Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 23:14   #3016
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,251 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Flipkart is the place for all things Moto.

I did try a couple of covers when I had the G2 and the original ones from Motorola are the best of the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I recently got a Moto-G2 for my wifey and she is looking out for a designer flip-cover (magnetic type - the one with sensor for auto-awake function). She is not interested in the plain-black types. Any sites where I can get this?

Thanks!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 23:17   #3017
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 670 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Valid concerns, but my personal view is that it is all the hidden cost of buying into the e-commerce bandwagon. Without strong privacy laws in India all this stuff goes under the radar and is here to stay. One has the choice of voting with one's feet, of course. Personally, I keep Location services off on my mobile devices unless I explicitly need it (hiring an Uber or navigating with Waze, for example).

Ref SSL, that is the least of my worries as I know that a merchant is allowed to integrate with Visa/Mastercard only if he goes through a PCI-DSS assessment; which would surely fail if they weren't doing it correctly.
Ok, but Flipkart even asks for access to your photos, to your media files, heck to all the contents of your USB storage, now, I might have some sensitive data that I do not want them to access. And its got nothing to do with my purchase or my authentication or location information, so pray why do they require that? Voting with one's feet is not really an option to be honest, although I did exercise it, but not sure if they actually scrub the data for people who uninstall the app. I think I need to send them a specific request to delete my data, but then that prevents me from being able to buy online via the browser too. So its a catch 22 situation for now.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 00:20   #3018
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Ok, but Flipkart even asks for access to your photos, to your media files, heck to all the contents of your USB storage, now, I might have some sensitive data that I do not want them to access. And its got nothing to do with my purchase or my authentication or location information, so pray why do they require that?
Disclaimer: I don't work for Flipkart. But I do work for a company that makes Android apps, and I know a little bit about the platform.

Name:  FK.png
Views: 582
Size:  55.1 KB

Are you talking of the highlighted permission in the attachment? Any app that has an authentication process, and can log you in without asking for your password every time, needs to have that permission so that it can store authentication information somewhere between runs, and update it when necessary. Without this permission, the app will have to ask the user to enter ID and password every time it is launched.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 00:51   #3019
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,374
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are you talking of the highlighted permission in the attachment? Any app that has an authentication process, and can log you in without asking for your password every time, needs to have that permission so that it can store authentication information somewhere between runs
This is worst possible place to store authentication information. This option will make it "world readable".

App-specific data directory (or even private SQLite instance) are better suited and do not require any permissions.

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...a-storage.html
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 01:15   #3020
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is worst possible place to store authentication information. This option will make it "world readable".
Right, my mistake - sorry for the confusion. More likely it is used for caching of images and such.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 05:53   #3021
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

One reason why they are going app only may be because it can make it more difficult to compare prices and stuff with other sites. Whatever it is, such sites will see less of my eyeballs the at least. Not comfortable buying thru mobiles either, for multiple reasons.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 06:10   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,578
Thanked: 3,321 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

I hate apps only world for a simple reason - on android every app thinks it is its right to auto-start and consume battery/memory. e.g Amazon app (not FK) would auto start and consume 60 MB. On my poor S3, that's inexcusable. Thus I would hate an app-only world totally.

@Lalvaz: Install a custom ROM or buy a Xiaomi handset which allows you fine grained control over every app. Turning off specific permissions is real easy in CM/MI.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:50   #3023
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 186
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Looks like 'app only' is the way forward. ABP Live: Myntra to shut its website from May 1: Report. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw9re_gyE
dmplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:59   #3024
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Hey guys,

I've a quick question. How safe is it to buy jewelry online?

There are a few sites that are popular, such as Carat Lane & Blue Stone. And prices are quite competitive.

Has anyone got any experience of buying stuff from these sites? Are they reliable? Are the products genuine?

Or should one in India stick to tried and tested brick & mortar stores for stuff like jewelry?

Please do share your thoughts. I'm curious as I've got an upcoming family function coming up and don't really want to spend a fortune.

Thanks & cheers!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:57   #3025
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Looks like 'app only' is the way forward. ABP Live: Myntra to shut its website from May 1: Report. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw9re_gyE
One reason may be Myntra was bought over by flipkart so may be cutting down on full website costs and a slow way of killing
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:01   #3026
BHPian
 
callvvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I recently got a Moto-G2 for my wifey and she is looking out for a designer flip-cover (magnetic type - the one with sensor for auto-awake function). She is not interested in the plain-black types. Any sites where I can get this?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Flipkart is the place for all things Moto.

I did try a couple of covers when I had the G2 and the original ones from Motorola are the best of the lot.
Spot on, Khoj.
However, the problem is the requirement I have - that is, magnetic type designer cover. All the magnetic types are of the plain jet-black ones whereas the designer ones are normal ones.

Any other sites where I can get those?

Or, other way around, is there anything like a vinyl wrapper that can be applied on top of the jet-black flip-cover?

Thanks!

Last edited by callvvijay : 7th April 2015 at 12:02.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:02   #3027
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Spot on, Khoj.
However, the problem is the requirement I have - that is, magnetic type designer cover.

Have you looked at Aliexpress? I got a nice one for my IP6 plus from there. Am sure I won't be able to find that in the local market.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:23   #3028
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Spot on, Khoj.
However, the problem is the requirement I have - that is, magnetic type designer cover. All the magnetic types are of the plain jet-black ones whereas the designer ones are normal ones.

Any other sites where I can get those?

Or, other way around, is there anything like a vinyl wrapper that can be applied on top of the jet-black flip-cover?

Thanks!
I remember getting a pink one for missus from ebay. It was a magnetic cover and was quite durable.

This one was for first generation Moto G btw.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:32   #3029
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 670 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I hate apps only world for a simple reason - on android every app thinks it is its right to auto-start and consume battery/memory. e.g Amazon app (not FK) would auto start and consume 60 MB. On my poor S3, that's inexcusable. Thus I would hate an app-only world totally.

@Lalvaz: Install a custom ROM or buy a Xiaomi handset which allows you fine grained control over every app. Turning off specific permissions is real easy in CM/MI.
Thanks for the workaround Phamilyman, however, that's way too much work. I'd much rather buy using the browser for now, and if there's a good deal on the app, I'll just ask some friends to help out. Way too much trouble if I have to Mod my OS or change my phone, just cos FK wants excessive permissions.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:44   #3030
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I hate apps only world for a simple reason - on android every app thinks it is its right to auto-start and consume battery/memory. e.g Amazon app (not FK) would auto start and consume 60 MB.
If you look at the list of permissions asked for by the Amazon app, you'll find the "run at startup" permission is missing. So it cannot auto-start or consume battery, and I'm sure you're mistaken.

The 60 MB you are talking of is the installed size of the app, I believe.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Online Indian Movie viewing thread phamilyman Shifting gears 11 14th April 2014 15:27
Most ever users online. EDIT : 14,753 online on 8th August, 2011! theragingbull Shifting gears 15 24th September 2010 16:24
My Car shopping satish_appasani The Indian Car Scene 64 17th November 2004 13:33
Shopping for my new car satish_appasani Hatchbacks 24 30th July 2004 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks