Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 15:15   #7456
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Im looking for 32 inch TV. Im not interested in 3D, internet etc. I just want great picture quality and viewing angles, clear sound without distortion (not looking for unrealistic performance figures if you know what I mean) and able to read most movie formats from a USB/external HDD.

Any suggestions?
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 15:49   #7457
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,949 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

When it comes to reliability and track record of innovation in picture and sound Sony has been known for both the longest. Now when you say great picture and sound it could be entirely personal opinion, some like very high contrast & quicker refresh rates while others want a more natural picture quality and are ok with normal picture processing.

In general I'd trust Sony to give the most natural picture quality and sound, you will also get a LOT of options to fine tune each aspect to your taste. I just checked the website and in the given models W600A would be a good buy, as it comes with a bass speaker in the back. It is also 200hz, which while people like it, I simply hate it because the faster refresh rates create a fast-forward effect on motion. Again my opinion, the quality of Samsung is almost on par and LG is price-competitive. Reliability of any brand has been quite unpredictable, where some go on for 5 years without trouble and some throw up troubles in under a year.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 16:43   #7458
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Sony may be great but they cannot read many file formats. I don't know if that has changed recently.
How is LG 32LB5820 ? It seems to be laden with features. Anyone has bought it?

Last edited by Blue_V : 28th June 2014 at 16:51.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 19:32   #7459
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 464
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I just checked the website and in the given models W600A would be a good buy, as it comes with a bass speaker in the back. It is also 200hz, which while people like it, I simply hate it because the faster refresh rates create a fast-forward effect on motion.
There is a catch in the terminology used by Sony. The specification states "Motionflow XR 200 hz". This figure does not represent the native refresh rate of the panel. My 48W600B has same specification but the panel, made by Samsung, has 50hz refresh rate. This I found out from service menu and online search. There is a discussion to this effect as well at AVS forum.

Its another matter that I cannot find Motionflow option in my TV. Few people have raised this issue at the Sony community website but no resolution seen.

In any case, higher refresh rate and frame interpolation is supposed to provide smoother motion, not fast forward effect.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 07:57   #7460
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 717
Thanked: 538 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Im looking for 32 inch TV. Im not interested in 3D, internet etc. I just want great picture quality and viewing angles, clear sound without distortion (not looking for unrealistic performance figures if you know what I mean) and able to read most movie formats from a USB/external HDD.

Any suggestions?
Check out Toshiba P2305 model too. I have the 39" version and the picture/sound is great.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 11:18   #7461
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is a catch in the terminology used by Sony. The specification states "Motionflow XR 200 hz". This figure does not represent the native refresh rate of the panel. My 48W600B has same specification but the panel, made by Samsung, has 50hz refresh rate. This I found out from service menu and online search. There is a discussion to this effect as well at AVS forum.
Panels do not have any refresh rate associated with them. Its the logic board which connects to the panel controls the speed at which the pixels should be refreshed. The better the board is, the better the picture quality is.
I have no degrees in electronics but saying based on earlier generations of tvs so, feel free to correct me.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 30th June 2014 at 11:26.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 23:05   #7462
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 464
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Panels do not have any refresh rate associated with them. Its the logic board which connects to the panel controls the speed at which the pixels should be refreshed. The better the board is, the better the picture quality is.
I have no degrees in electronics but saying based on earlier generations of tvs so, feel free to correct me.
Panels do have refresh rate. You may like to read up http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-refresh-rate/ and other trust worthy websites for more detail.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:25   #7463
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Went hunting for a 32" Full HD TV. I wanted to evaluate LG 32 5820, Samsung 32 H5500, Sony 32 W700. I found their 40 inch variants side by side in chroma. LG's colors felt bit unnatural and soft. Samsung and Sony felt more crisper and better colors. After spending sometime with these two, Samsung had more black levels and also lost out on details due to that. Skin tones felt little yellow and warm. Played my USB video, 1.5GB size, video felt too sharp. Sony's skin tones felt more natural. Black levels did not wash out details. USB video looked the best of the three. But Samsung has SMART motion control, which is quite impressive. The camera is free with the 40 inch variant.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:00   #7464
BHPian
 
alter.e.go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I have zeroed in on the Toshiba 29P2305ZE for my room. Toshiba seems to be the only one giving 3 years warranty hence tending towards it
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 09:00   #7465
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,079
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

What's your take on brands like aoc, Haier, onida etc.
The cheaper options.

Purely from a longevity point of view. I'm looking for a 39-42 inch TV for guestroom purposes, so quality of picture, sound etc doesn't need to be exemplary, just adequate.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 22:04   #7466
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Philips will be cheap and yet be able to offer decent PQ & longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What's your take on brands like aoc, Haier, onida etc.
The cheaper options.

Purely from a longevity point of view. I'm looking for a 39-42 inch TV for guestroom purposes, so quality of picture, sound etc doesn't need to be exemplary, just adequate.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 00:43   #7467
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,079
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Philips will be cheap and yet be able to offer decent PQ & longevity.
Alright.
The room will also be a game room, with my old consoles being set up there.
How about a projector?
Are the benq, portronics, Asus,lg ones on eBay and such any good?
I have a Sony soundbox that can take care of the audio.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 00:27   #7468
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Alright.
The room will also be a game room, with my old consoles being set up there.
How about a projector?
Are the benq, portronics, Asus,lg ones on eBay and such any good?
I have a Sony soundbox that can take care of the audio.

I have an optoma HD ready model and it's great. Been using it since 2008, so far so good.
A friend has a benq and it's neat as well.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:50   #7469
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,079
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have an optoma HD ready model and it's great. Been using it since 2008, so far so good.
A friend has a benq and it's neat as well.
Which one from optoma?
I checked them out, and they were quite high priced, and also only found them on amazon.com.

Benq is available on quite a few websites. Which one does your friend use?
What is the minimum spec I should go for?Most of the ones, any brand, I have seen are native res 800x600.That will not do for most purposes, would it?

I am willing to spend upto the cost of a budget 42 inch LED, which comes to about 30-35k.

If not, do plasmas make any kind of sense in this day?
Longevity wise.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 11:21   #7470
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Which one from optoma?
I checked them out, and they were quite high priced, and also only found them on amazon.com.

Benq is available on quite a few websites. Which one does your friend use?
What is the minimum spec I should go for?Most of the ones, any brand, I have seen are native res 800x600.That will not do for most purposes, would it?

I am willing to spend upto the cost of a budget 42 inch LED, which comes to about 30-35k.

If not, do plasmas make any kind of sense in this day?
Longevity wise.
I have the Optoma HD70. My friend has a Benq short throw one was approx 80K or so. The bulb of a projector has a life of about 2000 hours typically. The cost is usually 10K and above for a replacement bulb. So it is not a replacement for a TV, but for occasional viewing.
Minimum you should get a HD ready projector if not a full HD.

Plasmas are quite popular here on this forum. I personally have 2 LCDs and one LED. My FIL has a Hitachi Plasma - 42 or 40 inch and it has been doing well for about 6 years now. You should check the grey market for direct imports. I recently got my friend a full smart Samsung 40 LED, I think the model was 6400 and it cost him 43.5K from the Chennai grey market. Similarly the non-smart ones are significantly lower.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks