Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 19:59   #1216
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I too thought that Full HD was a gimmick BUT I now know that what full HD does is reduces the 'normal viewing distance', or in other words you can get a bigger screen for the same fixed distance that is available in your room. This gives a better 'in the theater effect'.

Full HD can be viewed at 1.5Xdiganol size without seeing any pixelation.

Please do correct me if this impression of mine is wrong.


ABSOLUTELY agree here though.
Well to tell you the truth I've never really been able to audition a 1080p plasma to a 720p plasma of the same range as I just couldn't find any to compare. The only proper 720p vs 1080p comparisons I've done are limited to comparing 720p plasmas vs 1080p LCDs and in that comparison plasmas win by a landslide due to other obvious reason. There may be some truth in 1080p being better but until I'm able to do an extended audition, I can't really be certain.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 20:28   #1217
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,755
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default

guy any idea when lcd prices will drop further? heard there will be offers around when the olympics start? need to buy 2 32" or 1 32" and a 40".
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 20:56   #1218
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Prices may go down on the day after you buy your TV. Seeing the kind of price declines (around 30% per annum), a 10-15% price cut could be there during August-September.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:10   #1219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I need to buy a TV soon (perhaps this week). I am confused between plasma /LCD. I would put this in our bedroom which is not bright. I am inclining towards Plasma. My requirements are 40-42 inch (no less, but can 50 inch work in a 10*15 room), full HD (1080p) and not more than 1-1.25 lakhs. I need some inputs.
Vasudeva,

What is going to be the viewing distance from the wall where the TV is going to mounted? There are posts in earlier pages of this thread on the right viewing distance for different screen sizes. You may want to read them before you decide on the screen size.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:10   #1220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Panasonic 2008 Viera Range of Plasma and LCD Televisions launched in India - TechShout

Read this, Panasonic Plasma TH-42PV80 (42 inch HD ready) and TH-42PV8 (42 inch HD ready) are available at MRP Rs.74,990 and Rs.69,990.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:12   #1221
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Wow thats good pricing! Expect the PV8 to be around 60k then.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:19   #1222
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

ROC: Thanks a lot for your inputs. Then, should I prefer the PV80 (say at 70K, but 1024*768) over PY700 (around 1.2 but 1920*1080). Panasonic is not going to upgrade PY700 to PY800 soon. The news also says that 2 full high definition models, namely, TH-50PY850 and TH-65PY850 are expected to be introduced soon. So no 42PY800 (1920*1080) soon.

I have seen my room and I think 50" inch may be too large for a 10*15 screen. Viewing distance would be in range of 6-9 feet (TV on front wall which is 10 feet from back wall).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:21   #1223
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Yup looks like the PV80 is the screen to buy :-).
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:22   #1224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have seen my room and I think 50" inch may be too large for a 10*15 screen. Viewing distance would be in range of 6-9 feet (TV on front wall which is 10 feet from back wall).
In which case 40" or 42" should be ok.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 21:58   #1225
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Read this, Panasonic Plasma TH-42PV80 (42 inch HD ready) and TH-42PV8 (42 inch HD ready) are available at MRP Rs.74,990 and Rs.69,990.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Wow thats good pricing! Expect the PV8 to be around 60k then.
@roc, didn't get you. PV8 is 69.99. You say 60.

Saw yesterday, that PV7 eZone price is 62K.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 22:03   #1226
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Once the TV is available in quantities, prices will plummet. As it is, Plasma doesn't have a high penetration rate in india... hence means more discounts to folks like us .

The lowest PV7 price I'd seen was 58.5k at croma. Killer deal hehe.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 09:43   #1227
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Yes, people do not run after plasmas the way they run after any new Nokia N series. I must express my gratitude to ROC for helping me in finalising myc choice. Even if he may not like the second one, right now is PV80 (90% chance) and PY700 (10% chance). Perhaps PV80 because it is 40-50K cheaper, I can buy a PV80 now, and buy a full HD after 2-3 years (I have 2 Sony CRT at home and both are planned to be ultimately replaced)
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 10:32   #1228
Senior - BHPian
 
aadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The lowest PV7 price I'd seen was 58.5k at croma. Killer deal hehe.
the pv7 was available for 59k for a long time in hyd. wonder after the introduction of pv8 will the prices drop more for the pv7.

what are the differences between pv7 and pv8 guys?
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 10:47   #1229
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,215
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

PV8 is a newer gen G11 panel (vs the G10 panel in PV7). Deeper blacks, better color reproduction and sharper as well.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 14:44   #1230
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
You are most welcome. But before anything I'd say avoid bose at all costs :-).
LOL, I agree. It is surprising that by BOSE most people mean good sound, when it is actually a lifestyle product with an average sound (like your ipod).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudev
ROC: Thanks a lot for your inputs. Then, should I prefer the PV80 (say at 70K, but 1024*768) over PY700 (around 1.2 but 1920*1080). Panasonic is not going to upgrade PY700 to PY800 soon. The news also says that 2 full high definition models, namely, TH-50PY850 and TH-65PY850 are expected to be introduced soon. So no 42PY800 (1920*1080) soon.
That's a very good piece of advise. On a 42" screen you would not see difference between HD ready and Full HD even from 3 feet distance, so don;t worry much about missing full HD. It is really a marketing gimmick started by LCD gang to move ahead of Plasma.
But why not PV8 and why PV80? IS the only difference of an SD card slot or are there any other differences?

Last edited by ST7677 : 15th July 2008 at 14:52.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks