Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2016, 11:54   #6121
BHPian
 
devil_klm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
We have a whirlpool white magic 651s washing machine. Last week all of a sudden, while in middle of a wash, it stopped working. And is not even turning on anymore.
I would suggest you to check with any local stores in Trivandrum. Whirlpool is known for its sensitive behaviour towards voltage variations. I used a stabilizer with my White magic splash and it stopped working again. Bought a bosch washing machine. Better you can try to sell it off after repair and get a new one from another brand, provided it is old enough and you are able to fetch a decent amount by selling this. Exchanges will give you max 2.5K i think. Check for any onam deals
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 12:24   #6122
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,038
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

I need to replace my existing shower head with something that really helps pressure the water and give me a nice hot waterfall'ish shower. What do you guys recommend I get? I just want to replace the standard shower head with something much better.

The pressure in our apartment is a bit weak, so I prefer a shower head that helps increase the pressure - if that makes any sense.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 12:42   #6123
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hi Guys,
Please help me on below query.
We have a whirlpool white magic ....I asked him the estimate cost for the whole job. He said around 3k to 4k for new board and around 800rs for labor.
Anybody has a previous experience repairing this model. Or has an idea on how much it should cost for a similar repair?!! Kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
I had a similar repair done for my whirlpool washing machine couple of months back. The machine was not spinning/rinsing, and the response was that board had gone kaput and has to replaced. Initally the quote given was around 4.5, after speaking to the call centre and the service centre, they suddenly revised the quote to 3.8k with 6 months warranty. Labour was Rs.500

The washing machine is fine now. Touch-wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
I would suggest you to check with any local stores in Trivandrum. Whirlpool is known for its sensitive behaviour towards voltage variations. Better you can try to sell it off after repair and get a new one from another brand, provided it is old enough and you are able to fetch a decent amount by selling this. Exchanges will give you max 2.5K i think. Check for any onam deals
Didn't find voltage issue much of a problem. We had this whirlpool now close to 12-14 years! :-)
Exchange prices are pathetic to say the least! I was given a quote of Rs.500 (in Not working condition) and Rs.1000 (in working condition).

Last edited by haria : 13th September 2016 at 12:46.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 18:25   #6124
BHPian
 
devil_klm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I need to replace my existing shower head with something that really helps pressure the water and give me a nice hot waterfall'ish shower. What do you guys recommend I get? I just want to replace the standard shower head with something much better.

The pressure in our apartment is a bit weak, so I prefer a shower head that helps increase the pressure - if that makes any sense.
I would recommend Kohler magna
http://www.in.kohler.com/product-detail/36878in
I am using this in one of my bathroom. It got 4 modes and i am satisfied with the purchase. I am in 1st floor of a G+5 apartment. Pressure was decent enough for me to use this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

Exchange prices are pathetic to say the least! I was given a quote of Rs.500 (in Not working condition) and Rs.1000 (in working condition).
500 is the lowest i got from appliance showrooms and from a local scrap dealer. Amazon offered 300-400 in large appliance exchange offer. Bosch offered me 2500, and accordingly the price of new machine was higher there.
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 09:06   #6125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hi - I am in the process of moving places and have some furniture/appliances that are due for a refresh.

1. General loose furniture - I am contemplating if I should buy stuff from Urban Ladder/Pepper Fry or if I should go with rental furniture from Furlenco or Rentomojo? Any reviews/experiences would be helpful.

2. Mattress - I currently use a Sunday Latex Plus Mattress and Sunday Ortho Plus Mattress for Master bedroom and Parents room respectively. Great products and superb service. They are recent purchases and hence don't plan to change them. Even if I go with the rented furniture, I do not plan to use rented mattresses. Thats out of question for me from a hygiene point of view.

3. Sofa - I want to buy a great sofa in Bangalore. I want to go for a leather sofa because they tend to last longer. Stanley is an option that I am considering. Any other brands which have better VFM compared to Stanley. I spend about 4-5 hours in a day working/lounging.

4. TV - Have a Sony 32 inch that is in perfect working condition. However, it is only half HD. I want any suggestions for a 42 inch from any reputed brands. My requirement: I want something with main stream features but want to avoid the geeky/non-mainstream features such as 3D etc., It is for normal viewing (1-2 hours daily) of TV/Apple TV but now gaming needs. Something which has great sound would be appreciated. Tried playing Music from my Apple TV on the existing Sony TV and it was not that great.

5. Fridge - Have an LG and perfectly happy with it. Plan to stick with it.

6. Washing machine - Have a Croma which is 5 years old. Had to get it serviced 2 times, but now it makes a lot of noise. I read through the posts on this thread and seems like Bosch is the one to go with. I do not mind the price, but mother (70 yrs old) seems to think top loading is more convenient for her. I am not sure if it is just misconceived notion that she has (as she not used a Front loading machine) or if the front loading ones are genuinely not suitable for senior citizens. Any thoughts from members who have seniors using the machines will be helpful.

7. Kitchen/Wardrobe - Any good brands/outlets in Bangalore that can do a small kitchen and wardrobes. Should be based in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 10:54   #6126
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 257
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi - I am in the process of moving places and have some furniture/appliances that are due for a refresh.

1. General loose furniture - I am contemplating if I should buy stuff from Urban Ladder/Pepper Fry or if I should go with rental furniture from Furlenco or Rentomojo? Any reviews/experiences would be helpful.

2. Mattress - I currently use a Sunday Latex Plus Mattress and Sunday Ortho Plus Mattress for Master bedroom and Parents room respectively. Great products and superb service. They are recent purchases and hence don't plan to change them. Even if I go with the rented furniture, I do not plan to use rented mattresses. Thats out of question for me from a hygiene point of view.

3. Sofa - I want to buy a great sofa in Bangalore. I want to go for a leather sofa because they tend to last longer. Stanley is an option that I am considering. Any other brands which have better VFM compared to Stanley. I spend about 4-5 hours in a day working/lounging.

4. TV - Have a Sony 32 inch that is in perfect working condition. However, it is only half HD. I want any suggestions for a 42 inch from any reputed brands. My requirement: I want something with main stream features but want to avoid the geeky/non-mainstream features such as 3D etc., It is for normal viewing (1-2 hours daily) of TV/Apple TV but now gaming needs. Something which has great sound would be appreciated. Tried playing Music from my Apple TV on the existing Sony TV and it was not that great.

5. Fridge - Have an LG and perfectly happy with it. Plan to stick with it.

6. Washing machine - Have a Croma which is 5 years old. Had to get it serviced 2 times, but now it makes a lot of noise. I read through the posts on this thread and seems like Bosch is the one to go with. I do not mind the price, but mother (70 yrs old) seems to think top loading is more convenient for her. I am not sure if it is just misconceived notion that she has (as she not used a Front loading machine) or if the front loading ones are genuinely not suitable for senior citizens. Any thoughts from members who have seniors using the machines will be helpful.

7. Kitchen/Wardrobe - Any good brands/outlets in Bangalore that can do a small kitchen and wardrobes. Should be based in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
I have furnished my entire home with furniture from Urban Ladder and find it pretty convenient . Great Quality and out of the world customer service . Very nice .

They even have awesome mattresses if you'd like and you get a large cart discount if you buy in larger quantities .

They even do a design service for free .

I am also looking to replace my washing machine . The one i have right now is a whirlpool and is working absolutely fine but its been almost 6 years , with extended warranties so far and a fantastic customer service that has never disappointed .

Thinking of replacing it with a newer whirlpool , Bloom wash 360 . They claim its better than most front loading machines . Irrespective of claims . unless someone mounts a front loading machine at a height , so that I don't have to bed to take out and put in clothes . I wont use one . Too much strain to the back . Specially for mom and dad it would be a pain .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 10:59   #6127
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
1. General loose furniture - I am contemplating if I should buy stuff from Urban Ladder/Pepper Fry..
3. Sofa - I want to buy a great sofa in Bangalore. I want to go for a leather sofa because they tend to last longer.
6. Washing machine - Have a Croma which is 5 years old. Had to get it serviced 2 times, but now it makes a lot of noise.
1. & 3.) My UrbanLadder experience has been good and I plan to purchase a sofa from them. I have purchased 2 LaZboy recliners from them and am waiting on a deal on a fabric sofa. They have pretty good stuff and their prices are lower than Stanley for the same item.

6.) The top loads seem easier for seniors but when taking out wet clothes, it is a strain. I have 2 front loads and my mom (68) seems ok with them. My father in law who is 78, finds his front load difficult to use due to the low opening. I suggest you can install it on a pedestal or a shelf so that there is no strain while putting clothes in and taking them out. My top load experience has not been good and our 8kg whirlpool was more like a glorified bucket. It would not mix soap well and failed very frequently. Finally exchanged it after 4-5 years of frustration for a front load. On the noise factor, I recently purchased 4 round feet to dampen the noise and reduce the vibration and movement of one of my front loads and it has helped quite a bit.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 12:36   #6128
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 414
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

LG does have a new model where the washer is at a height, the sidekick I think. Plan to get one for mom who has joint pains, on and off.

unless someone mounts a front loading machine at a height , so that I don't have to bed to take out and put in clothes .
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 07:38   #6129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I have furnished my entire home with furniture from Urban Ladder and find it pretty convenient . Great Quality and out of the world customer service . Very nice .

They even have awesome mattresses if you'd like and you get a large cart discount if you buy in larger quantities .
Thanks. I am quite impressed with the mattress quality from Sunday mattresses. I think mattresses are more specialised and important to me and prefer to do thorough research. Urban Ladder in my view is great for furniture compared to the rest, but did not quite like their confusing mattress range. Its strictly a personal opinion though. I checked out Urban Ladder and many other brands before buying a Sunday and the differences are pretty significant on the product, pricing and service front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
6.) The top loads seem easier for seniors but when taking out wet clothes, it is a strain. I have 2 front loads and my mom (68) seems ok with them. My father in law who is 78, finds his front load difficult to use due to the low opening. I suggest you can install it on a pedestal or a shelf so that there is no strain while putting clothes in and taking them out. My top load experience has not been good and our 8kg whirlpool was more like a glorified bucket. It would not mix soap well and failed very frequently. Finally exchanged it after 4-5 years of frustration for a front load. On the noise factor, I recently purchased 4 round feet to dampen the noise and reduce the vibration and movement of one of my front loads and it has helped quite a bit.
So you are saying that front loading is better than top loading based on experience of seniors' in your household? Getting a front load installed on a pedestal sounds impractical in my case, because getting it done well is a pain. If there are any readymades available, then it would make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
LG does have a new model where the washer is at a height, the sidekick I think. Plan to get one for mom who has joint pains, on and off.

unless someone mounts a front loading machine at a height , so that I don't have to bed to take out and put in clothes .
I looked up the sidekick model on the internet but it "top load" module is at the feet level. It only makes the problem worse. It does look attractive from a feature point of view.

Any feedback from the veterans in the group about the usability of the front/top load machine. Also is Bosch the best that is available?
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:22   #6130
BHPian
 
NoMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

How would I go about finding reputable Independent mechanics for IFB washing machine ? Word of mouth ? Classified adverts ? Online yellow pages ?

I have a Serena which has conked off after 6.5 years of service. Not a problem during that time. It won't start and wife reported a burning smell when she swtiched it on. She switched it off immediately.
NoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 17:59   #6131
BHPian
 
r_devakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am looking for Video door phone with features of color display, snapshot recording, low light capability. Any suggestion on brand / models?
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:33   #6132
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 481
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I need to replace my existing shower head with something that really helps pressure the water and give me a nice hot waterfall'ish shower.
The pressure in our apartment is a bit weak, so I prefer a shower head that helps increase the pressure - if that makes any sense.
Did you find any ? I live in an independent house and my water pressure is pathetic. Even my washing machine cribs about the low pressure. Ideally I need a pressure booster for the whole water tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am looking for Video door phone with features of color display, snapshot recording, low light capability. Any suggestion on brand / models?
I found one in Amazon : http://www.amazon.in/dp/B014J8WYPC
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:35   #6133
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,038
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Did you find any ? I live in an independent house and my water pressure is pathetic. Even my washing machine cribs about the low pressure. Ideally I need a pressure booster for the whole water tank.


I found one in Amazon : http://www.amazon.in/dp/B014J8WYPC
I looked at the price quoted and I just re-used an existing shower head. Cleaned her up and she was good to go
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:42   #6134
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,721 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I looked at the price quoted and I just re-used an existing shower head. Cleaned her up and she was good to go
Is there such a product in the market which will increase the pressure of the water coming out of the shower head?

I never knew that

Whenever we stay in 5 star hotels we get enamored with the thick pressure we get from the taps and shower and think why we dont we get such pressure at home. Even I wondered that many times

Answer is they have a staff who clean it regularly (my guess is weekly) which keeps the mouth of the tap/shower head clean of dust/particles which really helps in the water pressure

So yes, instead of spending money on fancy pressure increasing products, its best to spent 15 mins and clean the shower heads/taps..LOL!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:53   #6135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,108
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is there such a product in the market which will increase the pressure of the water coming out of the shower head?

I never knew that

Whenever we stay in 5 star hotels we get enamored with the thick pressure we get from the taps and shower and think why we dont we get such pressure at home. Even I wondered that many times

Answer is they have a staff who clean it regularly (my guess is weekly) which keeps the mouth of the tap/shower head clean of dust/particles which really helps in the water pressure

So yes, instead of spending money on fancy pressure increasing products, its best to spent 15 mins and clean the shower heads/taps..LOL!
Cleaning the shower head can help you by increasing the water flow, but it can never solve the "Low Pressure" due to insufficient water head room. For a good flow at least 20 feet of head is required and that too with larger diameter pipes. That is where online pressure pumps shine. With these pumps you do not even need an over head tank.

On the whole I have found that
. increasing the pipe diameter from 12mm to 25mm increases the pressure
. Cleaning the shower head regularly increases the flow
. Using Single lever diverter for controlling shower and tap flows decreases pressure significantly (the decrease is approximately equal to one floor reduction in tank height)

The cheapest long term solution if you are staying in your own house is
. Elevate the overhead water tank. Locate it either at the highest point or build a dedicated tower above the staircase well
. Change the pipes from 12-18mm normally used to 25 or 40mm pipes
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread Latheesh Shifting gears 631 13th October 2017 11:14
Building a truck camper : Home away from home DKG Modifications & Accessories 140 18th February 2016 18:40
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Joining a domain: XP home Vista Home Premium johy Shifting gears 0 22nd November 2007 17:14
Home Audio thread with inputs from the ICE forum gunbir Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 3rd August 2006 11:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks