Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th September 2015, 19:39   #5491
BHPian

Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys... I've seen special switches for motors. Anybody know what I mean? What do they do? Are they recommended?
Thad you were right. The 6A MCB was insufficient. I expected the MCB to have a 20% tolerance but it was probably on the lower side and it was tripping when switching on. It was also making a vibration should which was sometimes staying long and sometimes would disappear in a few seconds on startup.
I also found the specialized motor starter switches but decided to go with the MCB solution instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You may have nuisance tripping if the running current itself is 6 A or thereabouts. You will need the next higher rating - may be 10 A.
Prowler, spot on!. I was expecting some issues with the inrush current but thought it would still be safer considering I have had three burnouts of the plug and socket in this year alone. However, the 6A MCB wasnt stable enought and I went to get the 10A one but the shop only had 16, and I took the C16 mini MCB. All works well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
6A is the running current. The starting current can be three times as much. If you fit a 6A circuit breaker, check the specifications for short term (less than 1 sec) load rating.
Absolutely right and I realized this and changed to 16A (as there was no stock of the 10A. Its probably not the right approach but I had to get it done today.

So here is the look before and after the change. I realized since I was getting rid of the Plug and Socket, I suddenly had to get the motor wire into the board. So I drilled a hole in a dummy and sent it through that and taped it behind to make it thicker so there is no pull pressure on the connections inside. I also changed the wire going into the motor to a single long 2.5sqmm finolex 3 core cable as the earlier one had a joint and was looking lousy. Hopefully I dont see any burnouts any more. I have three smoke detectors in my house and I keep 2 inside my DB. I will move one to the motor area for a few weeks!

diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 19:57   #5492
BHPian

Don't use the MCB as a On/off switch. It will fail shortly. Use a motor starter instead.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 20:29   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Don't use the MCB as a On/off switch. It will fail shortly. Use a motor starter instead.

This mcb is always on. There is a two way switch for us and another tenant on the floor above. Those switches control the power on and off for the motor.
Old 4th September 2015, 21:31   #5494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
That is really sad. Surprised that the belkin cannot protect the device by popping a fuse. Please do update us when you do the final damages calculation!
Update as follows

1. Belkin actually went kaput and smells of burnt electrical. But it managed to save the router, which is now working on another extena.
2. The Hitachi Fridge had its circuit board fused. Replaced at 6k. It is electical component and carries only a 1 year warranty.
3. IFB has its pump for the water outlet not working (probably fused by the power fluctuation). The guy visiting mentioned it to be clogged with dirt and would be replaced under warranty. Probably the first time I appreciate the unskilled IFB service staff. They would never understand the issue whenever we raised a complaint and instead started few newer ones. Finally gave up calling them until this incident. Only concern, the part is out of stock and will take a couple more days. I hope they can source the pump & replace under warranty.

I am thankful my AC's survived this storm.

EDIT: I am not sure whether the guy's diagnosis of the pump failure is correct though, but will wait and watch

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th September 2015 at 21:32.
vinit.merchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 16:39   #5495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I've been using a Samsung full-auto for 8 years now, absolutely ZERO maintenance and still going strong. Do buy one with an inbuilt heater option if you can find one. Warm wash is a handy feature to have, and the prices aren't too different (~1-2K more).
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I'm glad you don't have whirlpool in your list. Between Samsung and lg you can choose either. The selection should be based on your size capacity you need, that's all. Choose the one that completes your daily load in one go.
Thanks for the response guys. I finally zeroed down on LG T7270TDDL and paid Rs.13,900 for the same and got it delivered today. Don't know how long I'll have to wait for the technician to come around for a demonstration.

One more query. Which are the best detergent brands that can be used with top loaders? I mean, should I go for top loader specific detergents or anything will do? Suggestions from long term users of a specific brand are welcome
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 17:07   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Which are the best detergent brands that can be used with top loaders?

We use all brands, depending on the price that month but we have specifically always chosen the top loader specific power of surf, Ariel or now the new henko. Have noticed that the henko smell is better, never analyzed which takes better care though. Feedback from wife is henko, Ariel and surf in that order of preference.
Old 16th September 2015, 10:22   #5497
BHPian

Got our fridge repaired but we no longer have mental peace with it. Planning to buy new in exchange. Can someone please recommend a highly reliable model / brand frost-free fridge? It would be neat to be able to extend the warranty or have extended protection that covers all costs including gas recharge and parts replacements for as long as possible.

Thanks a ton!
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 11:12   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Got our fridge repaired but we no longer have mental peace with it. Planning to buy new in exchange. Can someone please recommend a highly reliable model / brand frost-free fridge? It would be neat to be able to extend the warranty or have extended protection that covers all costs including gas recharge and parts replacements for as long as possible.

Thanks a ton!
I have 3 Kelvinators, 1 LG (both direct cool), 1 Samsung (FF) in my family. All are running good especially the Kelvinators. They are truly built to last.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 12:02   #5499
Team-BHP Support

Would the main board of a washing machine give up due to 250 V supply voltage as opposed to 220-240 V? Our Bosch front loader's board gave up couple of weeks back with the circuit breaker tripping and the technician said this had happened due to the 250 V supply on the 15 A socket. He had tested it using a DMM and confirmed it in front of us. He has advised us to use a voltage stabiliser.

The replacement board costs a whopping 9.5k! Getting it replaced today. Ordered a voltage stabiliser from Amazon which costs another 3k! The customer support from Bosch was good regardless - the technician attended the issue within a few days after confirmation over a phone call.

Are any of you guys using a voltage stabiliser for your washing machine due to the voltage fluctuations? We were using one only for the AC. Looks like I will need one for the LCD TV and the fridge as well.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 12:08   #5500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please recommend a highly reliable model / brand frost-free fridge?
I have had really good experience with a Whirlpool. Buy it & forget it. Amazing cooling & fuss-free. Same with my Whirlpool AC.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 12:21   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to buy new in exchange. Can someone please recommend a highly reliable model / brand frost-free fridge?
I suggest you stay with your newly repaired fridge as you will get scrap value in exchange. Something around 1000-1500 rs. If you still want to, check the Samsung fridges. I have two - one is 15+ years old and another is close to 10. No issues at all except age related issues like rubber of door gaps etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Are any of you guys using a voltage stabiliser for your washing machine due to the voltage fluctuations?
That sucks and maybe I should get stabilizers too. Have 2 washing machines and one dishwasher that are directly connected to mains. Have two other TVs that are also direct connected via a spike buster.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:22   #5502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
That sucks and maybe I should get stabilizers too. Have 2 washing machines and one dishwasher that are directly connected to mains. Have two other TVs that are also direct connected via a spike buster.
Check the voltage from the sockets using a DMM at different intervals in a day. If its anything above 240V, it may be a good idea to invest in a stabiliser.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 12:25   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Check the voltage from the sockets using a DMM at different intervals in a day. If its anything above 240V, it may be a good idea to invest in a stabiliser.
I do have plug based volt meters which I can use to check Voltage. Been having some fluctuation over the past week at nights. Fridges are using stabilizers and so are ACs. Just the ones that I mentioned are not having protection.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:26   #5504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have had really good experience with a Whirlpool. Buy it & forget it. Amazing cooling & fuss-free. Same with my Whirlpool AC.
Yeah, the fridge I'm talking about is a Whirlpool. We bought an AC and a small fridge from Whirlpool and were very happy with those. But then we bought this large fridge and it has been very unreliable since the start.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 12:32   #5505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, the fridge I'm talking about is a Whirlpool. We bought an AC and a small fridge from Whirlpool and were very happy with those. But then we bought this large fridge and it has been very unreliable since the start.
From whatever I have read/heard. Avoid buying a large fridge, yes it does look good, but spares are hard to come by, at least at small places like mine. Instead, buy 2/3 small fridges, as per your requirement.

I have 2 fridges under 300 liters & one under 200 liters.

My friend has a Samsung Shoppe & am so tempted to buy a 700/800 liter good looking refrigerators but this reason is enough as a deterrent.

And at least you will have another fridge for back-up in case one fails, with a large fridge, you can't depend on anything.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote

« The iPhone Thread | - »