct?

Then what does the TV button do?

👍
MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 21:50   #6940
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 141
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I visited Sony showroom today. Rejected Bravia 40R452A purely for the picture quality, rather lack of it.

I see Toshiba PU 200-40 recommended in earlier pages here. How good is Toshiba in reliability and quality? Also do they have a credible after sales network?

Panasonic P50X60D- Plasma TV (but not full HD). Is this a wise choice over the 40 inch LEDs? I hear plasma may get phased out soon, but will it be reliable? Considering plasmas only due to the comparable price here. Not going to full HD plasma range.
I have been using Panasonic hd ready plasma 42" for past 5 yrs for one room and 50" S series full hd for 2 yrs ... Both are amazing even for dishtv tru hd.. 42" was the model last picked at 35k even by my bro in law and mom in law and r happy with it... If yo want more bang for the buck under Rs 40k and want bigger screen ..go for any 42"plasma by Panasonic , cause at that size full hd won't matter much and plasma has softer picture with zero response time.. Cheers
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:48   #6941
BHPian
 
gkrishn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
I have been using Panasonic hd ready plasma 42" for past 5 yrs for one room and 50" S series full hd for 2 yrs ... Both are amazing even for dishtv tru hd.. 42" was the model last picked at 35k even by my bro in law and mom in law and r happy with it... If yo want more bang for the buck under Rs 40k and want bigger screen ..go for any 42"plasma by Panasonic , cause at that size full hd won't matter much and plasma has softer picture with zero response time.. Cheers
There are no 42 inches in 2013 model, in panasonic.

The issue with the HD ready plasma models are, the strange 1024*768 resolution. This is not really a 720p. In fact the aspect ratio is also wrong.
And this shows up in the characters. like for example the "ESPN" in espn logo looks jaded. this is not noticble if your sitting far enough.
But yes, there is absolutely no difference in the DTH HD pic quality between the full hd and these models.

Diff is only when a true bd source is used.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 20:53   #6942
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 141
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post

There are no 42 inches in 2013 model, in panasonic.

The issue with the HD ready plasma models are, the strange 1024*768 resolution. This is not really a 720p. In fact the aspect ratio is also wrong.
And this shows up in the characters. like for example the "ESPN" in espn logo looks jaded. this is not noticble if your sitting far enough.
But yes, there is absolutely no difference in the DTH HD pic quality between the full hd and these models.

Diff is only when a true bd source is used.
Yup, i checked the site, 42 are no longer available...as a matter of fact I want to buy a 65 " plasma FHD with 3d, but Panasonic is aggressively pursuing plasma phase out plans and ain't available ...however you may get lucky with an odd dealer who may give you good deal...they are built to last and great value for money per sq inch of screen..I would definitely scout for one..
Meanwhile if I don't get a 65", then I would settle for either Samsung led 55" 7 series or 60" in 6 series, cost around 2.18 and 1.90 respectively. 240hz vs 120 , but that 5" additional screen extension is tempting..
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 22:01   #6943
BHPian
 
akhil_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Hi.
I'm planning to buy a 40/42"smart TV. Shortlisted lg ln5710 and Samsung 6400. Lg is 42 while Samsung is 40. Price is almost same. Lg has something called time machine which enables recording in hard disk. Not sure about bells and whistles in Samsung. Please suggest which brand to go for.
I don't know much about other brands.
Thanks.
akhil_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 00:33   #6944
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Hi.
I'm planning to buy a 40/42"smart TV. Shortlisted lg ln5710 and Samsung 6400. Lg is 42 while Samsung is 40. Price is almost same. Lg has something called time machine which enables recording in hard disk. Not sure about bells and whistles in Samsung. Please suggest which brand to go for.
I don't know much about other brands.
Thanks.
Price is not same, you can negotiate on LG so it will be 3-4K lesser than a similar model in Sony/Samsung.
LG has an IPS panel, read about it on Internet.
LG - LN is 2012 model - Discontinued.
2013 models are - LA - with some more added features.

I would suggest you to have a look at LA6200, It will cost you around 8K lesser than Samsung 6400 - Difference, LG has a lesser response rate (doesn't matter) and Panel (LG has better = IPS).
but, you get a Magic remote with LG and a swivel stand+wall mount with LG which is very very useful.
LG passive 3D is best in class. They give you 4 glasses free. Incase you want to buy more, they are very cheap.

Regarding Time machine - You get recording facility with most HD STboxes. Should not be a deciding factor for you.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:40   #6945
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Picked up a 55 Sony W80 from the grey market. Cost 1.16L. Stopped by at Reliance just prior and it is retailing for 1.49L.
Question: wanted to purchase a swivel wall mount but was advised that the tv being slim may get damaged if used wrongly. I use a swivel mount with my 46 LCD which is heavier. Wanted opinions as am not comfortable with a flush wall mount with regards to reaching cables or general cleaning...
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks