Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th January 2007, 16:27   #46
BHPian

My friend does not own BSNL landline.
He is getting Airtel offer of DSL

Rental : Rs 450/-
Free Transfer : 400 MB
Speed : 256 kbps
extra MB charges : 1.40 /MB
Free Night Time : 9 PM - 8 AM
Free Calls : Rs. 100/-

No need to buy modem/instruments. No modem rental. No landline charges. All in all no other hidden charges. I suggested him this is good offer. As there is no initial investment in form charges/securities. No commitment period.

He is looking for basic surfing and occasional downloading.He does not want to spend much on internet.

What do you suggest guys..
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 16:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_jughead View Post
nooooooooooooo...my speeds been reduced to 256kbps...!!mayb they found out that i had the night unlimited plan..awww..this suxxx...jus my luck!!
nyone else here whos gettin the 2mbps speed on his NU plan?
I'm using the Home 3300 plan which has night unlimited downloads from 2am to 8am.. and i'm still getting speeds upto 260KBps

@ns_jughead: better call up the NIB (National Internet Backbone) exchange in ur city and get this issue sorted out..
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 18:12   #48
BHPian

Since BSNL upgraded plan+speed,my internet connection is behaving differently.Sometime speed falls to 5-6kBps,equal to dial-up and other time it may shoot up to 250kBps.Then i could download 2-3MB files in just few seconds.I have home500 plan.
Before this upgrade,i had 256kbps plan and my download speed was around 28-32kBps,always almost constant.And only for 2 days the speed has been above 200kBps,strangley once was evening of 31st dec06.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 17th January 2007 at 18:31.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 23:01   #49
BHPian

to get better speeds from airtel. why dont you guys try out modem uncapping.....
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 23:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
to get better speeds from airtel. why dont you guys try out modem uncapping.....
Have you tried it ? I heard airtel can tell if you uncap your modem..
boybandreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 08:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Please throw some light on modem capping ..
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 22:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybandreject View Post
Have you tried it ? I heard airtel can tell if you uncap your modem..

except if ur d/l at night.... i've just started doing for past 3 days. It does work but got be very carefull. Got a 256 kbps connection where i usually get avg speeds of 25-30 kbps. but in the night time (after uncapping) i got 350 kbps and at times going to 450 kbps d/l speed. i am just using it for just 2 to 3 hours just to be on the safe side. Generally once you uncap your modem air tel can detect the changes but to detect that not really sure if they see it : ).

@naveen : really wish i could explain the method but its a legal issue. In the US its either you get either warned, or banned or no isp for a long long time and the last ... land up in jail.

I dunno about the rules in India. at present i think you get only a warning for this.
Old 19th January 2007, 01:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
@naveen : really wish i could explain the method but its a legal issue. In the US its either you get either warned, or banned or no isp for a long long time and the last ... land up in jail.

I dunno about the rules in India. at present i think you get only a warning for this.
**Illegal issue i mean to say
Old 19th January 2007, 09:10   #54
Team-BHP Support

Airtel gives double speeds at night. Nothing to do with uncapping.
They sent a letter also some time back saying that holders of 256kbps U/L plan will get 512kbps at night.
I'm getting that since I got my connection and I haven't fiddled with my connection or modem at all.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 14:43   #55
Max
BHPian

i am bsnl user here in kalyan - bombay and i must say there speed and performance is great here. i always get 512kbps connection and i am on 1800 plan. will switch to 900 plan soon because for me 256kbps connection is okay. i use 256kbps in office and am fine with it.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 16:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^ are you all guys talking in kbps or KBps ,
I have bsnl 500 plan , yesterday i checked while downloading in flashget , i was downloading at speeds off ~ 400 KBps
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 16:07   #57
Team-BHP Support

That's like 3.2mbps payload, what's happening here...
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 18:43   #58
BHPian

These special download softwares split a file into many parts and download parts of that file separately to increase download speed. Hence it is not actual speed, it's just the software is optimizing the download to happen at faster speed. So you get the sum total of the download speed of various bits of files at which efficiency is increased due to splitting and then downloading bits of files. This is also actual speed but is shown high because of cumulative effort of optimizing download by splitting of files. Hope it makes it clear.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 00:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Airtel gives double speeds at night. Nothing to do with uncapping.
They sent a letter also some time back saying that holders of 256kbps U/L plan will get 512kbps at night.
I'm getting that since I got my connection and I haven't fiddled with my connection or modem at all.
spoken to customer care . Not aviable in Hyderabad. That the reason why i uncapped my modem . Yesterday's result was a whooping 312 kbps from 256 kbps connection !! , i only used for 2 hrs caz the movie d.l within 2 hours . hehe
Old 20th January 2007, 16:03   #60
Team-BHP Support

Modem uncapping is a myth.
It originated from the days of early cable in the US when the bandwidth capping was done in the modem itself. So you could unlimit your modem and get higher speeds.
In todays date with ADSL, wether its airtel or BSNL any ADSL modem will do. They do not insist on forcing you to use their modem.
I was using my BSNL UT Star modem on airtel connection till the modem went bust.
Even if you uncap it (my modem setting is at 576kbps downstream) you cannot get more than what the DSLAM offers you.
So I get around 200kbps in day and 400kbps at night.
Even if I use a modem from the US where its capable of 8Mbps speeds, I will not get 8Mbps, it will still be limited.
In your case the modem may be limited to a speed much lower than your plan entails.
All over India, including Delhi, Bangalore, chd people are getting double speeds at night.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote