Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 18:55   #7666
BANNED
 
Kool_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 165
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Got LG 49LB5510 for 55,000 for my lil sis . she is very happy but need to put in HD box to enjoy to full extent
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 19:30   #7667
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 840 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Can somebody help me figure out whether I can attach a 2.1 sound system to Philips 50PFL4758 (50" model) through our regular 3 mm jack? If not are there convertors which will allow 3mm jack for sound system and some other jack for this TV?

Also, does a 14 bit processor as opposed to 10 bit processor make the viewing better? The trade-off in Philips is that the processor is 10 bit while refresh rate is 120 Hz and Videocon has 14 bit processor but the refresh rate is unknown (assuming its 60 Hz)
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 08:30   #7668
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 492
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Have the following,
1. Samsung LCD 40"
2. Yamaha HT
3. PS3
4. Airtel HD

Since my kid is now grown and wants to watch his favourite movies all the time, I am now looking for a TV for myself/wifey.

This being the holiday season, can see many offers and believe this would be the right time to purchase one.

What am I looking for?

Need: Any TV > 40" and should play movies from my Ext. HDD

1. Plasma. If yes, brand and model no.
2. LED. If yes, brand and model no.
3. 3D LED. If yes, brand and model no.

Not looking at Smarter TV, for which we have all Apple products at home
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 09:42   #7669
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,773
Thanked: 9,342 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can somebody help me figure out whether I can attach a 2.1 sound system to Philips 50PFL4758 (50" model) through our regular 3 mm jack? If not are there convertors which will allow 3mm jack for sound system and some other jack for this TV?
It has a composite audio (RCA) input on the side:

Name:  AV.png
Views: 1086
Size:  190.9 KB

You will need a 3.5 mm TRS to RCA cable to connect your 2.1 system to the RCA out.

Image courtesy: Flipkart
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 09:43   #7670
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,419
Thanked: 2,063 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can somebody help me figure out whether I can attach a 2.1 sound system to Philips 50PFL4758 (50" model) through our regular 3 mm jack? If not are there convertors which will allow 3mm jack for sound system and some other jack for this TV?
Do you mean the 3.5mm jack?

There are RCA to 3.5mm adapters that will let you hook up the 2.1 system to the TV that doesn't have the 3.5mm out. Something like this - http://www.ebay.in/itm/like/151523092356

You also get the optical out to 3.5mm converters but those are relatively costlier.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 10:24   #7671
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 3,308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post



You also get the optical out to 3.5mm converters but those are relatively costlier.
Also, they're useless. At least the stuff available in Indian sites.
I've tried three powered devices, from 1k to 4k, and I get worse output than the TV speakers. I'm thinking of getting a optical to bt converter from the US, but would love to hear from someone who's got a reliable optical to 3.5mm converter in use.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 14:27   #7672
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 163 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Our Philips TV had this 'not so popular' SPDIF OUT. Never got the cable to connect it to home theatre. Stockists haven't even heard of SPDIF.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-philips-spdif.jpg  

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 18:56   #7673
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,419
Thanked: 2,063 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Also, they're useless. At least the stuff available in Indian sites.
Well, that takes them out of reckoning then.

I have no personal experience with the optical out adapter. I have only used the RCA adapter - that works fine. At least there is no perceptible degradation of the sound quality compared to the stock TV speakers.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 23:26   #7674
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 468
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Also, they're useless. At least the stuff available in Indian sites.
I've tried three powered devices, from 1k to 4k, and I get worse output than the TV speakers. I'm thinking of getting a optical to bt converter from the US, but would love to hear from someone who's got a reliable optical to 3.5mm converter in use.
Instead of trusting an external digital analogue converter is it not better to stick to analogue through and through. Most TVs have analogue output anyway, like composite AV out. So I would rather use RCA to 3.5mm connector because there is no signal conversion involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our Philips TV had this 'not so popular' SPDIF OUT. Never got the cable to connect it to home theatre. Stockists haven't even heard of SPDIF.
Where there is no other digital audio out option I find SPDIF out through RCA connector to be very good choice. You get digital signal to your sound processor through a simple RCA cable.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 23:52   #7675
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 432
Thanked: 646 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Have the following,
1. Samsung LCD 40"
2. Yamaha HT
3. PS3
4. Airtel HD

Since my kid is now grown and wants to watch his favourite movies all the time, I am now looking for a TV for myself/wifey.

This being the holiday season, can see many offers and believe this would be the right time to purchase one.

What am I looking for?

Need: Any TV > 40" and should play movies from my Ext. HDD

1. Plasma. If yes, brand and model no.
2. LED. If yes, brand and model no.
3. 3D LED. If yes, brand and model no.

Not looking at Smarter TV, for which we have all Apple products at home
I recently bought a few TV's for my house. One of them would be suitable for you. Sony 40R482B Led tv. Costs around 50k. Has all the features except the smart ones. Even has built in WiFi. And looks good too.
In case you are looking for a bigger one, have a look at the 46/47" models from Sony. I have a 47W850A as well. Costed me less than 90k becuase of a great offer about 6 months back. It is a 3D led tv with smart tv features. Do note that viewing distance makes a big difference in case of a big tv. The minimum distance should be around 5 times the width of the TV.

Hope this helps
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 07:36   #7676
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It has a composite audio (RCA) input on the side:
....
You will need a 3.5 mm TRS to RCA cable to connect your 2.1 system to the RCA out.
The RCA sockets on the TV are inputs; you have said so yourself.
How can these be used to connect a 2.1 audio system to the TV?
If there are any RCA output sockets, they are not shown in that picture.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 08:05   #7677
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,773
Thanked: 9,342 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The RCA sockets on the TV are inputs; you have said so yourself.
How can these be used to connect a 2.1 audio system to the TV?
If there are any RCA output sockets, they are not shown in that picture.
They are outputs. It was a typo. Check out the description in the sticker adjacent to it. It says AV OUT. Sounds good now?
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 09:05   #7678
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
... It says AV OUT. Sounds good now?
Indeed it does!
Sorry, I could not read the sticker.
This is a rare feature on TVs today, to have an analogue audio output. Only a few carry a headphones output.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 09:44   #7679
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 492
Thanked: 114 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I recently bought a few TV's for my house. One of them would be suitable for you. Sony 40R482B Led tv. Costs around 50k. Has all the features except the smart ones. Even has built in WiFi. And looks good too.
In case you are looking for a bigger one, have a look at the 46/47" models from Sony. I have a 47W850A as well. Costed me less than 90k becuase of a great offer about 6 months back. It is a 3D led tv with smart tv features. Do note that viewing distance makes a big difference in case of a big tv. The minimum distance should be around 5 times the width of the TV.

Hope this helps
Sony, does this has the same restrictions in video playing formats? It had in 2010 when I bought my LCD, the shop keepers shooed away me from Sony citing the same reason. Samsung, the one which I have plays whatever format I throw at it. I am looking for > 40" TV and I am aware of the viewing distance. Present house has more than 15ft.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 11:16   #7680
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,773
Thanked: 9,342 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our Philips TV had this 'not so popular' SPDIF OUT. Never got the cable to connect it to home theatre. Stockists haven't even heard of SPDIF.
It uses a simple coaxial cable. But does your HT system have a coaxial SPDIF input?
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks