Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th December 2006, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Looking for a partial upgrade

Hi Geeks
i am currently running a AMD Athlon 1.8 on a gigabyte 7xvmh+ MB (I think) with a 40 GB IDE HDD. my HDD has started giving problems & its time to replace it. My options are

1. Get another IDE HDD (Maybe 320/400GB), the cost effective way.
2. Change the motherboard to support SATA & get a SATA HDD, spending a little more dough.
3. Upgrade the MB, Processor & the HDD. (The normal thing to do.)
4. Is there a possibility that i can buy a SATA HDD & slip it through a convertor/adaptor to my IDE slot ? is that possible ?? or am i stupid ??
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Hi Geeks
i am currently running a AMD Athlon 1.8 on a gigabyte 7xvmh+ MB (I think) with a 40 GB IDE HDD. my HDD has started giving problems & its time to replace it. My options are

1. Get another IDE HDD (Maybe 320/400GB), the cost effective way.
2. Change the motherboard to support SATA & get a SATA HDD, spending a little more dough.
3. Upgrade the MB, Processor & the HDD. (The normal thing to do.)
4. Is there a possibility that i can buy a SATA HDD & slip it through a convertor/adaptor to my IDE slot ? is that possible ?? or am i stupid ??
if speed is not a issue...I would say get a biger HDD and enjoy life.....else if you have extra money to spend go for what ever option you feel is write....one more thing IDE and SATA are different from of interfaces and changing for one interface to another interface would not speed up as the HDD it self is a slow device and even the IDE interface is not fully used....so I would suggest get a new HDD and save your money....

for the 4 option yes it is very much possible...here is a link but here it is a pci slot not a ide.......

Merchant Hound - SBT-S108 Serial ATA 2-Port SATA PCI Controller Card Adapter

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 28th December 2006 at 13:21.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick response LBM, i saw the SATA PCI card. I made enquiries. It costs around 1.3k here, but that would become a waste when i upgrade my MB. Option 1 is looking good now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
if speed is not a issue...I would say get a biger HDD and enjoy life.....
are you talking about the IDE being a slower interface ? or are you saying that the higher capacity HDDs are slower ?
Old 28th December 2006, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am talking about the PC speed....not the HDD....

also the newer hdd are a bit faster than there older models....and there is no such thing as higher capacity are slower.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, i know its not express, but so far so good, i have not felt the need to upgrade, will take it slowly. i guess i could get a IDE HDD for now & when i upgrade buy a SATA & use that as the primary HDD & use the IDE as the secondary.