Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th January 2007, 13:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yep, the speeds are pretty good. last night i downloaded a few videos & at one point the speed was 800 + Kbps. i downloaded about 3gb last night.
Is it 800 + Kbps or KBps ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 15:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have applied online for BSNL BB.. Do I have a hope in hell of getting a connection?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 16:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
i was using limewire & i think it is KBps, not sure, but it was real fast. i could download 10 different programs at good speeds & the total bandwidth used could have been 800 KBps. Not sure though. will check that tonight.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 16:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I have applied online for BSNL BB.. Do I have a hope in hell of getting a connection?
the last time i applied online for BSNL BB, the guys were on my doorstep the very next day. this was in 2004 Feb/March
Old 11th January 2007, 17:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was using limewire & i think it is KBps, not sure, but it was real fast. i could download 10 different programs at good speeds & the total bandwidth used could have been 800 KBps. Not sure though. will check that tonight.
obviously it has to be Kbps. sorry about that
cheers
Old 11th January 2007, 17:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
BTW, I applied online too. But that was when their broadband was introduced...
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 17:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is good move from BSNL, 250 RS for 1GB limit for Home users. 2MBPs speed I feel it needs sometime for slow processing BSNL. I am one of the first users who took BSNL broadband when they launched few years back. I can always see they are always late with their any new stuff launch and different tarrif packages. I am soon planning switch over from 500 RS to 250 RS for my home. In office right now I use AirTel broadband its unlimited aprox. 2200RS is the bill amount speed is 256kbps is the speed but its faster than BSNL's 1 mbps line which I used for years. I also have BSNL backup line thats 1200 RS 4 GB now today sent letter to BSNL office to switch over to 700RS commercial plan.

Moral of the story at last BSNL offered good package!

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 17:55   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
Quote:
Yep, the speeds are pretty good. last night i downloaded a few videos & at one point the speed was 800 + Kbps. i downloaded about 3gb last night.
I thought he got it right the first time, unless you suspected it to be 800KBps...Well, dream on.

Just other day I was downloading something and I saw the download speed to be 1MB/sec. No, not my Airtel connection. I was connected to a client's computer in US via Windows Remote Desktop Connection. Some speed, huh!
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 22:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Downloading some files from Internet right now. I am getting speeds of about 190KBps. Awesome.
Have been so used to look at 64KBps this was pleasant shock for me.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 22:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Downloading some files from Internet right now. I am getting speeds of about 190KBps. Awesome.
That's like 1.52mbps, so these guys weren't kidding about 2Mbps, they are getting close. Damn, I am still stuck with 512kbps.
Old 11th January 2007, 23:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

@samurai...better change to the national carrier now. airtel's services are better than bsnl only in the way some PYT will talk to you, action wise i have experienced a far better service with BSNL There are always some pretty drab & stupid people answering the calls, but the follow up is good, i can assure you that.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 11th January 2007 at 23:25.
Old 12th January 2007, 09:38   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@samurai...better change to the national carrier now. airtel's services are better than bsnl only in the way some PYT will talk to you, action wise i have experienced a far better service with BSNL There are always some pretty drab & stupid people answering the calls, but the follow up is good, i can assure you that.
You presume too much.. I never call Airtel call center, I directly call the cellphone of the local technician for both office and home connection issues. And he usually drops in within 30 minutes, once he showed up in 5 minutes. He is very competent and carries spares (routers, splitters, etc) if replacement is needed.

In Bangalore I had BSNL at home. If I had problems, I could only call via BSNL phone to their call center, and they would give me a ticket number, but no ETA, sometimes it took 2-3 days to solve. If the phone itself was out, there was nothing I could do.

In 3 months our office is shifting to a new building where Airtel is not available. That means we have to use BSNL, whose business plans suck big time. They don't give static IP unless you buy a 5000 rupees plan, that too only one.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:19   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Can u post a screenshot ? still can't believe i think i'll have to swith to bsnl now lol.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 11:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

I too getting almost 2MBPs speed in Vijayangar (Office) and Nagarbhavi (Home), I heard BSNL has upgraded to 2MBPs speed in major cities already
soon they will complete migration in every place.

They called 2007 as Internet year where they want to give broadband even in most of the villages, thats why they have laid so much OFC from last couple of years.

BSNL broadband is very good but they need to further improve in customer service.

For the one who apply for new BSNL broadband connection thereis waiting period upto 4 months. I heard BSNL ran out of hardware and their exchange has to be upgraded to handle
more connections everywhere. Guys hurry up If you wanna BSNL net.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 13th January 2007 at 11:28.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:58   #45

nooooooooooooo...my speeds been reduced to 256kbps...!!mayb they found out that i had the night unlimited plan..awww..this suxxx...jus my luck!!
nyone else here whos gettin the 2mbps speed on his NU plan?
ns_jughead is offline   Reply With Quote