Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 13:39   #991
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
I am planning to buy panasonic 42in plasma.But the problem is that I cannot choose between PV7 and PV70.Could anyone explain me the difference between the two. The price difference between them is around 12000 rs here in cochin.I heard from one salesman that the resolution is more for PV70.But the specs show no difference.Also I think PV70 has 2 HDMI input as compared to 1 in PV7. Is there any other features that I missed? I can definitely live with a single HDMI...
Cheers
Ch..
They use the same panel AFAIK. Picture quality is identical. The PV7 has a single HDMI input, doesn't have the 1080p scaling, comes in a cheaper shell and is made in China. The PV70 is made in singapore. That is the only difference.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 15:51   #992
BHPian
 
aggressive_anush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: Once
Default

I think the panel source is different too. If you check the specs the number of shades of gradation for the 2 panels is different.
aggressive_anush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 16:25   #993
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

hi guys, are there any 100 hz crt tv's available in the market yet?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 22:27   #994
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Lcd Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
hi guys, are there any 100 hz crt tv's available in the market yet?
I have seen 29" 100 hz crt tv's by Philips about 2 yrs back.
But I guess they have stopped manufacturing these now, Perhaps you can check with some established Philips dealer. If you are lucky they may have some unsold stock.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 22:31   #995
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
They use the same panel AFAIK. Picture quality is identical. The PV7 has a single HDMI input, doesn't have the 1080p scaling, comes in a cheaper shell and is made in China. The PV70 is made in singapore. That is the only difference.
Thanks to all...but where can I compare these two models? In Pana india website PV7 is not listed. Compare india site mentions only 1 HDMI port for PV7
dilipkumar7278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 22:53   #996
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default

^^Just search for TH-42PX7. Thats the international name of the same TV.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 23:21   #997
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
hi guys, are there any 100 hz crt tv's available in the market yet?
I had seen a 29" LG 100hz a couple of months back. MRP 30K-ish , selling for 20k-ish under exchange.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 23:49   #998
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Wink

Glad to see these results. Since I started looking for my camcorder, anything I checked was Panasonic the best. It soon spread to other things they produced and now-a-days only thing I recommend first hand is well, Panasonic.

Looks like they were not famous while they were National for just anything. Quality rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
ConsumerReports rate Panasonic pretty high in their rankings.

According to their latest report,

Best large screen plasma: Panasonic TH-58PZ750U
2nd Best 50' plasma: Panasonic TH-50PZ700U (Pioneer PRO-110FD is 1st)
3rd Best 50' plasma: Panasonic TH-50PZ77U (TH-50PZ750U in 5th spot)
Best Buy 50' plasma: Panasonic TH-50PX75U
Best 42' plasma: Panasonic TH-42PZ77U
Best Buy 42' plasma: Panasonic TH-42PX77U
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 23:55   #999
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Just search for TH-42PX7. Thats the international name of the same TV.
THANKYOU BROTHER....what is your opinion about PV70
cheers
Dilip
dilipkumar7278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:07   #1000
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default

^^Overpriced... i'd rather wait for the PV80 which should hit India anytime now.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:22   #1001
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Overpriced... i'd rather wait for the PV80 which should hit India anytime now.
But then wouldn't they price it in the 90s?

Good thing would be that the remaining stock of PV70s might be available at a much lower price.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:56   #1002
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
The latest engine which we are working on infact will not do anything for input lesser than full HD. It needs 1920X1080 input or the processor simply bypasses and just gives the same signal to the panel from the input. This will be found in all LCD models coming out in Q3 2008.
And you think that will be successful product???
At end of it what's the point of having that TV if you can;t watch standard Def satisfactorily on it (ok say tata sky or dish)?
What is the market size of people who buy TV only for watching HD?

LCD is riding on the HD bandwagon (Full HD LCD is cheaper than Full HD Plasma), but who needs those Full HD sets when there is hardly any Full HD content, and it's not going to change much in next 5 years (all media companies, incl your cable guy has to upgrade, thats a huge investment).

From my visits to US, I see that high def is still yet to catch on there. And even movies continue to largely be in DVD format only!

And talking about detail and clarity, plasmas come in full HD too. So you need to compare apples to apples.

Talking about skin colour tone, most of the current gen TV still use 8bit or 10 bit color reproduction, whereas most popular plasmas do 16 bit. That's 2^10 vs 2^16 and that's lot of difference, which the eye can perceive.

And believe me those HD resolution on LCD is still hog wash. it's fine for static/slow moving images, but when fast motion is concerned, you get only about 1/3 of it visible, rest goes away in motion blurr. This is proven and there are now new measurements evolving for measuring resolution for motion.


Quote:
New products launched are Sony's new W400A with full HD and a contrast ratio of 30,000:1. This is the basic Full HD version with no picture processing just the full HD 1920X1080 panel. It's priced at Rs.1,19,900 mrp.
These contrast numbers are dynamic contrast numbers and they are very much equivalent to PMPO of audio, i.e. they do not contribute much to picture quality
Talking about native contrast an LCD has 3000 range compared to 15000 for common plasma.
In fact pioneer has made a concept plasma model with infinite contrast ratio...



No offense, but You seem to be working for some LCD TV mfg company
it might help to put some disclaimer with your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos
^^Overpriced... i'd rather wait for the PV80 which should hit India anytime now.
Yes Yes I have been waiting for it. Any news when is it coming and at what price...?
I am sure it will come before Beijing Olympics as Pana is sponsoring that. But still when...

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd April 2008 at 02:52. Reason: Posts merged.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:08   #1003
BHPian
 
dilipkumar7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: COCHIN
Posts: 382
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Pv70 Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Overpriced... i'd rather wait for the PV80 which should hit India anytime now.
ROC
Do you or anyone have any idea when the PV80 will come...I sold my Samsung 29 CRT one week back for buying PV70.But now I am in two minds.If its coming soon I will wait for it...but how long is the question...
Also the PV80 will definitely be priced higher may be 1L or more.I may not be able to afford that much...
Cheers
dilipkumar7278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:10   #1004
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,386
Thanked: 19,137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
And you think that will be successful product???
Yup I guess it already is. Current market requirement I read was 2 million units for this before beijing olympics and another 2 million by year end.

Quote:
At end of it what's the point of having that TV if you can;t watch standard Def satisfactorily on it (ok say tata sky or dish)?
What is the market size of people who buy TV only for watching HD?

LCD is riding on the HD bandwagon (Full HD LCD is cheaper than Full HD Plasma), but who needs those Full HD sets when there is hardly any Full HD content, and it's not going to change much in next 5 years (all media companies, incl your cable guy has to upgrade, thats a huge investment).
HD content should be available in India by the end of this year may be Q1 next year. There a few companies which are already testing it here at present.

Quote:
And talking about detail and clarity, plasmas come in full HD too. So you need to compare apples to apples.
Yes they do but we should also compare them on price. Full HD plasma is much more expensive than the LCD counterpart.


Quote:
And believe me those HD resolution on LCD is still hog wash. it's fine for static/slow moving images, but when fast motion is concerned, you get only about 1/3 of it visible, rest goes away in motion blurr. This is proven and there are now new measurements evolving for measuring resolution for motion.
It was hogwash a long time back. Like I said the new range expected to eb launched Q3 this year will change that.


Quote:
These contrast numbers are dynamic contrast numbers and they are very much equivalent to PMPO of audio, i.e. they do not contribute much to picture quality
Talking about native contrast an LCD has 3000 range compared to 15000 for common plasma.
In fact pioneer has made a concept plasma model with infinite contrast ratio...
Yes but you are forgetting that plasma panels are much more reflective. If your watching in a dimly lit room this may be fine. but if it's a bright room the brightness contrast levels take a huge hit. LCD doesn't have this problem as the panel surface isn't reflective.

Quote:
No offense, but You seem to be working for some LCD TV mfg company
it might help to put some disclaimer with your comments
Sadly I don't work for any LCD TV mfg. Just giving an insight into technical details for these. If I had to give a disclaimer it would then be for any consumer electronics device from cell phones to audio.


Quote:
Yes Yes I have been waiting for it. Any news when is it coming and at what price...?
I am sure it will come before Beijing Olympics as Pana is sponsoring that. But still when...
Almost all brands are looking to launch their new range before the Olympics. I'm sure it should be out by then.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:15   #1005
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

A LG sales guy once mentioned that Plasma panels are physically more durable than LCD panels. The example he gave was, a naughty kid with a pen/sharp object could more easily damage a LCD screen than a Plasma. Any truth in this?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks