Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 23:49   #316
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

I have a suggestion here, Did you try the 7.5KVA kirlosker or 5KVA Mahindra silent gensets?

I think the later one will cost you 1.6L including installation as I have inquired with a local vendor in Chennai. The Kirlosker may cost you 10-20K above that but these are silent and I have seen them working only if you have space to install the 4x7ft sized equipment.

Also, consider having 1ton x 2 a/c as standby units during power cuts and connect them with genset power and keep the existing a/c for normal power, I may be right if you are using split you can actually configure dual compressor for the same internal unit only if you can design a device to sense and switch on the right compressor for normal power supply and genset power supply scenario.

I'm not sure if inverter can support your need, but it is sure the batteries on long time will start killing your pocket as you are talking about multiple batteries to support your huge power requirement.

The new generation gensets are actually trouble free and only issue is that you need to make sure that the fuel is under good level and sign up a contract for AMC you are done.

Last edited by trammway : 1st June 2010 at 23:51.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:58   #317
BHPian
 
AlokSriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont
Posts: 482
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I would recommend you go for the same brand and batteries so that there are no excuses left for the supplier to offer.
Ideally, you would do a real time test at your uncle's place to see how long the ACs work and whether compressor cut in is handled by the inverter towards the end of intended back up period.
Yes Anup, that's what I intend to do - Sukam's inverter and SMF batteries
Spending time at uncle's place to verify the performance may not be practically feasible on account of time factor and professional & personal commitments. Guess I will go by whatever feedback he has provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I have a suggestion here, Did you try the 7.5KVA kirlosker or 5KVA Mahindra silent gensets?
Thanks Tammway.. Yes, I did explore that option as well y'day. Funnily none of the sellers are suggesting anything less than 10 KVA DG set for supporting 2x1.5 Ton ACs. One Kirloskar dealer went to the extent of outrightly rejecting anything under 15KVA for my requirement - don't know which of the dealers is doing pure sales talk

Quote:
I think the later one will cost you 1.6L including installation as I have inquired with a local vendor in Chennai. The Kirlosker may cost you 10-20K above that but these are silent and I have seen them working only if you have space to install the 4x7ft sized equipment.
Space is not a constraint. Got a quote of all inclusive Rs. 2.3L for Mahindra 10KVA silent one whereas Kirlosakar similar config is costing close to 2.55L
Quote:
Also, consider having 1ton x 2 a/c as standby units during power cuts and connect them with genset power and keep the existing a/c for normal power, I may be right if you are using split you can actually configure dual compressor for the same internal unit only if you can design a device to sense and switch on the right compressor for normal power supply and genset power supply scenario.
Already have 3x1.5 Tons window units at home - oldest one purchased only 10 months ago. Therefore, don't plan to invest any more money. Besides, 1 Tonners won't meet my cooling requirements.

Quote:
I'm not sure if inverter can support your need, but it is sure the batteries on long time will start killing your pocket as you are talking about multiple batteries to support your huge power requirement.
A quick back of the envelop calculation shows that the maintenance+running costs of a 10 KVA inverter and a DG set are almost same.

For inverter, I am considering battery replacements every three years along with the ongoing monthly expense on electricity consumed for charging the batteries.

And for DG set, I am considering running cost @ Rs. 60 per hour + periodic maintenance costs (required after every 500 hours of running)

Having said that, the initial cost of DG set is 1.5 times that of same capacity inverter.. and this would go up even more if I plan to get a unit with automatic panel.

Quote:
The new generation gensets are actually trouble free and only issue is that you need to make sure that the fuel is under good level and sign up a contract for AMC you are done.
Yes, I completely agree, but I am also keen on keeping my carbon footprint at the bare minimum. Not to mention an added activity to my routine - ferrying diesel from fuel pumps
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:24   #318
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

How much should a 600VA Inverter plus 100Ah or 130Ah cost?

I currently have APC 800VA and use 130Ah. I need to get new battery. Can I safely use and buy a 160Ah with my APC ( out of warranty now, 3years old). Also, how much will 160Ah cost? Preferred brand? Current battery works for 30min max (Prestolite). How much can I expect for this in exchange?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:23   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How much should a 600VA Inverter plus 100Ah or 130Ah cost?
I currently have APC 800VA and use 130Ah. I need to get new battery. Can I safely use and buy a 160Ah with my APC ( out of warranty now, 3years old). Also, how much will 160Ah cost? Preferred brand? Current battery works for 30min max (Prestolite). How much can I expect for this in exchange?
Inverter - 5500, battery - 8000, Total 13K+. You can connect 160AH battery to you existing 800VA inverter, just check the charging current capacity of the inverter and the battery so that they are compatible. I would suggest to go for SF Sonic battery, they are really good and the service is also good, comes with a 3 yr warranty.
Your Prestolite is giving a backup time of 30 mins max Holy cow. Thats too less man, min 130Ah would give a back up of atleast 1-1.5 hrs depending upon the appliances connected.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:02   #320
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Inverter - 5500, battery - 8000, Total 13K+. You can connect 160AH battery to you existing 800VA inverter, just check the charging current capacity of the inverter and the battery so that they are compatible. I would suggest to go for SF Sonic battery, they are really good and the service is also good, comes with a 3 yr warranty.
Your Prestolite is giving a backup time of 30 mins max Holy cow. Thats too less man, min 130Ah would give a back up of atleast 1-1.5 hrs depending upon the appliances connected.
Thanks. 8000 for 100Ah ?

Prestolite used to give great backup when it was young , not anymore.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:27   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How much should a 600VA Inverter plus 100Ah or 130Ah cost?

I currently have APC 800VA and use 130Ah. I need to get new battery. Can I safely use and buy a 160Ah with my APC ( out of warranty now, 3years old). Also, how much will 160Ah cost? Preferred brand? Current battery works for 30min max (Prestolite). How much can I expect for this in exchange?
Yes you can. I would suggest Base Terminal or Amaron. Just compare the prices and warranty to decide.

How long did your Prestolite last btw? We have one that has not given good performance. On the other hand our Amaron is going great even after 4.5 years Of course back up time has reduced compared to when it was new, but its still quite good. The only "service" it has required are couple of top-ups.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:17   #322
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How much should a 600VA Inverter plus 100Ah or 130Ah cost?

I currently have APC 800VA and use 130Ah. I need to get new battery. Can I safely use and buy a 160Ah with my APC ( out of warranty now, 3years old). Also, how much will 160Ah cost? Preferred brand? Current battery works for 30min max (Prestolite). How much can I expect for this in exchange?
JK; a 600 va inverter cost about 5000 to 6000 depending on the brand, 100 ah cost about 7500rs, 130 ah about 8500rs.

check with APC if a 160 ah can be connected to their 800 va. I think it wont be a problem, but if it is not supported you will end up damaging the system.

I would recommend to go with exide fully tubular batteries, the EL series, will cost about 14k.

Exchange solely depends on the margin the dealer is getting. you can get anywhere from 500 rs to 2000.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 08:50   #323
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks. 8000 for 100Ah ? The price was for 130Ah battery.

Prestolite used to give great backup when it was young , not anymore.
How old is your battery. What's the reason for going for new battery? Is it the back up time which U have mentioned is too less. Maybe the battery was not maintained. Is it a lead acid type or maintenance free? try adding some acid/distilled water to revive the battery. If nothing works then go for a new one.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 00:27   #324
BHPian
 
icemanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: cochin
Posts: 94
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi,
My cousin will be returning from US and working from home. Frequent power cuts in cochin especially during monsoons. Need an inverter to run a PC, 2 CFL and 2 Fans for about 12 hours. Please suggest a good reliable brand and price. Thanks!
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 00:33   #325
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,600
Thanked: 6,686 Times
Default

Twelve hours!

Buy a generator.

My UPS, new, would run my PC and a desk light for two hours, and it was about 12,000.

Twelve hours is serious power capacity.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 01:12   #326
BHPian
 
icemanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: cochin
Posts: 94
Thanked: Once
Default

Thad thanks for the quick response. What specification Generator should I look for?
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 02:10   #327
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,600
Thanked: 6,686 Times
Default

I've dreamt of owning one, then decide it's better to live with the power cuts! So I don't know. Browse back a few pages --- I think most questions have been answered.

There was a recent post -->this one about a setup much bigger than you are asking for, but what surprised me was the running cost.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 08:53   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Hi,
My cousin will be returning from US and working from home. Frequent power cuts in cochin especially during monsoons. Need an inverter to run a PC, 2 CFL and 2 Fans for about 12 hours. Please suggest a good reliable brand and price. Thanks!
I'd suggest Microtek 1550VA with two tubular batteries of 150 AH each.
Should do for 12 hours provided the PCs have LCD monitors.
Cost is likely to be in the region of Rs. 26,000/-.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 09:21   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

My UPS, new, would run my PC and a desk light for two hours, and it was about 12,000.
That is very less for 12K, Thad! I paid about the same for mine and it would run 4 tube lights, 4 fans, 1 PC / 1 TV (full rating)for about three hours. Replacing the tubes with CFL, and switching off some lights/fans extends the duration. I once ran three fans and three mosquito repellent machines for one full night. The power was restored before the inverter ran out of juice!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 10:30   #330
BHPian
 
icemanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: cochin
Posts: 94
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd suggest Microtek 1550VA with two tubular batteries of 150 AH each.
Should do for 12 hours provided the PCs have LCD monitors.
Cost is likely to be in the region of Rs. 26,000/-.
Thanks for the information Anup. I will call Microtek cochin office to enquire more.

Is Microtek the best brand inverter or there are others I can look for? Please suggest.
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter Batteries Tarun Gadgets, Computers & Software 1052 29th July 2017 10:53
Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc sreeku In-Car Entertainment 163 25th September 2016 23:00
Myth: UPS can't run on inverter? linuxtechie Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 24th October 2008 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks