Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 15:28   #916
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,262
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post

Im not sure of a plasma as i havent used it but plasma's are better than lcd's when it comes to displaying fast moving pictures,have way better response time.Though plasma's have flaws of their own just like lcd's.
If you are talking about pixelation,motion blur ..then NO!,plasmas dont face this problem.
Thanks, but can you please enlighten me on the typical flaws a plasma tv has? If they are better, then how come most people are going in for lcds nowadays, though they cost more?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 23:07   #917
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,717
Thanked: 7,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
Recently picked up the Samsung LA40R8 for 80k from the samsung shorwoom.Decent picture quality,the design of the lcd is good.
Default video settings are crappy and was very unhappy and regretted buying a lcd but later got the hang of the settings and now the picture quality is decent.Im using Dishtv.Im stressing on decent picture clarity,my 29" samsung slim Crt still has better picture clarity.
The viewing distance from the lcs id close to 12ft and at times ,i get a headache while watching action movies or fast panning shots since the whole shot appears blurred,probably due to the 8ms response time.
One thing is for sure,im not selling my Crt any time soon.
I have exactly the same TV including the size and i got it for 71K ( due to some very attractive schemes during that period). I agree to what you say, the default settings are disgusting and you need to really tune up the settings to make it acceptable. I see that the pixelation is a bit on higher side if your watching it from less than 10ft but the more you move away, the better the clarity becomes. However, i never faced any headache issues while watching fast action sports. Since i use Tata sky, PS3 and BD ROM, i find the clarity amazing to say the least.

Only grouse i have is the sound quality is horrible but, since my sound output is through my Onkyo HT, i don't care a hoot about this issue.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 23:08   #918
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks, but can you please enlighten me on the typical flaws a plasma tv has? If they are better, then how come most people are going in for lcds nowadays, though they cost more?
I dont know too may.You can read the rest of the thread for more info but one glorified flaw is that plasma's suffer from burn-in.If a stationary pic is viewed too long,even if you remove it,you will see a ghost image of it.
To give you an example,if you just watch star news 24x7,the star logo visible on top left/right corner is always stationary and its position does not change irrespective of the content being displayed on the channel.Now if you were to switch to another channel you would still see a hint of the star logo.
The other reason why people are buying lcds is because its a newer technology while plasma's are outdated.Newer technology doesnt necessarily mean better technology.Using that yardstick,crt's are still the best when it comes to picture quality.Also plasmas are available in only 42" and above and most of the people who buy lcd's do so for personal use at homes and dont really go above 40".you will find that 70% of lcd buyers will opt for 32" lcd,as its decently big and cheap as well.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 23:11   #919
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have exactly the same TV including the size and i got it for 71K ( due to some very attractive schemes during that period). I agree to what you say, the default settings are disgusting and you need to really tune up the settings to make it acceptable. I see that the pixelation is a bit on higher side if your watching it from less than 10ft but the more you move away, the better the clarity becomes. However, i never faced any headache issues while watching fast action sports. Since i use Tata sky, PS3 and BD ROM, i find the clarity amazing to say the least.
try watching a bbc top gear video and you will probably experience what im talking about.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 23:14   #920
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,717
Thanked: 7,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
try watching a bbc top gear video and you will probably experience what im talking about.
Is it any different from F1 races that i don't miss? I don't face any issues of headache while watching these races. No offense, maybe you need a check up or something
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 01:15   #921
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I dont know too may.You can read the rest of the thread for more info but one glorified flaw is that plasma's suffer from burn-in.If a stationary pic is viewed too long,even if you remove it,you will see a ghost image of it.
To give you an example,if you just watch star news 24x7,the star logo visible on top left/right corner is always stationary and its position does not change irrespective of the content being displayed on the channel.Now if you were to switch to another channel you would still see a hint of the star logo.
The other reason why people are buying lcds is because its a newer technology while plasma's are outdated.Newer technology doesnt necessarily mean better technology.Using that yardstick,crt's are still the best when it comes to picture quality.Also plasmas are available in only 42" and above and most of the people who buy lcd's do so for personal use at homes and dont really go above 40".you will find that 70% of lcd buyers will opt for 32" lcd,as its decently big and cheap as well.
Burn in is no longer an issue with modern plasmas.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 08:02   #922
Senior - BHPian
 
zenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

Does anyone else get a feeling we're revisiting the same issues, arguments and counter arguments in this thread, of late ? I guess we can now keep this thread's focus on new product launches/price updates etc. What say ?
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 08:13   #923
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,425
Thanked: 19,265 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Does anyone else get a feeling we're revisiting the same issues, arguments and counter arguments in this thread, of late ? I guess we can now keep this thread's focus on new product launches/price updates etc. What say ?
Lol. Yes I was getting the feeling, hence haven't posted on this thread for many days.

ps: I picked up a Sony Bravia 40" D series LCD last month. It's not Full HD but has the motion flow processor which takes care of the motion judder to a good extent. There are 3 modes for the motion flow and it works fine on low and mid, high is really not needed as it gives a slight artificial appearance to the picture.

With Tata-sky the clarity isn't great, which has been discussed here in last few posts due to the 16:9 stretch.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 09:03   #924
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Buying a LCD is became headace now days as loking for Sony but again their LCD panels are made by Samsung, Sharp is good but the model i like was very costly, Philips also have few good stuff but again done by LG, so gave a tought of will wait for another 6 months let the prices will come down further and will buy a Plasma for living room and LCD for my room.
Pioneer is my choice for Plasma, LCD fight is going on between Samsung and Sharp.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 09:56   #925
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

what about panny plasmas - you can get a 42" for 78k odd
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:01   #926
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

LCD's sells more because of better marketing and ignorant customers.

Plasma is expensive to produce hence lower margins for companies, dealers.

Also above 40" Plasmas continue to sell more.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:25   #927
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

i have a colleague who is confused between the vu lcd 70k for 40" and the panasonic plasma 78k for 42"
i have told him it is well known from most reviewers (cnet, etc) that the picture quality is best on rear projections (like the now discontinued sony sxrd) and next in line are plasmas and finally lcds.
Have advised him to forget the vu lcd and go for the 78k panny plasma VIERA TH-42PV70H (can someone confirm if this is top end panny plasma sold in india VIERA TH-42PV70H | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India )

cheers,
j
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:29   #928
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,425
Thanked: 19,265 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
LCD's sells more because of better marketing and ignorant customers.

Plasma is expensive to produce hence lower margins for companies, dealers.

Also above 40" Plasmas continue to sell more.
That has to be a joke. Customers are no longer as ignorant as you think. Just going through this thread should be proof enough for that. There was a time when that was true when PMPO and number of channel was the most important thing for selecting a TV.

I'm speaking from an industry perspective and the only reason LCD's are more dominant now is because the consumer demands it. Plasmas are not really a great step up from the CRT.

LCD's are the way to go but are still not there yet. As with any new technology it takes time to perfect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Have advised him to forget the vu lcd and go for the 78k panny plasma VIERA TH-42PV70H (can someone confirm if this is top end panny plasma sold in india VIERA TH-42PV70H | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India )

cheers,
j
good choice. The PV70 is a fantastic plasma for 74K now at reliance digital.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th April 2008 at 11:34.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 16:02   #929
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Fully agree on the PV70. We did an extensive research on LCD/Plasma's during Diwali. Sony/Samsung/LG/Philips/Panasonic/Sharp.... We found the Sharp LCD's the best of the lot. But they were also the most expensive.However the Panasonic Plasma's were far better than any LCD we saw. We had seen almost exclusively HD stuff on all of them so our comparisons were on similar lines. Inspite of the HD videos the Panasonic Plasma looked far better, clearer and more natural.Prices have dropped from 90K during diwali to around 74K now. Should go down to atleast 60K by Diwali/New year. Thats when I'm going to get it. I can wait for couple more years for LCD to catch up.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 16:17   #930
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Inspite of the HD videos the Panasonic Plasma looked far better, clearer and more natural.Prices have dropped from 90K during diwali to around 74K now. Should go down to atleast 60K by Diwali/New year.
What is the size of this Plasma TV?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks