Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 16:12   #4201
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@Aroy

can you suggest any brand / models which fit the above criteria and with good service backup?
No idea of service back up at your place. What we have figured out is that after the warranty is over, it is better to get an independent service man to come once a year for general cleaning of the filter. The AMC is of no use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I was in the market for a chimney and after some help from this thread I zeroed in on Elica - I brought a model with 1150 suction power (Elica LTW60 Glace), baffle filter and the pipe used for carrying the fumes outside is corrugated metal. I paid 14290 (plus 400 INR for installation and 800 INR for pipe - (16 ft X 50 rs) ) for the chimney and a 2 burner glass top stove. I think the chimney is available for around 11,500. If you are going for a chimney of 90 cm or more, do make sure that you are getting more baffle filters (3 or more - I have seed models which are 90 cm wide, but the extra width is just glass canopy - the filter are is exactly same in both 60 cm and 90 cm models).

What brand of non stick utensils are you people using? We have been using Prestige for years but of late, their quality is very bad. We do not use metal spatulas or metal scrubbers, but then also, the non stick coating last barely 6 to 8 months. We are fed up of replacing our set of non stick utensils at least once in a year, so we are looking for some other brand which is more durable.

--Anoop
1. The Chimney is exactly what I was refering to in the above post.

2. Regarding non stick. We have been using non stick for over thirty years, and the storey is same as yours. I personally prefer thick aluminum or cast iron pans for my cooking. You can make them non stick easily by curning a bit of oil at high heat, and washing with hot water only. My wife is a fan of non stick but the maids always manage to ruin them in a year. Recently she bough a fancy Italian brand, which seems to be better, but even that has started going bad.

What we normally do not realise is that a non stick pan will get ruined if used dry, the coating cannot stand much heat and dry pan can go upwards of 300 degrees.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:20   #4202
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
....there is no harm in buying a chimney with 1000 cu.m per hr. rating.

Do look for a Chimney that has baffle filters. They are the easiest to clean and certainly doable at home by yourself. In case you have a dishwasher then cleaning an all metal filter is even more easier.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, looks like it is a good idea to get the 1000 c.m/hr rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Buy a chimney with at least 1000 cfm rating. Indian cooking involves a lot of frying and the oil vapours have to be evacuated.
2. Get only one with Baffle Filters, as the mesh filters are inefficient in filtering out the oil, which will accumulate in the filter and start dripping after some time. Baffle filters will trap the oil and rout it to a catch point.
Thanks for your input! Will look out for chimneys with these criteria in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@Aroy

can you suggest any brand / models which fit the above criteria and with good service backup?
Was my next question
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 18:06   #4203
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Regarding Vacuum Cleaners, I have a Mighty Vac from Eureka Forbes since November, 1990. Yes, it is 19 years old. No trouble so far.

But in July this year, the main hose pipe was cracked---possibly chewed by rats. It took me 2 months to get a replacement, and that too of a different colour. It cost me Rs 700 (I'd paid Rs 3400 for the vac cleaner).

So I don't know whether to brand them as good or bad.
vnabhi, I am also facing the same problem with the hose pipe, I am searching this for the past 2 months and still haven't got it. Can you tell me from where you got the hose pipes ??
saravanan2603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 22:38   #4204
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanan2603 View Post
vnabhi, I am also facing the same problem with the hose pipe, I am searching this for the past 2 months and still haven't got it. Can you tell me from where you got the hose pipes ??
That was long back, and I gave that machine away to my cousin 2 years back. I remember getting it from the guy who used to turn up for the annual maintenance contract.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 01:11   #4205
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Guys, is this the right thread to seek suggestions on how to kill/avoid loads of tiny insects creeping in the kitchen cupboards, shelves et al. First I thought it to be roaches and used all sprays, It proved futile. After close examination, its some kind of a insect and not roaches. I have clicked some snaps of them in all sizes. Will post here if required. Kindly suggest.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 07:01   #4206
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Folks,

Chennai has made me a national level champion in getting bitten by mosquitoes - after spraying Hit etc once a week, running the vaporizer and burning the coil as well. My morning ablutions aren't complete without murdering a dozen of these vermin.

Please help - they are still not stopping. I am thinking of either buying myself a netting or one of those blue light mosquito killer contraptions. Please advise.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 08:31   #4207
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Avoid all these chemicals (Hit, Vaporizer, coil etc) which are bad for us. More so since you have a kid at home.

Open out the windows during the day and close them before sun-set - this will ensure most of the pesky mosquitos stay out.
And for the unlucky ones that still manage to get in, buy one of those electric-bats (shaped like a shuttle-racquet) and electrocute them to death.

Or you could have netting fixed on your windows/doors. Have used it earlier and this is pretty good in containing the menace.
The downsides being that the very tiny perforations don't allow air/breeze to get in. Plus, these accumulate dust like crazy and need to be washed regularly.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 09:04   #4208
BHPian
 
Kaumad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

I live in Chennai too and face this problem.

As SupremeBaleno has posted, nothing works better than this
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Open out the windows during the day and close them before sun-set - this will ensure most of the pesky mosquitos stay out.
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
buy one of those electric-bats (shaped like a shuttle-racquet) and electrocute them to death.
and this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
have netting fixed on your windows/doors. Have used it earlier and this is pretty good in containing the menace.
I do / have done all of the above three and the issue is solved to a great extent.
Kaumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 09:24   #4209
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 424
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

Chennai has made me a national level champion in getting bitten by mosquitoes - after spraying Hit etc once a week, running the vaporizer and burning the coil as well. My morning ablutions aren't complete without murdering a dozen of these vermin.

Please help - they are still not stopping. I am thinking of either buying myself a netting or one of those blue light mosquito killer contraptions. Please advise.
Been there
Living on the ground floor, I deal with far more mosquitoes than any other citizen, living on higher floors.
I'd prescribe the 3 step eradication technique, as follows:
1. Restriction.
2. Containment.
3. Eradication.

1. As far as I've seen, the best option is to keep the doors & windows closed as much as possible.
Not just mosquitoes and other flying vermin, it also helps keep out dust and pollution.

2. If, however, you are not in a position where you can keep all the doors & windows locked up most of the times, I would definitely suggest netting.
It can be a wee bit expensive if you are interested in covering up every single windows of the house.
But, once done, it should help keep the bloody mosquitoes out for good. Containment is key here. Once implemented, all you have to do is take care of the buggers inside the house.

3. Moving on to dealing with the buggers inside the house.
I've used pretty much everything available off the shelf, when it comes to mosquito hunting and killing.
And, from what I've seen, mosquitoes in Chennai seem totally resilient to any form of spray, liquidator, coil, or mats.

Try as many as you can, but I have my doubts regarding their efficiency.
So, how to deal with the ones that are inside your house?
Simple, get two of these bats, charge 'em up nice and good, and get swatting!

Name:  K1RPDAD41mosquitocontrol.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  22.8 KB

I'm not a sadistic man, but there is something incredibly satisfying watching the suckers burn and roast after getting stuck in the bat .
Battery life is pretty good. One charge will last a good week.
The one's we got even came with a 6 month warranty lol!

These steps should help you take down the menace. It certainly did for me.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 13th February 2014 at 09:26.
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 10:22   #4210
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Looks like its drastic times call for drastic measures. I used to have this high-frequency wav file which i used to play on my laptop. I somehow felt that it worked.
I am trying to build a contraption to trap them all though, i wonder if they are attracted to UV light. If yes, then i am planning on building a contraption for large scale eradication of these winged vampires.

@Sourav Is it wrong that i feel a similar emotion when i kill mosquitoes with the mosquito bat?

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 13th February 2014 at 10:23.
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 10:41   #4211
BHPian
 
razorBlades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 164
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

Chennai has made me a national level champion in getting bitten by mosquitoes - after spraying Hit etc once a week, running the vaporizer and burning the coil as well. My morning ablutions aren't complete without murdering a dozen of these vermin.

Please help - they are still not stopping. I am thinking of either buying myself a netting or one of those blue light mosquito killer contraptions. Please advise.
I can see your frustration! Welcome to the club

I have done netting (saint gobain) of the windows including the attached bathroom's exhaust vents! I keep the door closed during the evenings and when I come back from office, I do 3 rounds of mosquito hunting with the electric bat.. its fun..
remove all accumulated clothes which are openly kept in the bedroom.. these buggers mostly gather there! Check under the bed too..

When i see a lot of these buggers, I close all the windows and doors and switch on allout for couple of hours. later enter there with the bat and you can find most of them on the floor or the walls..

all the best!
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:58   #4212
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys, is this the right thread to seek suggestions on how to kill/avoid loads of tiny insects creeping in the kitchen cupboards, shelves et al. First I thought it to be roaches and used all sprays, It proved futile. After close examination, its some kind of a insect and not roaches. I have clicked some snaps of them in all sizes. Will post here if required. Kindly suggest.
My wife discovered that spreading plain boric powder does the trick of keeping all insects away from the kitchen.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 12:42   #4213
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
I can see your frustration! Welcome to the club

I have done netting (saint gobain) of the windows including the attached bathroom's exhaust vents! I keep the door closed during the evenings and when I come back from office, I do 3 rounds of mosquito hunting with the electric bat.. its fun..
remove all accumulated clothes which are openly kept in the bedroom.. these buggers mostly gather there! Check under the bed too..

When i see a lot of these buggers, I close all the windows and doors and switch on allout for couple of hours. later enter there with the bat and you can find most of them on the floor or the walls..

all the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Been there
Living on the ground floor, I deal with far more mosquitoes than any other citizen, living on higher floors.
I'd prescribe the 3 step eradication technique, as follows:
1. Restriction.
2. Containment.
3. Eradication.

1. As far as I've seen, the best option is to keep the doors & windows closed as much as possible.
Not just mosquitoes and other flying vermin, it also helps keep out dust and pollution.

2. If, however, you are not in a position where you can keep all the doors & windows locked up most of the times, I would definitely suggest netting.
It can be a wee bit expensive if you are interested in covering up every single windows of the house.
But, once done, it should help keep the bloody mosquitoes out for good. Containment is key here. Once implemented, all you have to do is take care of the buggers inside the house.

3. Moving on to dealing with the buggers inside the house.
I've used pretty much everything available off the shelf, when it comes to mosquito hunting and killing.
And, from what I've seen, mosquitoes in Chennai seem totally resilient to any form of spray, liquidator, coil, or mats.

Try as many as you can, but I have my doubts regarding their efficiency.
So, how to deal with the ones that are inside your house?
Simple, get two of these bats, charge 'em up nice and good, and get swatting!

Attachment 1207573

I'm not a sadistic man, but there is something incredibly satisfying watching the suckers burn and roast after getting stuck in the bat .
Battery life is pretty good. One charge will last a good week.
The one's we got even came with a 6 month warranty lol!

These steps should help you take down the menace. It certainly did for me.
Brothers,

I want something which is effortless. I already use my hands. Killed over 20 since morning. Which is why the blue/uv light thing. Has no one tried that?

Thanks - the netting is delayed since the landlords have to foot that bill :(

I do go through the routine of dusting all clothes/bags etc for mosquitoes daily without fail, morning/evening.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 13:19   #4214
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,605
Thanked: 6,691 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Which is why the blue/uv light thing. Has no one tried that?
Yes. I have several, and they are all awaiting new tubes at the moment <Blush>

Do they work? Yes, they do, but mosquitoes are not fatally can-not-resist attracted to them like some insects are. A proportion of them will fly into the trap, which leaves fewer to deal with in other ways. My mossie racket is always just at my hand.

We live in a bad area, but the mossie problem is, just recently, far worse than I have ever known it. We get out garden and outside the house sprayed sometimes, but the effect is only noticeable for a day.

We have screens on every window and on every door, but the mosquitoes still come and sit on them, flying in when they are opened. I want to spray the net screens with repellent, and will use Permethrin (keep it away from cats: it can kill them as well as the mossies), but not sure what to buy. Yesterday, I came across an Indian brand called Avar, on the internet. Then, I don't know how much to use.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:18   #4215
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 424
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Brothers,

I want something which is effortless. I already use my hands. Killed over 20 since morning. Which is why the blue/uv light thing. Has no one tried that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes. I have several, and they are all awaiting new tubes at the moment <Blush>

Do they work? Yes, they do, but mosquitoes are not fatally can-not-resist attracted to them like some insects are. A proportion of them will fly into the trap, which leaves fewer to deal with in other ways. My mossie racket is always just at my hand.

We have screens on every window and on every door, but the mosquitoes still come and sit on them, flying in when they are opened.
As Thad has mentioned in his post, the bug zapper thingy is not totally effective.

Thanks to your post, my research led me to this page from Wikipedia, which clearly states the drawback of the bug zapper.
Quoting from said page:
Quote:
These traps are not effective at killing biting insects (female mosquitoes and other insects), being much more effective at attracting and killing other harmless and beneficial insects. A study over a summer found that 13,789 insects were killed, of which 31 were biting insects. Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and water vapor in the breath of mammals, not ultraviolet light.
Considering that piece of information, I think our options for combating the mossie menace are down to the bats, nets and ultimately, our hands
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread Latheesh Shifting gears 578 18th August 2017 11:24
Building a truck camper : Home away from home DKG Modifications & Accessories 140 18th February 2016 18:40
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Joining a domain: XP home Vista Home Premium johy Shifting gears 0 22nd November 2007 17:14
Home Audio thread with inputs from the ICE forum gunbir Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 3rd August 2006 11:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks