Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th July 2017, 19:53   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
since there is less likelihood of water ever reaching your rooftop. Solar will be a good solution. A diesel genset has its own set of benefits like operating your heavy loads and charging inverter batteries once depleted.
In the December '15 situation, were it to turn out to be not a once-in-100-years, it is likely that the water would not reach the roof top, and a generator would be just another expensive thing to be flood damaged. However, we are intent on not getting even an inch of water in the house in very-much-more-likely weather situations, so it is the way we are going for now.

Not insignificant factor: my wife is sold on it even. I have not managed to sell her solar, as yet.

So, the budget is allocated for a 3Kva (or 5Kva if we have to) generator. So far, the internet has given me a slightly better feeling about Kirloskar than Mahindra. What does the team think?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 22:52   #707
Senior - BHPian

have you written to any kirloskar dealers for a quotation ? IMHO six years back the quote for a base model kirloskar diesel came to around 2.3 lakhs. I am not sure if an acoustic enclosure was included in the quote.

But an automatic changeover control panel costs some 20k extra.

A diesel genset has its uses even in a off-grid solar system. Whenever the batteries are absolutely depleted and one is without sunshine for a couple of days straight, it is wise to keep batteries charged using a diesel genset rather than mains power. This is done in the interest of not leaving the batteries depeleted for a long duratioj without recharge as it may lead to sulfation in Lead Acid Batteries.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 23:31   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

This kind of thing.

Not quite the larger units one sees outside offices.
Old 30th July 2017, 23:55   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite the larger units one sees outside offices
You can have a look at something like enclosed, both Kirloskar as well Mahindra have these smaller ones which are not portable but still have a smaller footprint, are fuel efficient and can be ordered with an AMF panel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New S-series SLIM Power Design 5-12.5 kVA leaflet.pdf (1,003.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th July 2017 at 23:57.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 00:43   #710
BHPian

If you want to go really cheap, you can contact some local guys who manufacture gensets. One of my friends recently got a 7.5kva genset built and bought a kirloskar engine for it just for 50k.
It isn't the enclosed type, but since his usage was at a farm, it didn't make sense to spend a lot of money on branded enclosed options especially since it was to be used rarely in emergency situations.
I will be in the market for a genset soon for my farm and am leaving towards such a cheaper solution myself.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:58   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You can have a look at something like enclosed, both Kirloskar as well Mahindra have these smaller ones which are not portable but still have a smaller footprint, are fuel efficient and can be ordered with an AMF panel.
Thanks. Looks nice. Will have to see what the price cross-over point is from the "portable" range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
It isn't the enclosed type, but since his usage was at a farm, it didn't make sense to spend a lot of money on branded enclosed options especially since it was to be used rarely in emergency situations.
We need to get sleep. Our neighbours need to get sleep.

Mind you, our Honda petrol-power pump is quite noisy.
Old 31st July 2017, 13:06   #712
BHPian

Post Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So, the budget is allocated for a 3Kva (or 5Kva if we have to) generator. So far, the internet has given me a slightly better feeling about Kirloskar than Mahindra.
How about the Honda EU30is:
https://www.hondasielpower.com/products/EU30is.aspx

It runs on petrol, but silent and gives clean power as it is an inverter-genset.
It is also truly portable and highly fuel-efficient.
I had a look at one in my town which has an authorised-dealer.

Pre GST prices was quoted as Rs.1,01,000.
The one without the self-starter and the 'i-monitor' was quoted as Rs.85,000.

If I had the money to splurge I was looking at Honda EU 70is.
This is a 5.5kva with peak output of 7kva, fuel-injected (no carburetor).

Since I already own a Honda Civic for ten years (and counting) I have this fixation on Honda and petrol-engines

The EU 70is was quoted at Rs.1,87,000.
https://www.hondasielpower.com/products/EU70is.aspx

Last edited by manim : 31st July 2017 at 13:09.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 16:02   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
... ... ...

... ... ...

Funnily enough, that is exactly where I started looked at generators! Then I realised I could could get a diesel genset of same capacity for not much more money and reckoned that would be a better option.

Say hello to your Honda car from my Honda pump
Old 31st July 2017, 17:17   #714
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1662220

Not clearly visible in the picture is the float switch. By design, obviously never needs priming, never gets a clogged up foot valve or a leaky stuffing box, simply chews up (although it is not a grinder model) leaves, mud etc and spits it out. Although both rated "2hp," it shifts way more water than its petrol-powered cousin. It's wonderful. We can watch the garden not even getting flooded from the window.
Off-topic: That is a nice looking pump, but 2 HP ! I am sure that must only need to work intermittently for the water that accumulates in your garden.
I needed one for my basement which has started seeping due to the uncharacteristically heavy downpour here last few days. Ordered a 0.5HP from Crompton, lets see how it works and whether I have a dry basement every morning.
http://www.industrybuying.com/sewage....SE.279718/:OT
goswami.j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 18:01   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2hp electric sucks.

It sucks so hard and fast that we had to build a bigger pit for it.

Total area, including house is about 3,500 sq ft. That is quite a lot of water in a cloudburst.

But if you just have slow seepage it would not work out at all. You are right to have bought a small pump for it. You'll need to make a pit/hole for it to work in. If you have /want a float switch, there has to be room for that to work.

Mine is supposed to have the motor part submerged for cooling or it would burn out. But I can run it briefly to drain to the impeller level.

Your link says 404

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st July 2017 at 18:10.
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:13   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It runs on petrol, but silent and gives clean power as it is an inverter-genset.
It is also truly portable and highly fuel-efficient.
I had a look at one in my town which has an authorised-dealer.

Pre GST prices was quoted as Rs.1,01,000.
The one without the self-starter and the 'i-monitor' was quoted as Rs.85,000.

Since I already own a Honda Civic for ten years (and counting) I have this fixation on Honda and petrol-engines

https://www.hondasielpower.com/products/EU70is.aspx
Quote:
Funnily enough, that is exactly where I started looked at generators! Then I realised I could could get a diesel genset of same capacity for not much more money and reckoned that would be a better option.
Yesterday (this morning to the rest of the world. I don't call it tomorrow until after sleep. Wchih leads to some very confusing 4am conversations with wife!), in all the post-rain excitement, I was lying in the bed at 6.00am when I should have been going to sleep, reading about the advantages of inverter generator. Most of it I had not seen before.

Today (just now) we rang the CRI agent who we bought the pump off, who says that the start-up load is 16A. Duh... quite a lot . On my meter I can measure a flick to 7.9 before it settles at 7.5, but hey, it is a cheepo (compared to something like Fluke) Uni-T clamp multimeter, and I doubt that it is made to catch momentary transients. Heck, sometimes I have trouble getting it to measure an AA battery volatage!

Then we talked to the Honda/Koel agents we bought our Honda pump from. My impression of this company is good. The big recommendation from them is the Honda i70. The numero-uno head-honcho engineering guy is coming to see us. Hopefully today. On his way back from a meeting in Coimbatore! Which is more than I would do for a customer when I've been on a bus for several hours!

It sort-of hurts that I am not putting 2 Lakh into solar. But there is something comforting about being able to start a motor, any time of any day.

Last night, according to a Kea Weather Blog friend who has his weather station just down the road, we had 60mm of rain in the night. At its peak, he measured a rate of over 200 mm/hr, and I calculated 20,000 litres on our house and garden. I stoff uder an umbrella and watched our pump taking it in its stride, running only about half the time.

(Yes, If I had known how damned good those pumps are, I might have bought just 1HP, but I was going by the experience of the 2HP petrol-engine pump)
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:20   #717
BHPian

Post Re: Inverter or generator?

Quote:
Today (just now) we rang the CRI agent who we bought the pump off, who says that the start-up load is 16A. Duh... quite a lot .
According to the user-manual (downloaded from net) The Honda 70is can handle steady loads of 23.9 Amps.

And less than 0.4 seconds at more than 30 A of output current.

And if you require (and can afford it ) you can connect two of these gensets in parallel to double these figures (14 kVA max).
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:57   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Then we talked to the Honda/Koel agents we bought our Honda pump from. My impression of this company is good. The big recommendation from them is the Honda i70. The numero-uno head-honcho engineering guy is coming to see us. Hopefully today. On his way back from a meeting in Coimbatore! Which is more than I would do for a customer when I've been on a bus for several hours!
Quote:
According to the user-manual (downloaded from net) The Honda 70is can handle steady loads of 23.9 Amps.

And less than 0.4 seconds at more than 30 A of output current.
And it is on order, in stock, arriving tomorrow

My new motor

They will arrange an electrician to install a changeover switch for us. It will be wired properly to supply the house as well as just the pump.
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:26   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

The generator was delivered today, but the installation waits until tomorrow. It is somewhat smaller than I had imagined it, but also heavier. We had promised to have someone to help lift it out of the delivery van but ended up being the someone ourselves. Delivery guy aided by wife, maid and me. Yes, it is portable as in wheelable.

A quick turn-on-look-it-works-sign-here demo (the main man is coming back tomorrow) proved it to be much quieter than I expected.

It is a nice looking device. Just one thing...

After a couple of weeks of internal conversation, and meeting with the engineer yesterday, at which point we ordered and paid for it, late tonight, wife mentions to me that one can't buy petrol in cans any longer.

WHAT?
Old 4th August 2017, 07:16   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The generator was delivered today, but the installation waits until tomorrow. It is somewhat smaller than I had imagined it, but also heavier. We had promised to have someone to help lift it out of the delivery van but ended up being the someone ourselves. Delivery guy aided by wife, maid and me. Yes, it is portable as in wheelable.

A quick turn-on-look-it-works-sign-here demo (the main man is coming back tomorrow) proved it to be much quieter than I expected.

It is a nice looking device. Just one thing...

After a couple of weeks of internal conversation, and meeting with the engineer yesterday, at which point we ordered and paid for it, late tonight, wife mentions to me that one can't buy petrol in cans any longer.

WHAT?
Shell store sells Aluminium fuel cans with airtight caps. And they either fill in fuel to your vehicle or that. Nothing else. Its available in 1, 2 and 5 ltr sizes. I have 2 of those 5 ltr cans and fill it when i go on long trips. You can do that

See the below picture of it where we are filling diesel to a Safari
Name:  1098839d1371567002tweranoutroaddsc_131101.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th August 2017 at 07:18.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote