Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th May 2007, 13:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

spadival, shazikon is right. Try using the cloned MAC address with the router. However before that check one thing (since you have not yet bought it). Whether your ISP does anything more than just tying down the MAC address. Sify does something else as well. Their small app which helps you login uses encoded data transfer with the server to complete the login process. As a result even if your router fibs the MAC address it can not login as it won't be able to respond back to the server in the proprietary way.

There are two possible solution in such scenario.
1. Most ISPs allow at least 2 MAC addresses for every login (Sify also does). So call them up and tell them that you want your router's MAC address to be added as well. If they do nakhras or say they allow only one MAC address then ask them to update their records with the router MAC. They will be bound to do that (what happens if your ethernet card conks off and you put in a new one).

2. Another thing is more of a jugaad. I did this for a good while. Put the cable at the back of your laptop and login to the ISP. Thereafter take the wire out and plug it into the router (it should already be up and running). Now start surfing. Of course while doing this exercise you will have to change the DHCP based ip setting to the static setting of your ISP and then once you are logged in you will again have to switch back to the DHCP based setup of your router.

In the second setup, if you have a always-on type of connection (24 hours unlimited) then you need to do the exercise only once and then keep the router running all the time, even when you shut down your laptop. This way you will not need to carry out the whole exercise again and again.

Happy browsing.

Edit: I think your ISP is You. If I am not mistaken they did not provide you with a modem, am I right? Its just a cable that you plug into the back of your laptop/comp. If so the second trick will work. For ADSL connections like Airtel it won't work. However you won't need to do that either as your router will sit behind the modem in such cases (and hence never validated by the ISP).

Last edited by Zappo : 29th May 2007 at 13:44.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Guys, I am planning to buy a wireless router eBay India: NETGEAR WGR614 Cable / DSL 54 Mbps Wireless Router (item 120125444261 end time 02-Jun-2007 08:16:59 IST).

The problem is my broadband provider (You Telecom aka Iqara) ties down the MAC address of my PC/laptop to the connection, to ensure that only one PC can use the connection. So just plugging in the wireless router to the modem will not work because the MAC address visible to the ISP will change and they will start blocking. Is there a work around for this problem?
what type of internet connection is this?DSL or Cable,also are u talking about mac address of network adapter of the PC/Laptop or is there a seperate cable modem?please give some details.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 29th May 2007 at 13:37.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:41   #63
BHPian

Here is what you would do. (i have done the same thing).
Take the mac address of the original PC that is connected to the AIRTEL connection check the MAC address (Go to network connection / right click/ properties / click status tab / details / the MAC address is the Physical address something like 00-18-5a-xx-xx-xx)
the router that you buy will have an option to clone the mac address... put this address there and save and reboot now connect the pc's the way it is shown in this diagram
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the quickest and detailed response!! I havent even got the response for the same query I put on a dedicated broadband forum !

Just ordered a Netgear router off ebay. My home network should be wireless soon.. including my mobile phone
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
for example in my wireless router I setup the connection such that its bound to my LAPTOP MAC address, nobody else can connect.
what you are doing is on the LAN side of your router and you have complete control over it. What you are doing is the best ( safest) method to prevent unauthorised connections to your WALN. like some other guy in the next building accessing your LAN.

Quote:
In the router you can also give a difference MAC address to fool the ISP into thinking its a different device.
This is called cloning. By cloning you have to provide the registered MAC address to the router and the router copies this MAC address to its NIC. So now you are free to have as many LAN connections with different MAC addresses. this acts as a security feature too so that nobody can hack your system using your MAC address as it would not be advertised.
Quote:
It depends.On a DSL modem connection, the ISP will not see your PC mac address, just the modem. So they can put in modem settings to authenticate only one MAC address. Most routers have this feature.
In a DSL conncetion, there are 2 ports.. WAN and LAN.WAN connects to the POTS while LAN connects to the PC or router. if directly connected to a PC, the PC MAC addres will be communicated to the ISP or who ever tries to connect to ping your machine. thats the reason we must use routers at home. How does the ISP authenticate a user, its through static ip addresses or pppoe ( user name and password). Using PPPoE, ip addresses are assigned dynamically to the user upon authentication of username and password.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:28   #66
BHPian

Congratulations Spadival,,
Wireless LAN at home really helps.. now you can keep adding some more devices to it, you can also buy a wireless printers and can print either using your Pocket PC or notebook from anywhere, anytime...
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
My home network should be wireless soon.. including my mobile phone
Happy browsing.. it sure is fun accessing net from a phone through WLAN. hows the N95 btw.. could you post your review?? is it worth shelling out 35K on this?
Old 29th May 2007, 14:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
what type of internet connection is this?DSL or Cable,also are u talking about mac address of network adapter of the PC/Laptop or is there a seperate cable modem?please give some details.
Its the MAC address of the network adaptor of my laptop that I was referring to.

I think its a cable modem.. becoz it doesnt go out via any phone line. You Tele has a strange setup. They even had an option to share the modem with other users in the apartment complex. In which case, its like a LAN connection. I had this setup earlier, but this time I opted for a dedicated modem connection (2 mbps - goes up to 3 mbps sometimes with 100 KB/s download rates !!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Happy browsing.. it sure is fun accessing net from a phone through WLAN. hows the N95 btw.. could you post your review?? is it worth shelling out 35K on this?
What N95? I have an O2 XDA Atom.. which is great, except for the battery life which is a tad short.

Last edited by spadival : 29th May 2007 at 14:39.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

ok then you can connect the modem to your Router,use the MAc of ur network adapter and clone it onto the netgear router.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 29th May 2007 at 14:45.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
What N95? I have an O2 XDA Atom.. .
oops i thought i saw N95 mentioned some where..May be its the N95 ringing in my head ever since i saw this phone ..
Old 10th June 2007, 11:02   #71
Team-BHP Support

finally, managed to be at home for a weekend and got airtel in to change the modem. Within 15 min, we were motoring. Now to get my apple in
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:57   #72
BHPian

I've a problem. I've a PC connected to BSNL broadband using wireless router. PC to router connection is through LAN cable. Now I've another PC and a wi-Fi enabled phone. Now my question is how can i share broadband connection with my phone or the 2nd PC using wi-Fi and without using additional hardware?
Is there a way?

_____
Arup
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:00   #73
BHPian

Unless the Second PC has a buit in / external Wireless card, you will not be able to connect to the network.

Obviously, you can connect to the router with a LAN Cable and hook it up.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quite complicated.
What i would do: Get a USB wifi card for around 900 to 1000 rupees and start surfing
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 14:23   #75
BHPian

Guys,recently i bought a laptop with LAN & WLAN 802.11b/g and also this wireless router.
At home i have BSNL broadband with their supplied ADSL connected to my very old PC through USB.

Now
1.Should i connect phone line direct to wireless router and then to laptop and dump bsnl provided hardware?
OR
2.add this new router in b/w ADSL and laptop.

which option is better for long term and how should i go about it?

Thanx in advance
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote