Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 13:52   #646
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Say I had 2 kw capacity solar panels, a 2 kw generator and deep cycle battery. Im looking for a system which performs the following:

1. During the day, uses the DC power of solar to charge the batteries. Uses the AC power to charge the batteries when it maybe cloudy.

2. When batteries are charged, power from solar panels are available for use as AC.

3. If there is no grid power and it is the monsoon, "battery aziz" (batteries dead) I want to run a high powered AC appliance like mixie, I will start the generator, so it would be charging the battery and also run the mixie.

Is such a system possible? There was a news article and advertisement in TOI last year which was selling such a system probably german/US manufacturer, im unable to find it.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 14:18   #647
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Is such a system possible? There was a news article and advertisement in TOI last year which was selling such a system probably german/US manufacturer, im unable to find it.
Google for home solar subsidy. Here is a link below. There are many companies out there.

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en...+subsidy+india
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 15:38   #648
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Say I had 2 kw capacity solar panels, a 2 kw generator and deep cycle battery. Im looking for a system which performs the following:

1. During the day, uses the DC power of solar to charge the batteries. Uses the AC power to charge the batteries when it maybe cloudy.

2. When batteries are charged, power from solar panels are available for use as AC.

3. If there is no grid power and it is the monsoon, "battery aziz" (batteries dead) I want to run a high powered AC appliance like mixie, I will start the generator, so it would be charging the battery and also run the mixie.

Is such a system possible? There was a news article and advertisement in TOI last year which was selling such a system probably german/US manufacturer, im unable to find it.
This is how most of the systems are designed
. Renewable energy generator (Solar, wind or water) feeding the battery
. Fossil fuel generator (diesel/petrol) when renewable energy is not available. Apart from supplying the appliances load, it should also have enough power to charge batteries simultaneously.
. Inverter to convert DC from batteries to AC
. Control circuit to switch between generators and mains supply.

While calculating the capacity, bear in mind the following
. Derate the Solar generators to 0.7 capacity. They are quoted at peak power, and what you get is average.
. Derate the diesel generator to 0.8.
. For calculating battery capacity, remember that the AH ratings are for 10 hours discharge. you have to derate the capacity based on the time required - 0.2 for 1 hour. .5 for 3 hours etc. The exact amount depends on the battery construction and is available in their technical literature. You may also have to derate the capacity if the ambient is more than 25 degrees centigrade.
. Similarly Inverter efficiency varies between 0.7 and 0.95, depending on the load.

In short if you have a normal usage, just double the capacity of each item to arrive at an optimum capacity. (Battery capacity - 220V 8A for 3 hours it is 5.28KWAH nominal, so you plan for 10.5KWAH, but for 1 hour it will be 220V x 8 x 1 x 5 = 8.8KWAH).
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 12:04   #649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

I heard getting subsidy is a BIG headache, have people been able to secure it without getting their hands full of grease
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 11:33   #650
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Branded generator sets

I am in process of buying a genset rating roughly ~ 30kv.
Following are the contenders:-
1. Kirloskar
2. Mahindra
Calling all those who are using the aforementioned gensets in lieu of their opinions about the same.
I have heard great reviews about Mahindra gensets , regarding their low consumption figures and cheap maintenance.
Kindly drop your advices / suggestions for the same.
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 23:11   #651
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,018
Thanked: 4,203 Times
Default Re: Branded generator sets

I have a Kirloskar 30kVA genset in my building. Hasnt caused troubles from 4yrs/~600hrs of use except that due to low usage the battery would go flat. Since now it is being started at least once in three days, that problem hasnt resurfaced.

Fuel consumption is not exactly known, but considering half load ie 1kVA X 9 houses, and 1kVA for common areas, with the lift, borewell pump running intermittently, it consumes around 3-4liters of diesel at the most per hour. Last time the genset was refilled, we filled 25lts of diesel and after six hours of use, 1/3 diesel is still left easily.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 22:10   #652
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Since the electricity woes for 3hrs are back in Hyderabad, took the plunge today and bought the following.
Microtek 950VA HB950 Inverter
Exide 150ah Tall Tubular batteries
Trolley
Cost was ₹19700 incl. of installation.
Backup with only fans and lights is 4 hrs.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 19:55   #653
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

I have been using an APC inverter for last few years in a rental apartment. I am planning to move and was wondering how you are installing them in your homes. Do you make an enclosure? My Inverter sits inside my TV cabinet, but battery (150AH) is behind that.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 18th June 2014 at 19:57.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 20:29   #654
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 568
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Say I had 2 kw capacity solar panels, a 2 kw generator and deep cycle battery. Im looking for a system which performs the following:

1. During the day, uses the DC power of solar to charge the batteries. Uses the AC power to charge the batteries when it maybe cloudy.

2. When batteries are charged, power from solar panels are available for use as AC.

3. If there is no grid power and it is the monsoon, "battery aziz" (batteries dead) I want to run a high powered AC appliance like mixie, I will start the generator, so it would be charging the battery and also run the mixie.

Is such a system possible? There was a news article and advertisement in TOI last year which was selling such a system probably german/US manufacturer, im unable to find it.
Check out the Sukam Brainy. There is also another german company too which is what you probably have seen in TOI - forgot the name though. When I looking for a UPS 2 years ago, the problem I found with these is that they work out to be very expensive.

Now, battery life is measured in number of cycles - typically it will be around 2000 to 4000 cycles. Normally, a UPS battery lasts for about 3 to 5 years. Now imagine if EVERYDAY, you charge it and discharge it, its life would definitely reduce... perhaps 1 to 2 years. I don't have any studies to prove it though - just my speculation.

Apart from that, the cost of the solar panels was quite high - don't know about it now.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 06:43   #655
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Its Borg Energy. Link to Borg Energy Astra Series.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 13:11   #656
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Folks, a few recent fires in Chennai have been attributed to Inverter triggered ones - the SBI building one and one or two more. I would like to know if there is some sort of fire prevention we can do for our inverter installations. I have 2 inverters and recently there has been a lot of fluctuations in my area when the inverter comes on and off every few minutes. Will fitting a RCD or RCCB or RCBO help in tripping off the circuit incase of any sparks? I do not have shock protection other than standard MCBs in my house DB. I did not have overload protection either, but added it recently as was having issues with overload at the phase changer.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 15:42   #657
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Check out the Sukam Brainy. There is also another german company too which is what you probably have seen in TOI - forgot the name though. When I looking for a UPS 2 years ago, the problem I found with these is that they work out to be very expensive.

Now, battery life is measured in number of cycles - typically it will be around 2000 to 4000 cycles. Normally, a UPS battery lasts for about 3 to 5 years. Now imagine if EVERYDAY, you charge it and discharge it, its life would definitely reduce... perhaps 1 to 2 years. I don't have any studies to prove it though - just my speculation.

Apart from that, the cost of the solar panels was quite high - don't know about it now.
Lead Acid batteries- 300-500 cycles at 50% DOD
Lithium Ion batteries 1000-3000 cycles (depending on battery chemistry) at 80% DOD

Unbranded Solar panels start at approx. 10,000 Rs for a 200w/hr panel and could go upto 20,000 Rs for a branded one with better quality.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 12:40   #658
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

It's that time of the year in Bangalore of frequent power-cuts. Can someone suggest me an affordable option to give me at least 2-3 hours of back-up? I am a total newbie about this. I'll need back-up for 1 fan, 2 10w led bulbs, 23w cfl, 40" led tv, and my wifi router. It will be awesome if you guys can provide me product links which I can buy online. Also, what battery should one buy for it? My budget is 4-7k for this. TIA.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 12:50   #659
BHPian
 
abhjain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 203
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
It's that time of the year in Bangalore of frequent power-cuts. Can someone suggest me an affordable option to give me at least 2-3 hours of back-up? I am a total newbie about this. I'll need back-up for 1 fan, 2 10w led bulbs, 23w cfl, 40" led tv, and my wifi router. It will be awesome if you guys can provide me product links which I can buy online. Also, what battery should one buy for it? My budget is 4-7k for this. TIA.
We are in a worse part of the country where in power cuts are more than Bangalore. We use a dual batter luminous inverter. The whole setup had cost me about 23K but offers excellent back up and load carrying capacity. I run my treadmill, sound system, led, tube lights, fans and even a Symphony cooler.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 15:20   #660
BHPian
 
techiecal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 104
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Inverter or generator?

I have been using an Inverter system in Kolkata for many years. The brand is Sukam and the Battery is Exide Champion. This combination has worked out solidly and the battery lasts for 3 years approximately.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter Batteries Tarun Gadgets, Computers & Software 1056 19th August 2017 15:47
Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc sreeku In-Car Entertainment 163 25th September 2016 23:00
Myth: UPS can't run on inverter? linuxtechie Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 24th October 2008 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks