Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 13:34   #4021
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
Just out of curiosity - why a safety razor?

FWIW, I used to use Gillette Sensor Excel. But then I stopped that after 15-20 years & I now use a Gillette disposable - it seems to last for ages if I shave everyday & lasts 7-10 times if I don't every day. There is also the Gillette Guard which is even cheaper and has a replaceable blade which is dirt cheap.

So the question is - what does a safety razor give you.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:17   #4022
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 481
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

My 3 year Old front loading Siemens Washing machine had developed 'broken shaft' according to their service technician. They will send someone to change the drum assembly 'soon'. What kind of bill should I look at ? They have collected 700 R already for the visit.

They claimed when I bought the WM that it is the equivalent of a Merc. Now I know why they said that - based on the service bill. The technician said that as I use hard water, the stainless steel will corrode and such things happen. Any one with similar experience here ?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:19   #4023
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Just out of curiosity - why a safety razor?

FWIW, I used to use Gillette Sensor Excel. But then I stopped that after 15-20 years & I now use a Gillette disposable - it seems to last for ages if I shave everyday & lasts 7-10 times if I don't every day. There is also the Gillette Guard which is even cheaper and has a replaceable blade which is dirt cheap.

So the question is - what does a safety razor give you.
I graduated from those disposable ones to Mach 3 and then to Fusion Proglide.



The disposable ones were horrible. Mach 3 was good and still the best I have come across. At Rs. 80-100, they are somewhat worth the money.

Proglide blades are around Rs. 250 a piece and last about 8 times (one month for me). The Rs. 80 blade is actually better than the Rs. 250 blade. This is a typical case of less is more.


The other element is trying out something 'new' - rather, the good 'old' ways of shaving.


Do read this article for more reasons.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...-your-grandpa/
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 18:09   #4024
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,110
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My 3 year Old front loading Siemens Washing machine had developed 'broken shaft' according to their service technician. They will send someone to change the drum assembly 'soon'. What kind of bill should I look at ? They have collected 700 R already for the visit.

They claimed when I bought the WM that it is the equivalent of a Merc. Now I know why they said that - based on the service bill. The technician said that as I use hard water, the stainless steel will corrode and such things happen. Any one with similar experience here ?
Siemens is as good or bad as the Bosch and in no way an expensive brand. Where these appliances mimic the Mercs and BMW is in their hefty service bills. If you have these you have to have AMC, else every time you will pay a hefty bill. In more that 10 years of owning an IFB we had AMC and it was worth it.

We had one change of our IFB drum and that was billed at around 4K four years ago. Normally the welds between the drum and the shaft break. If you are paying full price for the drum insist on a new part with factory packing (else they will try to palm off a repaired drum at full price) and also insist on retaining it (as you have paid for it), if the service centre insists on taking the drum back, then the replacement is a scam, as they will just repair the drum and fit it some where else.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 19:36   #4025
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 481
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We had one change of our IFB drum and that was billed at around 4K four years ago. Normally the welds between the drum and the shaft break. If you are paying full price for the drum insist on a new part with factory packing (else they will try to palm off a repaired drum at full price) and also insist on retaining it (as you have paid for it), if the service centre insists on taking the drum back, then the replacement is a scam, as they will just repair the drum and fit it some where else.
Thanks Aroy Sir. Ok. I will retain the drum and get it welded locally so that I can use that next time the replacement fails.

Thanks again Sir.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 19:51   #4026
Newbie
 
ms_mahu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My 3 year Old front loading Siemens Washing machine had developed 'broken shaft' according to their service technician. They will send someone to change the drum assembly 'soon'. What kind of bill should I look at ? They have collected 700 R already for the visit.

They claimed when I bought the WM that it is the equivalent of a Merc. Now I know why they said that - based on the service bill. The technician said that as I use hard water, the stainless steel will corrode and such things happen. Any one with similar experience here ?
We too had similar issues almost 2 years back. Hard water had corroded back side of the drum and one of the three arms holding drum broke. There was no visible scaling inside the drum but outside was pathetic.

It did not end with the SS inner drum replacement, misaligned drum had teared plastic outer drum and had to replace both drums and some bearing. Total cost came to around 10K then.
ms_mahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 22:10   #4027
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,107
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...commend-4.html (Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?) covers at least one aspect.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 13:30   #4028
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 481
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

They gave the quote today Rs16k. It is not worth repairing if they charge me 80 % of the purchase price. I will never again buy a Siemens.

Any good local repairer in Chennai ?
I would be grateful if someone can suggest someone based on their past experience.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:25   #4029
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 527
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

need suggestions for good trust worthy stream iron for home use.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 21:08   #4030
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,107
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

@sam003; I have had very good experience with Tefal, Morphy Richards and Kenwood. Not so good with Philips.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 23:32   #4031
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

I too don't have a good experience with Philips Steam irons. Morphy Richard's are better. BTW i just bought a Siemens 5.5 kg Machine, hope i don't get scary experiences as Aroy.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 00:12   #4032
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,800
Thanked: 9,459 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
BTW i just bought a Siemens 5.5 kg Machine, hope i don't get scary experiences as Aroy.
Siemens and Bosch, both are essentially the same units sans for the rebranding. They are manufactured in the same plant as well - BSH. If you notice carefully at an outlet, both the machines would look very identical including their detergent trays, quality of the plastics, drums, controls etc.

We have a Bosch 5.5 kg unit (WAG14060IN) here for over an year (2 bachelors in the home - weekly two loads) and it has been working well. No complaints so far. We do not pre-scrub the collars of the shirts and it comes out quite clean.

Turns out, Bosch has stopped that model and has a newer lineup with LED displays!
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 23:18   #4033
BHPian
 
Pallavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
need suggestions for good trust worthy stream iron for home use.
Old Philips steam irons were good. Recent ones, not so much.

Our previous Philips steam iron lasted us 8+ years without a single problem. Purchased a new one for a bigger water tank. Using it for the past 6 months and the paint on the knob is already gone.
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 10:48   #4034
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

Old Philips steam irons were good. Recent ones, not so much.

Our previous Philips steam iron lasted us 8+ years without a single problem. Purchased a new one for a bigger water tank. Using it for the past 6 months and the paint on the knob is already gone.
I am using a bajaj-black&decker for almost 20 yrs now, I bought it for around 1200/- during my engineering days and it is still going strong

But I don't think bajaj and black&decker are still together, need to be checked out
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 11:03   #4035
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,039
Thanked: 731 Times
Default

Best induction hot plate guys? Need to get one...any recommendations?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread Latheesh Shifting gears 632 19th October 2017 02:56
Building a truck camper : Home away from home DKG Modifications & Accessories 140 18th February 2016 18:40
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Joining a domain: XP home Vista Home Premium johy Shifting gears 0 22nd November 2007 17:14
Home Audio thread with inputs from the ICE forum gunbir Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 3rd August 2006 11:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks