Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 19:17   #7801
BHPian
 
vipul_singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BLR / Lucknow
Posts: 404
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

50 inches is quite suitable for a typical urban flat type of room for HD Channels.

I would like to share my experience with Micromax 50" LED TV. Have been using this for about 4 months now. Paid INR 39000 for it at Croma, including a Philips soundbar thrown in for "free". Prices on the internet were in the region of INR 34K (excluding the "free" soundbar).

Have been quite satisfied with the product. The best part being that even for such an inexpensive product, it is still able to play high bandwidth Full HD movies without any problems (limited to 30 fps, though). The biggest file I have played on it was 9 GB mkv for a 2 hr 30 mins movie (2001 A Space Odyssey, in case you are wondering why I wanted a large file) and it ran smoothly. It is also able to recognize .srt subtitle files.

The TV also performs well in terms of colour saturation, lighting uniformity etc. I have not tested input lag yet, however.

Downsides? Well the remote looks basic and the menu is not full HD, leading to jaggies. Oh and almost all SD channels look awful in that screen size

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! I am thinking of buying another one, actually.

On a separate note, it turns out that even the best HD channels in India are broadcasting at approximately half the bandwidth recommended by Adobe for h.264 encoding. That is why I could not notice the difference between an INR 1.5 lakh Sony / Samsung and the 34K Micromax in the showroom. The signal itself is crap. The best ones are NatGeo HD and Discovery HD running at around 12 Mbps, if the internetz is to be believed. Adobe recommends over 20 Mbps. That is why on any HDTV, no matter how expensive, you would be able to see compression artifacts from up close.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 11th June 2015 at 19:23.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 01:21   #7802
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
50 inches is quite suitable for a typical urban flat type of room for HD Channels.

I would like to share my experience with Micromax 50" LED TV. Have been using this for about 4 months now. Paid INR 39000 for it at Croma, including a Philips soundbar thrown in for "free". Prices on the internet were in the region of INR 34K (excluding the "free" soundbar).

Have been quite satisfied with the product. The best part being that even for such an inexpensive product, it is still able to play high bandwidth Full HD movies without any problems (limited to 30 fps, though). The biggest file I have played on it was 9 GB mkv for a 2 hr 30 mins movie (2001 A Space Odyssey, in case you are wondering why I wanted a large file) and it ran smoothly. It is also able to recognize .srt subtitle files.

The TV also performs well in terms of colour saturation, lighting uniformity etc. I have not tested input lag yet, however.

Downsides? Well the remote looks basic and the menu is not full HD, leading to jaggies. Oh and almost all SD channels look awful in that screen size

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! I am thinking of buying another one, actually.

On a separate note, it turns out that even the best HD channels in India are broadcasting at approximately half the bandwidth recommended by Adobe for h.264 encoding. That is why I could not notice the difference between an INR 1.5 lakh Sony / Samsung and the 34K Micromax in the showroom. The signal itself is crap. The best ones are NatGeo HD and Discovery HD running at around 12 Mbps, if the internetz is to be believed. Adobe recommends over 20 Mbps. That is why on any HDTV, no matter how expensive, you would be able to see compression artifacts from up close.
Many thanks. This is very timely. I have two questions:
a. What about Vu 55"? It seems to be around 55k or so. It has decent FK reviews as well.
b. Our worry is kids' channels. Will they look terrible on the 50" screen since they are all in SD right now. Our son is our heaviest TV consumer!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 01:38   #7803
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

My friend is looking for a 32" tv within 25k, what are his options? Would like to ignore really cheap brands (sansui etc). How good are Onida and Toshiba, also what price do they come by?
y448 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 02:09   #7804
BHPian
 
vipul_singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BLR / Lucknow
Posts: 404
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Many thanks. This is very timely. I have two questions:
a. What about Vu 55"? It seems to be around 55k or so. It has decent FK reviews as well.
b. Our worry is kids' channels. Will they look terrible on the 50" screen since they are all in SD right now. Our son is our heaviest TV consumer!
For SD Channels, I would recommend a CRT TV of around 29" size, which should cost no more than INR 10K these days. Else, go for 32" LCD. SD channels up close on a big LCD TV set look baaaaddd if you are a discerning viewer and that is primarily down to how faithfully LCD TVs reproduce compression artifacts (which CRT TVs smooth out). I still have a CRT in another room, BTW.

I don't have specific feedback on Vu, although I know they are a much smaller organization than Micromax. I bought the Micromax TV on a whim after going through online ratings and seeing negligible / no difference in picture reproduction compared to big brands at the TV store.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 12th June 2015 at 02:13.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 11:11   #7805
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
For SD Channels, I would recommend a CRT TV of around 29" size, which should cost no more than INR 10K these days. Else, go for 32" LCD. SD channels up close on a big LCD TV set look baaaaddd if you are a discerning viewer and that is primarily down to how faithfully LCD TVs reproduce compression artifacts (which CRT TVs smooth out). I still have a CRT in another room, BTW.

I don't have specific feedback on Vu, although I know they are a much smaller organization than Micromax. I bought the Micromax TV on a whim after going through online ratings and seeing negligible / no difference in picture reproduction compared to big brands at the TV store.
Thanks we already have an awesome Panasonic 29" TV with outstanding sound quality. We're planning on changing it ..... because everyone and their dog owns a LCD TV these days.

I want a 50/55" after watching some awesome FHD content at a friend's place in HK recently. 32" TVs aren't anywhere as fun - but I have to keep my son in mind, hence the doubt.

Guess we're back to square one then!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 11:47   #7806
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks we already have an awesome Panasonic 29" TV with outstanding sound quality. We're planning on changing it ..... because everyone and their dog owns a LCD TV these days.

I want a 50/55" after watching some awesome FHD content at a friend's place in HK recently. 32" TVs aren't anywhere as fun - but I have to keep my son in mind, hence the doubt.

Guess we're back to square one then!
If 42" is OK for you then you can look at the 4KTV from LG 42UB820T. It is an outstanding product and total value for money. We got it recently for about 68k. 50" 4K might command price upwards of 1Lac. So depending on your budget you can consider one of the two.

As for content, you can always stream FHD content. Anyways the number of FHD channels is growing very fast and in no time you should have all your favorite channels in FHD.

Last edited by joslicx : 12th June 2015 at 11:49.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 13:49   #7807
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 255
Thanked: 205 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks we already have an awesome Panasonic 29" TV with outstanding sound quality. We're planning on changing it ..... because everyone and their dog owns a LCD TV these days.

I want a 50/55" after watching some awesome FHD content at a friend's place in HK recently. 32" TVs aren't anywhere as fun - but I have to keep my son in mind, hence the doubt.

Guess we're back to square one then!
I came back from abroad recently and settled in Pune.
After lots of research i decided to go for 55 inch minimum as my viewing distance is 14 feet.
I was earlier using 28 inch samsung LCD bought in 2005 but sold it off before i went abroad.

I finalized Samsung 55H6400 / 55H7000, Sony 55W950B and LG 49UB850T.
I searched these models for 3 days in different shops and compared (Croma, Reliance digital and Vijay Sales).

After lots of side by side comparison, i finalized Samsung 55H6400.
This model is replaced with new J series model in 2015 but mostly curved models. I didn't want to go for curved ones. normal 55 inch was only available in J7000 series which was quite costly in comparison to H6400.
H6400 made sense quality and money wise.

i finally bought 55H6400 for 1.2 Lakhs from samsung exclusive store (negotiated from 1.3 Lakhs). This same model was also available in Croma as display piece which they were ready to give at 95k but this piece had 3240 running hours which translates in around 9 months (considering 12 hours per day running in showroom).

I also got 3.5k INR worth of points to use with bookmyshow and others.
I also had offer for 10k off on purchase of any samsung soundbar. as sound quality was not good, i took this offer and bought samsung soundbar HW-F450 (original cost 20k negotiated lil bit + 10k off. final cost came to 8k. Sound quality is much improved.

I didn't like LG 49UB850T as the picture was quite soft even after having latest firmware and adjusting picture settings, i couldn't get the sharpness compared to samsung. but magic remote and webOS was fantastic.

Sony had too much saturated colors and bit soft colors in comparison to Samsung.

Samsung had very good sharpness and picture details. Colors were more natural than Sony.

I specifically watched SAB channel on this tv in shop and quality was good for SD channel.

I only regret my decision of not going with 60 inch.

Last edited by Nicky : 12th June 2015 at 13:51.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 19:20   #7808
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,690
Thanked: 2,737 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I have a 42" Samsung LED HDTV; what are the best sound settings for the TV. The TV is at its default settings at the moment and I find the sound to be sub-par; the voice isn't clear at low volumes and then it suddenly gets too loud.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 22:01   #7809
BHPian
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 381
Thanked: 136 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Sony has finally launched TV's with Android Software. Does it make any impact apart from integration with our Android Devices? Are we missing anything compared to the Old Software ?

Does the Triluminos feature make any difference in Picture quality for a 43 inch TV ? I'm looking at W950 or W800.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 15:14   #7810
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks we already have an awesome Panasonic 29" TV with outstanding sound quality. We're planning on changing it ..... because everyone and their dog owns a LCD TV these days.

I want a 50/55" after watching some awesome FHD content at a friend's place in HK recently. 32" TVs aren't anywhere as fun - but I have to keep my son in mind, hence the doubt.

Guess we're back to square one then!
Some DTH providers and some TV's are known to do better upscaling.
However, the problem with kids is that they come too close to watch the TV.

My son likes to sleep on the floor (around 6 feet diagonally) in front ofthe TV.
I have to remind him again every 15 minutes to get back.

At that distance, SD is generally not watchable on a 50" TV. I have a ST60 plasma from Panasonic.

So, in my opinion, it does NOT matter at all what quality the signal is, kids will still become zombies.

Save your money and buy something else for the kids.

We stopped DTH more than a year ago. I just arrange for movies and let him watch those.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th June 2015 at 15:16.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 19:26   #7811
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 574
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I want a 50/55" after watching some awesome FHD content at a friend's place in HK recently. 32" TVs aren't anywhere as fun - but I have to keep my son in mind, hence the doubt.

Guess we're back to square one then!
Phamilyman (or is it Hitanshu), when we watch channels for grown ups, the difference is huge between SD feed and HD feed. The reason is amount of details (is it depth of field, what you call in photography) captured in the respective resolution. But when it comes to kids programs, especially, the animated series, I don't think it contains a lot of details in the pictures. So even if it is broadcast in HD, it will not improve quality drastically barring let's say the aspect ratio which would change from stretched 4:3 to true 16:9.

So my suggestion, you can go for bigger screen without worrying about the quality of kids channels.

Last edited by shipnil : 26th June 2015 at 19:28.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 19:46   #7812
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 434
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
My friend is looking for a 32" tv within 25k, what are his options? Would like to ignore really cheap brands (sansui etc). How good are Onida and Toshiba, also what price do they come by?
Stretch it by about 2000 and go for the Onida 40 inch LED on Flipkart. I have got one recently.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:10   #7813
vdm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: India
Posts: 55
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Today my old sony 29" crt went kaput. I am in a dilemma which one to buy. There are good offers on plasma, but wondering whether to buy that or go for the LED. Kindly suggest if anyone is an expert in this area of gadgets.
vdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 23:19   #7814
BHPian
 
devilwearsprada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GoonGaon
Posts: 451
Thanked: 685 Times
Default re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Today my old sony 29" crt went kaput. I am in a dilemma which one to buy. There are good offers on plasma, but wondering whether to buy that or go for the LED. Kindly suggest if anyone is an expert in this area of gadgets.
Plasma is an out of date technology, so recommend you to not go for it.
For the LED's, the options are Sony, Samsung, LG and Panasonic.
I have a Samsung LED, and the panel got damaged twice and replaced under warranty. Although the service is good but I am worried what will happen when it goes out of warranty.

If I was in your place, I would pick a Panasonic or Sony.
devilwearsprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 23:26   #7815
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,223
Thanked: 570 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Today my old sony 29" crt went kaput. I am in a dilemma which one to buy. There are good offers on plasma, but wondering whether to buy that or go for the LED. Kindly suggest if anyone is an expert in this area of gadgets.
Picture Quality in plasma is superb. Also the viewing angle is great. Major con is more consumption of electricity. For instance, my 42' Samsung plasma takes 200w electricity where as in my father's 40' Samsung led consumes just 80w. However, whenever I will upgrade will get another plasma just cos of PQ which any day is better than a Led.

For plasma and Led go with SAMSUNG, LG or Panasonic. Don't get Sony. They fail a lot and After warranty period if it fails the expense is so much you will rather buy a new one.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks