Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 09:20   #346
BHPian
 
rajeshsundaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERD-CHN-BLR
Posts: 298
Thanked: 451 Times
Angry re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, be careful while ordering any expensive item from www.zoomin.in

Myself and a few other forum members had a tough time with their customer service and they seem to have terrible logistics management
Exactly! Their packing is one of the worst and careless. They just used a paper envelope to pack some 30 maxi photos and two 8x6 photos. The result? The 8x6 photos got the edges damaged on shipment. The so called customer support takes 24 hours to reply. Which means you post a query today, and they take up the query next day and reply. On contrast, the snapfish service by HP is by far the best in terms of packaging. I have never received one single damaged photo.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 12:08   #347
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 504
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Need to gift my friend in UK. Which is the best option? Purchase here and send via courier or purchase something from international site in UK and they do a local shipment?
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 15:41   #348
BHPian
 
neofromcapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 274
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Purchase something from the International sites, better still the UK brands like Marks and Spencer's or Virgin group's online stores. More options and should be lower shipping.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 16:14   #349
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 252
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Need to gift my friend in UK. Which is the best option? Purchase here and send via courier or purchase something from international site in UK and they do a local shipment?
For a nominal charge, Amazon.co.uk would gift wrap the item and deliver it without an invoice. You'll need to opt for it during checkout.
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 19:11   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Need to gift my friend in UK. Which is the best option? Purchase here and send via courier or purchase something from international site in UK and they do a local shipment?
You might want to check sendit.com
I have used them a lot and they are excellent.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 08:55   #351
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 504
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Purchase something from the International sites, better still the UK brands like Marks and Spencer's or Virgin group's online stores. More options and should be lower shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
For a nominal charge, Amazon.co.uk would gift wrap the item and deliver it without an invoice. You'll need to opt for it during checkout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You might want to check sendit.com
I have used them a lot and they are excellent.
What about the payment? Can I still use netbanking/debit/credit cards?
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:47   #352
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 252
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
What about the payment? Can I still use netbanking/debit/credit cards?
Does your card have a Visa or Mastercard or Amex logo on it ? The information you are seeking is available on the shopping websites suggested by members.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...?nodeId=492874
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:53   #353
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 504
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Does your card have a Visa or Mastercard or Amex logo on it ? The information you are seeking is available on the shopping websites suggested by members.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...?nodeId=492874
Have both visa and master. Whenever I use my Master in international sites, I get an extra charge levied in my card for conversion. So a bit worried. Will this same happen if I use debit/netbanking?
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:57   #354
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 252
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Have both visa and master. Whenever I use my Master in international sites, I get an extra charge levied in my card for conversion. So a bit worried. Will this same happen if I use debit/netbanking?
Most banks charge a conversion and transaction fee; but that varies with cards and the banks that issued them. Try the banks' webiste or call them and find out.
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 16:29   #355
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

What about the payment? Can I still use netbanking/debit/credit cards?
Yes. You can use your India issued International Visa or Master Credit card on sendit.com. You will be billed in GBP.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 06:54   #356
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

I had ordered an item from an online retailer (not a shopping website like ebay, but the retailer's online store), and the item was shipped from Belgium about ten days ago.

Since the cost of couriering it here was half that the item cost, I opted for ordinary post shipping.

However the package cannot be traced in this mode. So what can be done to know where the package is? I have already shot an email to the seller to see if they can confirm the package has reached India (assuming their package tracking is better than the Indian post). Also what is the plan of action if the package has reached India? Do I need to go personally to the foreign post office to track it?

I tried the link posted above, and found a package tracking link within:
http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswebtracking

However entering the shipping item number (which starts with DN) or the package number (which starts with PAR) does not yield any information. Can someone confirm if this link is working?

The item is supposed to reach me within 7-21 working days. The seven day limit has already elapsed. How long will it take for the item to travel from Belgium to the Indian shore? How long will it take for the customs to send me an intimation for the same?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 07:44   #357
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,078
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I had ordered an item from an online retailer (not a shopping website like ebay, but the retailer's online -----------------snip-------------------- vel from Belgium to the Indian shore? How long will it take for the customs to send me an intimation for the same?
Try tracking it via 17track.net

Last edited by mayankk : 31st December 2012 at 07:46.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 16:35   #358
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 504
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Most banks charge a conversion and transaction fee; but that varies with cards and the banks that issued them. Try the banks' webiste or call them and find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes. You can use your India issued International Visa or Master Credit card on sendit.com. You will be billed in GBP.
So this is normal process.

Have visited sendit.com and found it useful, will try Amazon too.
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 23:32   #359
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Try tracking it via 17track.net
Thanks Mayank, but it's not working. I mean when I type in the shipping number, it's showing some chinese which when translated through Google, returns "Not recognize".

The delivery note from the seller contains a section called Shipping List. The first item under this list is "Number", which starts with the letters "DN". There's also a "Your Ref" which has a 13 digit alphanumeric value (6 digits + a letter + 6 digits).

The Master AWB Number field shows "Registered" (probably short for Registered Post).

Is there any way to know if the parcel has reached India?

Edit: Came across this link: http://www.indiapost.gov.in/tracking.aspx

However it still does not accept my tracking numbers. As per this site the tracking numbers must start with EE or RX, while my delivery note does not have anything which starts with EE or RX. Can anyone help?

Last edited by honeybee : 4th January 2013 at 23:40.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 23:36   #360
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,078
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Thanks Mayank, but it's not working. I mean when I type in the shipping number, it's showing some chinese which when translated through Google, returns "Not recognize".

The delivery note from the seller contains a section called Shipping List. The first item under this list is "Number", which starts with the letters "DN". There's also a "Your Ref" which has a 13 digit alphanumeric value (6 digits + a letter + 6 digits).

The Master AWB Number field shows "Registered" (probably short for Registered Post).

Is there any way to know if the parcel has reached India?
There is a English site link near the top right.
Though I'm surprised it didn't work. It traced one of my dx shipments via sg post that the sg post site itself was not able to track.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Online Indian Movie viewing thread phamilyman Shifting gears 11 14th April 2014 15:27
Most ever users online. EDIT : 14,753 online on 8th August, 2011! theragingbull Shifting gears 15 24th September 2010 16:24
My Car shopping satish_appasani The Indian Car Scene 64 17th November 2004 13:33
Shopping for my new car satish_appasani Hatchbacks 24 30th July 2004 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks