Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 14:55   #7696
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 92 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Those are awesome prices. Which website is it? Definitively visit a store and give them the counter price. I did the same with Giria's and he matched the online price. Also got 0% interest EMI for 1 year.
Hi Paresh,

Thats Flipkart, they have offers running on these models. But since I was not convinced somehow to buy a big-a** TV online and hold my breath till delivery and install, I visited stores and Devi was great. The guy Shahid I met was knowledgeable and claim and explained the features well.

After in-store checking with my movies off my pendrives and downloaded 3D clips and all, I have decided on LG 47 LB6700 instead of the 6500. The 6700 is slimmer, has better refresh rate and better speakers as per specs and I liked it almost rim-less design on 3 sides.

Also, saw the difference in Active and Passive 3D and must say LG passive flicker-free version is my preference. Samsung's Active 3D needs comparatively bulkier and expensive glasses. Another issues I found with the latest Samsung and Sony Triluminous panels was the colors were over-saturated and looked fake to my eye. But this preference could vary from person to person.

Oh and BTW, the final price I got from Devi is 83K for the 6700 and around 80k for 6500. Flipkart rates I posted earlier includes 10k exchange for old TV, 10% off on 6500 only (not available on 6700 that I want). Without these offers 6700 on flipkart is 89500 compared to the 83000. And I think my old TV will fetch more than 10K if I sell it on OLX or something.

Last edited by Zenster : 14th January 2015 at 14:59.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 15:21   #7697
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Oh and BTW, the final price I got from Devi is 83K for the 6700 and around 80k for 6500. Flipkart rates I posted earlier includes 10k exchange for old TV, 10% off on 6500 only (not available on 6700 that I want). Without these offers 6700 on flipkart is 89500 compared to the 83000. And I think my old TV will fetch more than 10K if I sell it on OLX or something.
Please take extended warranty if you have the option. Sometimes the manufacturer will provide it to you even if your dealer doesnt. Samsung does that and so I am guessing LG might too.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 10:07   #7698
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I recently purchased an LG 42LB5510 42" LED-LCD tv for Rs 42k. It's an IPS panel and the colours are really nice. However, I can notice some amount of motion blur in sports, especially cricket. Since, I have upgraded from a CRT the motion blur is even more apparent to me. Perhaps I need to get used to it.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 17:39   #7699
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 486
Thanked: 300 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a 40 - 42 inch LED Smart TV.
I was offered the Panasonic 42A5630 for 50K if I bought it today (Republic Day Offer) and the Samsung 40H5500 for 60K.
Does anyone have any experience with these two models.
The sales guy is pushing the Panasonic over the Samsung.
What do you guys think?
As there was no Internet connection in the shop I was not able to check the Smart TV capability.
Previous Panasonics have been known to be poor in the Smart department.
Any advise would be welcome but need it soon as I have to finalise the deal this evening.
The TV is used for watching HD TV, movies and PS4 games.
My current TV is a Samsung Plasma.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 20:02   #7700
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 274
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Guys I am in the market for a large LED (47"-50") TV. It will be placed in my drawing room to replace a Samsung Full HD LCD purchased in 2010.

My use cases are:

#1 Play movies off USB 1TB HD
#2 TV from Airtel HD Set top box
#3 Occasional XBOX/Kinect play

I am very very happy with my current Samsung, so biased towards the brand. Off late torrents are available in hi-res, and I have noticed performance issues in playing these videos - I am assuming the new TV will have to be OK on this count.

Samsung 48" Smart TV (non-3D) is available at a street price of 73-74K. Interestingly it comes with Airtel set top box built it. Which is appealing as it frees up one power socket and HDMI port, aside from less cables to deal with.

Sony 48" is available at a similar street price. It does not have smart features, but sports WiFi for sharing.

I saw Micromax 50" and it is available at 40K - tempted

Thoughts and suggestions please.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 19:55   #7701
vij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 261
Thanked: 51 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Posting here after my new thread got deleted asking me to search before posting. I assume I was asked to post in an existing thread. This is the only match I found.


Guys, I am devastated. My Samsung 64 F8500 plasma TV has died on me just after 1 year warranty. Has sound but no picture.

1. It started around the 11th month where the TV would only give out the sound(no picture) once in a while - this happened once every 20 starts or so.

2. Around the 13th month, the TV wouldn't start once in a while(1 in 5 starts) but would eventually start within a min... This delay extended sometimes to 5 min by the 14 month.

3. Now, after 16 months, it just wont show picture and only gives the sound. The weird part is that even the sound comes in ONLY after about a minute of the power light blink.

Here is the video I made showing my problem


Samsung India have a section where we can send complaint email to the executive management - I am doing that now with a link to my video. Not holding my breath - but I am not going to splurge 80k servicing a TV that's just over a year old without some fight.

Samsung India service asking to change panel and quoted 80k with the TV just out of warranty

Last edited by vij : 1st February 2015 at 20:12.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 21:07   #7702
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,079
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Posting here after my new thread got deleted asking me to search before posting. I assume I was asked to post in an existing thread. This is the only match I found.
Since you're out of warranty, and you didn't have Samsung look at it (presumably) when you faced this issue in the 11th month, no amount of fighting is going to help.
You would be better off having a local mech look at it.
Why I responded is because I had a similar issue with my LG about 2 years back. LG told me that the panel is kaput, and would cost about 35 K to fix. My local mech came in, opened the back, removed some deposits on the flat connecting cable between the panel and the power supply, and it's been going strong since.
Panel at fault is a typical knee jerk from authorised guys. They know it's a win win for them. They'll wring you with the repair cost, or throw in some exchange for a new unit.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st February 2015 at 22:58. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our mobile users.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 21:39   #7703
vij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 261
Thanked: 51 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Since you're out of warranty, and you didn't have Samsung look at it (presumably) when you faced this issue in the 11th month, no amount of fighting is going to help.
You would be better off having a local mech look at it.
Why I responded is because I had a similar issue with my LG about 2 years back. LG told me that the panel is kaput, and would cost about 35 K to fix. My local mech came in, opened the back, removed some deposits on the flat connecting cable between the panel and the power supply, and it's been going strong since.
Panel at fault is a typical knee jerk from authorised guys. They know it's a win win for them. They'll wring you with the repair cost, or throw in some exchange for a new unit.
Thanks Mayank. Il do that.

During the warranty period the problem was very very rare but very real.

When Samsung service first arrived, the TV was just out of warranty but still in a condition where it eventually would start alright - so they said it could be the power supply and replaced the power supply. It made no difference. Then they replaced motherboard - no difference.

They took both new parts back ofcourse - and suggested to replace panel for 80k after discount(ya right). I declined this suggestion especially since the TV was still starting alright (eventually).

But since the past few days nothing but sound - even that kicks in after almost a minute. Unbelievably, sometimes the TV volume goes to zero by itself and I have to ramp it up to get "sound" (no picture)

Last edited by vij : 1st February 2015 at 21:41.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 22:45   #7704
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,141
Thanked: 2,778 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
When Samsung service first arrived, the TV was just out of warranty but still in a condition where it eventually would start alright - so they said it could be the power supply and replaced the power supply. It made no difference. Then they replaced motherboard - no difference.
Quote:
since the past few days nothing but sound - even that kicks in after almost a minute. Unbelievably, sometimes the TV volume goes to zero by itself and I have to ramp it up to get "sound" (no picture)
Such things used to happen all the time in CRT days many years back , faults which come after some time are relatively harder to find than outright failures . As suggested by Mayankk , get this checked outside . Try to find someone knowledgeable , most likely this has to do something with Power supply / circuitry rather the panel irrespective of samsung service technicians analysis .
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:07   #7705
BHPian
 
avimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Posting here after my new thread got deleted asking me to search before posting. I assume I was asked to post in an existing thread. This is the only match I found.


Guys, I am devastated. My Samsung 64 F8500 plasma TV has died on me just after 1 year warranty. Has sound but no picture.

1. It started around the 11th month where the TV would only give out the sound(no picture) once in a while - this happened once every 20 starts or so.

2. Around the 13th month, the TV wouldn't start once in a while(1 in 5 starts) but would eventually start within a min... This delay extended sometimes to 5 min by the 14 month.

3. Now, after 16 months, it just wont show picture and only gives the sound. The weird part is that even the sound comes in ONLY after about a minute of the power light blink.

Here is the video I made showing my problem


Samsung India have a section where we can send complaint email to the executive management - I am doing that now with a link to my video. Not holding my breath - but I am not going to splurge 80k servicing a TV that's just over a year old without some fight.

Samsung India service asking to change panel and quoted 80k with the TV just out of warranty
I too had a bad experience with Samsung TV as my TV went dead just after warranty period and samsung service demanded Rs 50,000 for replacing panel. I tried to escalate but in vain. wishing good luck to you.

There is a need to control this as TV are getting costly but warranty period still remains 1 year and post warranty they demand any amount of money. Govt. needs to make some rules to guard consumers. I am not sure if consumer forum will help in case of out of warranty period.
avimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:45   #7706
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 679
Thanked: 710 Times
Default

Reading all these "replace panel" advice's by service guys got me thinking. So if an LCD TV goes bad, its better to throw it away and get a new one, right?

My friend had asked me for advice to buy a new 40-42 inch TV. While I found Samsung TVs to be having better reviews saw that they are developing panel issues quite often. With one year warranty, you are on your own after that.

Then I came across Philips, who is giving 3years warranty. And at a price that is almost 10k lower than Samsung.

Am wondering what the catch here is. How are they able to give 3 years warranty that too at a lower price?
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:05   #7707
vij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 261
Thanked: 51 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I too had a bad experience with Samsung TV as my TV went dead just after warranty period and samsung service demanded Rs 50,000 for replacing panel. I tried to escalate but in vain. wishing good luck to you.

There is a need to control this as TV are getting costly but warranty period still remains 1 year and post warranty they demand any amount of money. Govt. needs to make some rules to guard consumers. I am not sure if consumer forum will help in case of out of warranty period.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you spend 50k to get it fixed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Reading all these "replace panel" advice's by service guys got me thinking. So if an LCD TV goes bad, its better to throw it away and get a new one, right?
I wish I could. The TV cost was 1.86lac. 80k will only get me a different kind of TV :(

Last edited by vij : 2nd February 2015 at 10:07.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:35   #7708
BHPian
 
avimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

[quote=vij;3636139]Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you spend 50k to get it fixed?


No I didn't fix it yet. This TV costed me Rs 1 lac some three years ago. We can get better speced TV under Rs 80,000 these days. I am TV less for many months now. It is good in a way that I am spending less time on TV and more time with family.
avimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 13:45   #7709
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,901
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Then I came across Philips, who is giving 3years warranty. And at a price that is almost 10k lower than Samsung. How are they able to give 3 years warranty that too at a lower price?
Some points to note. Philips is now manufactured by Videocon. Videocon offer the same warranty on their TV's too. In fact, in the month of December 2014, they offered a 3+2 year extended warranty. It is surely not the best tv on the market but good value.

If you look close at the rear panel of a Videocon and Philips, there is no difference. It is just the front bezel that is different and the OSD graphics.

I have a 40" Videocon as my bedroom tv. Uses a VA panel, not the IPS one. There is a cost saving right here. To be frank, I don't miss an IPS panel. The VA panel on this Videocon has minimal reflection and the black levels are superb for a low cost tv. It is a no frills tv. No smart, no wi fi or ethernet, Hdmi 1.3 or lower I guess. There are problems though. HD content is good but SD content is hopeless on this tv and the same goes for the Philips of the same size. Colours are washed out and its as if there is rendering taking place on the panel. Motion is not handled all that well. Video content played back from the USB port is horrible. 8gb downloaded content looks like a video cd. The lowest and worst possible decoder is used. They have cut corners. However, for casual tv watching, it does the job.

I have no idea what gives them the confidence to sell tv's at a much lower cost and offer good warranty. Don't fall for the warranty alone. There is a big difference in the product too.

There is no Philips Tv sold in India today that lives up to the original Holland Philips.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th February 2015 at 14:09.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 15:47   #7710
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 679
Thanked: 710 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Some points to note. Philips is now manufactured by Videocon. Videocon offer the same warranty on their TV's too. In fact, in the month of December 2014, they offered a 3+2 year extended warranty. It is surely not the best tv on the market but good value.

If you look close at the rear panel of a Videocon and Philips, there is no difference. It is just the front bezel that is different and the OSD graphics.

I have a 40" Videocon as my bedroom tv. Uses a VA panel, not the IPS one. There is a cost saving right here. To be frank, I don't miss an IPS panel. The VA panel on this Videocon has minimal reflection and the black levels are superb for a low cost tv. It is a no frills tv. No smart, no wi fi or ethernet, Hdmi 1.3 or lower I guess. There are problems though. HD content is good but SD content is hopeless on this tv and the same goes for the Philips of the same size. Colours are washed out and its as if there is rendering taking place on the panel. Motion is not handled all that well. Video content played back from the USB port is horrible. 8gb downloaded content looks like a video cd. The lowest and worst possible decoder is used. They have cut corners. However, for casual tv watching, it does the job.

I have no idea what gives them the confidence to sell tv's at a much lower cost and offer good warranty. Don't fall for the warranty alone. There is a big difference in the product too.

There is no Philips Tv sold in India today that lives up to the original Holland Philips.
Many thanks for the feedback. My friend is a casual viewer but after reading the above, I wouldn't recommend him to buy the Philips. Especially since he would be playing downloaded movies via the USB port.

He was willing to spend up to 50K but I was fixated with the 3 year warranty thing. Probably I'd ask him to get the Samsung and spend some money to get an extended warranty from Croma.

Thanks again.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks