Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 15:22   #4216
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes. I have several, and they are all awaiting new tubes at the moment <Blush>

Do they work? Yes, they do, but mosquitoes are not fatally can-not-resist attracted to them like some insects are. A proportion of them will fly into the trap, which leaves fewer to deal with in other ways. My mossie racket is always just at my hand.

We live in a bad area, but the mossie problem is, just recently, far worse than I have ever known it. We get out garden and outside the house sprayed sometimes, but the effect is only noticeable for a day.

We have screens on every window and on every door, but the mosquitoes still come and sit on them, flying in when they are opened. I want to spray the net screens with repellent, and will use Permethrin (keep it away from cats: it can kill them as well as the mossies), but not sure what to buy. Yesterday, I came across an Indian brand called Avar, on the internet. Then, I don't know how much to use.
A friend of mike who has a big garden, uses Neem oil as a spray. That gets rid of mosquitoes from his garden and house.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 15:40   #4217
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hmm, so i googled up and found http://www.megacatch.com/co2gassystemfaqs.html

I would love to buy the alpha/900 if it was one third the price and one third the size!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 22:46   #4218
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,615
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks to your post, my research led me to this page from Wikipedia, which clearly states the drawback of the bug zapper...

Considering that piece of information, I think our options for combating the mossie menace are down to the bats, nets and ultimately, our hands
The thing about them killing far more friendly insects than unfriendly ones is true when they are used outdoors. Indoors, they are still worth having. We don't have too many nice moths etc flying around the house, more houseflies and mossies, of which a percentage will get trapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A friend of mike who has a big garden, uses Neem oil as a spray. That gets rid of mosquitoes from his garden and house.
Burning neem leaves seems to be a traditional repellent. Fine, if one has garden staff. Actually, also not so fine as we have to live with the smoke. Coincidentally, my wife bought neem oil yesterday, and put to burn by our front-door net. She said that it was not covered in mosquitoes this morning, as it usually is.

Eradicating mosquitoes entirely has been suggested. One expects that environmental scientists and activists will be up in arms at such a suggestion, but they seem to say, "fine by us! Mosquitoes cause far, far more harm, to lots of different species, than any good they do."

No more mossies! Yes please! That would be wonderful.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th February 2014 at 22:48.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 23:23   #4219
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,446
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Eradicating mosquitoes entirely has been suggested. One expects that environmental scientists and activists will be up in arms
Let's eradicate the environmentalists first & then the mosquitoes.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 00:59   #4220
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My wife discovered that spreading plain boric powder does the trick of keeping all insects away from the kitchen.
Thanks mate. We are emptying the kitchen this weekend and gonna clean the cabins off. Will spread this boric powder everywhere and see if they get vanished.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 09:51   #4221
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Eradicating mosquitoes entirely has been suggested. One expects that environmental scientists and activists will be up in arms at such a suggestion, but they seem to say, "fine by us! Mosquitoes cause far, far more harm, to lots of different species, than any good they do."

No more mossies! Yes please! That would be wonderful.
On the other hand, Mosquitoes do a lot of vaccination job by inserting small dosages of bacterias and virus. Our body gets immune to them as we grow. If there are no mosquitoes, I am sure there will be epidemics.

Just keep the surrounding clean and dry that should control their population explosion. This is the toughest part thou
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 12:54   #4222
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hi, has anyone installed an overhead water pressure booster pump? The house I live in has some serious water flow issues. If a tap is opened anywhere else in the house, the flow slows down in other taps, sometimes to a trickle. Very annoying when you are all lathered up and the shower dries up... Its a 20 year old house with internal GI pipes. Not sure if it will help if the pipes are changed from overhead tank to each bathroom. There is just one pipe coming down from the overhead tank to my ground floor bathrooms - there are 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 2 service areas at this level, but only 1 incoming connection.
Any idea if the pressure booster will help? Any brand suggestions?

http://in.grundfos.com/products/find...m-booster.html
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 14:58   #4223
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi, has anyone installed an overhead water pressure booster pump? The house I live in has some serious water flow issues. If a tap is opened anywhere else in the house, the flow slows down in other taps, sometimes to a trickle. Very annoying when you are all lathered up and the shower dries up... Its a 20 year old house with internal GI pipes. Not sure if it will help if the pipes are changed from overhead tank to each bathroom. There is just one pipe coming down from the overhead tank to my ground floor bathrooms - there are 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 2 service areas at this level, but only 1 incoming connection.
Any idea if the pressure booster will help? Any brand suggestions?

http://in.grundfos.com/products/find...m-booster.html
They help to boost pressure. But in your case you should get good plumber to check what's happening. May be changing pipes may help. We have pipe coming to each floor. Usually this pipe is twice the size(1.5") of outlet pipes(0.75"). Usually pressure is enough.

However we have Pressure-pump to boost pressure in our new home. Since all our bath room has rain showers we needed it to have more pressure. We have 0.7 hp pump from grundfos.

Having pressure pump complicates things. Usually pressure pump connected always on mode, when any tap opens pressure pump on and pushes water. This makes it difficult for some taps (like wash basin, kitchen taps, WC). You will see water splashing all over your clothes. More pressure means more water consumed. Area like utility it might result in wastage. Hence we have pressure pump switch in one of the floor so that its switched on/off only when needed.


Please note that you should have taps, WC, showers pressure pump compatible, meaning they should handle pressure that your pressure pump delivers. Lets say if you set pressure @ 2.5 Kgf/sqcm, your fittings (taps, showers, WC units) must be able to handle the pressure otherwise you will have leakage in long run.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:14   #4224
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
However we have Pressure-pump to boost pressure in our new home. Since all our bath room has rain showers we needed it to have more pressure. We have 0.7 hp pump from grundfos.

Having pressure pump complicates things.

Please note that you should have taps, WC, showers pressure pump compatible, meaning they should handle pressure that your pressure pump delivers. Lets say if you set pressure @ 2.5 Kgf/sqcm, your fittings (taps, showers, WC units) must be able to handle the pressure otherwise you will have leakage in long run.
Thank you, very useful! I was concerned about pressure to devices like washing machines and dish washer. Maybe even geysers. I will have a plumber check, but short of replacing pipes, not sure what else can be done. I believe the pipes that deliver into each bathroom or utility area, are reduced in size compared to the 1.5" (or more) dia coming from overhead tank. Only other way I see is to have separate lines to each bathroom from the overhead source. Not sure of the economics of this and the complication of breakage etc.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:22   #4225
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Only other way I see is to have separate lines to each bathroom from the overhead source. Not sure of the economics of this and the complication of breakage etc.
How tall is overhead source to point of contention? In our case even 17' is enough to get good pressure. Separate line from overhead source to bathroom will cost more I think. You can ask for 3*0.75" pipe coming from overhead till ground floor, have a diversion for bathroom and other area.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:32   #4226
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
How tall is overhead source to point of contention? In our case even 17' is enough to get good pressure. Separate line from overhead source to bathroom will cost more I think. You can ask for 3*0.75" pipe coming from overhead till ground floor, have a diversion for bathroom and other area.
The overhead tank is at a height of about a 3rd storey level. Mine is an independent house, with a portion on the first floor, then a terrace and from the terrace, the overhead tank has been built starting at a height of about 12+ feet from the terrace - probably to accommodate an additional floor in the future. The internal GI pipes may be rusted and blocked due to the age of the building, but it is a bother, when you cannot open 2 taps in the same bathroom, without slowing down significantly the flow of water.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:37   #4227
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The overhead tank is at a height of about a 3rd storey level. Mine is an independent house, with a portion on the first floor, then a terrace and from the terrace, the overhead tank has been built starting at a height of about 12+ feet from the terrace - probably to accommodate an additional floor in the future. The internal GI pipes may be rusted and blocked due to the age of the building, but it is a bother, when you cannot open 2 taps in the same bathroom, without slowing down significantly the flow of water.
If this is the case pipes are problem. With the height mentioned you should have enough pressure. May be changing pipes will solve the issue. Using pressure pump might create a issue if pump can not push the water!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:41   #4228
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If this is the case pipes are problem. With the height mentioned you should have enough pressure. May be changing pipes will solve the issue. Using pressure pump might create a issue if pump can not push the water!
Ok I am going to have the external pipes changed soon. Dont have an option to change the internal ones due to the amount of work that will be involved. Hopefully this should suffice. Will report back once this is done.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 00:13   #4229
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,615
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Yes, we have a pressure booster pump, but it just that, it boosts pressure. It should not be answer to bad or faulty plumbing. It gives lovely pressure in the shower, but beware of connecting the whole house, as any water wastage will be magnified.

I seem to remember something about them being illegal in some parts, because of the extra consumption. Delhi? or did I dream that?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 00:25   #4230
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

I'm not sure if it is faulty plumbing or faulty design. There is a single pipe entering a 2000sq ft portion that has two toilets, two service areas, one kitchen, outside servants toilet and outside taps for gardening.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread Latheesh Shifting gears 581 21st August 2017 18:36
Building a truck camper : Home away from home DKG Modifications & Accessories 140 18th February 2016 18:40
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Joining a domain: XP home Vista Home Premium johy Shifting gears 0 22nd November 2007 17:14
Home Audio thread with inputs from the ICE forum gunbir Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 3rd August 2006 11:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks