Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 13:48   #7276
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,194
Thanked: 2,696 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am in market for a TV for my parents. They do not use HD/ Net etc on the TV. I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. Please suggest a VOM model with good service/ warranty.
I bought the LG LED TV LN5400 model. It has no SMART or 3D features. Good picture quality and totally satisfied with it. Paid 42k last diwali.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:01   #7277
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
... I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. ...
It's got nothing to do with the 'TV wall'; what matters is the distance from which they will watch the TV.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:16   #7278
BHPian
 
mac187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 306 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It's got nothing to do with the 'TV wall'; what matters is the distance from which they will watch the TV.
The distance between the wall and sofa is 10 feet.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:22   #7279
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,194
Thanked: 2,696 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
The distance between the wall and sofa is 10 feet.
The same viewing distance in our bedroom too. Any closer and you can see pixels in non-HD content. Go with 40inch and above.

To be honest, initially we were wow'ed with the 42inch but now we feel we should have bought the 47inch set.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:32   #7280
BHPian
 
mac187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 306 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The same viewing distance in our bedroom too. Any closer and you can see pixels in non-HD content. Go with 40inch and above.

To be honest, initially we were wow'ed with the 42inch but now we feel we should have bought the 47inch set.
Is plasma a good option? Link Also there will be 4x6 feet windows on two sides of the TV, opposite to the TV and on the right side. Third side is the open hall/dining, with more natural light coming in. Would Plasma be able to perform better in such a condition?

I am ok with the disadvantages of Plasma as my parents are moving from CRT. I believe plasma will be better than a 20yr old CRT. Also my parents don't watch sports other than cricket, so refresh rate is something they can live with.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:46   #7281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

How are Phillips LED TVs? They seem to have a couple of 40 inchers which are priced much lower than other brands - any reviews on them?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:29   #7282
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,194
Thanked: 2,696 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Is plasma a good option? Link Also there will be 4x6 feet windows on two sides of the TV, opposite to the TV and on the right side. Third side is the open hall/dining, with more natural light coming in. Would Plasma be able to perform better in such a condition?

I am ok with the disadvantages of Plasma as my parents are moving from CRT. I believe plasma will be better than a 20yr old CRT. Also my parents don't watch sports other than cricket, so refresh rate is something they can live with.
I don't have much information on Plasma's. Please read up the last couple of posts, there is a comparo between LED and Plasma TV's.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 01:33   #7283
BHPian
 
karan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hi,
Have been trying hard to find the Panasonic P50S60D plasma here in Bombay, however it seems to be extinct and it seems i might have to settle for an LED lit LCD.
Is there any other good telly i can buy between 70-80k which is full hd and has a screen size of 46-50 inches, don't care about 3D. Also can someone shed some light if most manufacturers are about to bring in a new lineup for 2014 by next month, as that is what i have been told in Croma, vijay sales and the Panny brand shop in Vile Parle.

Thanks in advance.
karan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 08:27   #7284
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 430
Thanked: 253 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
Hi,
Have been trying hard to find the Panasonic P50S60D plasma here in Bombay, however it seems to be extinct and it seems i might have to settle for an LED lit LCD.
Is there any other good telly i can buy between 70-80k which is full hd and has a screen size of 46-50 inches, don't care about 3D. Also can someone shed some light if most manufacturers are about to bring in a new lineup for 2014 by next month, as that is what i have been told in Croma, vijay sales and the Panny brand shop in Vile Parle.

Thanks in advance.
your best bet as of today http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS51F5500ARLXL

I have read good reviews. Nothing beats a plasma if you love natural colors and watch lots of action.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 11:08   #7285
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 717
Thanked: 540 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am in market for a TV for my parents. They do not use HD/ Net etc on the TV. I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. Please suggest a VOM model with good service/ warranty.
You can check 32" version of
P2305 series I am happy with my purchase and also comes with three year warranty.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 11:44   #7286
BHPian
 
karan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
your best bet as of today http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS51F5500ARLXL

I have read good reviews. Nothing beats a plasma if you love natural colors and watch lots of action.
Thanks for the suggestion rbp, main usage will be, watching a lot of fast moving content and gaming.
Will try and hunt this Samsung down as it was on my mind, although I'm not a fan of Korean makes.
karan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 12:06   #7287
NGM
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 73
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The same viewing distance in our bedroom too. Any closer and you can see pixels in non-HD content. Go with 40inch and above.

To be honest, initially we were wow'ed with the 42inch but now we feel we should have bought the 47inch set.
Agree to this.Bigger the better if you can afford and there is enough viewing distance.Now I think the 42 inch I bought last year is a bit small
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 13:56   #7288
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
.... main usage will be, watching a lot of fast moving content and gaming.
....
You should seriously look for a good used 29" CRT TV, from Philips, Sony or Panasonic; nothing beats them at this kind of usage.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 00:37   #7289
BHPian
 
karan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You should seriously look for a good used 29" CRT TV, from Philips, Sony or Panasonic; nothing beats them at this kind of usage.
I am graduating from a 29" Sony CRT already Anup. Would have to disagree that CRT is still top dog for fast paced tv content.have another Samsung LED in the house, which seems from another planet when i hook my PS3 on it or watch Motogp, as compared to my CRT. So finally managed to find a Panny P50S60D after calling half of Bombay, got a sweet deal, will be delivered tomorrow

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2014 at 10:06. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
karan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 11:59   #7290
BHPian
 
mac187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
You can check 32" version of
P2305 series I am happy with my purchase and also comes with three year warranty.
This looks like a good model. The 39" model is full HD and suits my requirements too. I will surely check it out. Unable to find user reviews for this, any idea why?
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks